Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family tent?

Options
  • 25-05-2013 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Hey we have been used to doing a few cycle holidays over the years camping out etc but along came 2 sprogs and camping taken a hit! trying to get back into it this year and have been recommended the vango icarus 4 man tent with 2 seperate berths and stand up bit inside. Prob not going to do any cycle holdiays as the wee wanes cant stay in the bike trailer for too long adn get fed up so prob head to a camp site in Cork etc and do a few short cycle trips. Can anyone recommend the Vango Icarus or any alternatives for bang for buck!
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kfod

I bought one last year for similar reasons to you, got it on a good deal from fieldandtrek, only used it a few times last year as it was at the end of the summer that I bought it but it is a good tent, you wouldn't want to be going to far from your car with it as its heavy (about 12kg I think) but thats standard for any big family tent.
    It has the Vango "TBS" bracing system which tightens the whole structure up nicely if the wind is blowing, there are nice pockets and storage pouches inside, all in all I like it.

Saying that if I was back buying again I might maybe look at something smaller like a Vango Omega which would open up some slightly wilder options....horses for courses I guess.

oh ya, the two rooms in the icarus are really one room with a clipped in divider sheet. This is either a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you feel! I like it I can stick my head under and check the kids (or give out if I have to lol) But if you want a bit of space between you and the smallies then a tent with rooms at each end of the vestibule might be better (this shape http://www.decathlon.co.uk/t42-dome-4-man-family-tent-blue-id_8090978.html)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

A friend of mine has the Icarus and it's a lovely tent. There are others out there with as much bang for you buck though. Millet's in Mary Street Dublin have a great sale on at the moment - you can get a Gelert Colorado 4 for €120 (if they're not sold out). I bought the last Colorado 6 from them for €160 - it's an excellent tent with plenty of living space and sleeping space.

I'm planning on selling this one when I get it out of the attic. One pole section is split which I'll be replacing before listing for sale. If you're interested I'll give first dibs to a boardsie. I spent a lot of last summer camping in it with our two kids - it's a grand tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

There are a lot of tents for sale on done deal in the camping section. I'd say you could pick up a good bargain there. A lot of them probably used once or twice and the seller didn't take to camping. I follow it because I am on the look out for a quick pitch tent for stopovers.
    I'd like this one if I was buying. http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/camping/4820305

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Granite Head

kfod wrote: »

Saying that if I was back buying again I might maybe look at something smaller like a Vango Omega which would open up some slightly wilder options....horses for courses I guess.

+1 Omega 4 - fairly light (@6kg) and robust (stood up to a gale out on Boffin) and can be picked up for less than €180

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Some good savings on tents in Argos this week....

• Advertisement
Advertisement