Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decision to make- med in Italy or Hungary?

Options
  • 25-05-2013 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hey,

I did the LC, didn't get med here in Ireland so tried applying to a few European universities. Out of all, the two that were my top choices were Italy (University of Milan or university of Pavia) and Hungary (Semmelweis University, Budapest) and I got in both(the course is offered in English in both places btw). And now I'm confused as to which offer to take up. Ideally, I'd like to live in Italy more because it's safer and italian is a relatively easier language to learn than Hungarian so that's a + as well. However, the English Medicine Program in Budapest has been around for many years now and so is more...established (?) than the one in Italy which only started 3 years ago. That might affect my chances at employment, I think. But then, university of Milan and Pavia are very well reputed so may be it's not that big a deal?

Ah, I'm just pretty confused about which offer to take up, both are really good and have their share of pluses and minuses. Some help please. Anyone in the same situation or anyone know someone doing med in either places and know how is it going? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Brods

Take all this with a pinch of salt, having done medicine in Ireland I don't really know much about the international route, but a degree from within the EU for an Irish citizen can't be discriminated against in terms of employment, as far as I'm aware.

If it was me, I'd be going to Italy as I love the country, but know of a girl (a friends sister) who went to Hungary to study Vet and she's working back in Ireland now I think. My friend went over to visit her sister a few times and she seemed to be getting on really well when she was in Budapest.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Truelegend

Hi cocopopsxx. I have also been accepted into Semmelweis for medicine and will be starting first year this september. I have done a good bit of research on the university and from what I have heard, Irish students have no problem getting work back here in Ireland when they qualify as the university is well regarded over here. The big advantage of picking Budapest over Milan is that there is a large Irish student population over in Budapest particularly for veterinary. However Hungarian is a very hard language to learn and is considered the 5th most difficult language that English speakers can learn. Fortunately the med students only need a basic understanding of it, for working in the hospitals and I don't think you do that until third year. I hope this helps.

Advertisement