Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are 12volt plugs spring loaded?

Options
  • 25-05-2013 3:44am

This makes no sense to me it's an electrical connection that pushes itself apart by the positive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

It shouldn't. There should be enough resistance between the sides if the socket and the sprung sections of the side of the plug to keep it pressed in. The spring on the positive tip then keeps it firmly in place, so the connection remains constant even when it gets moved slightly

Hmmm, I get some of them pushing out and suffer voltage drop, disconnect, frequency hum and excess heat. Guess I oughta pull out the ground pins and avoid the bog roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Hmmm, I get some of them pushing out and suffer voltage drop, disconnect, frequency hum and excess heat. Guess I oughta pull out the ground pins and avoid the bog roads.

You can bend the side springs to get more friction but you're right its a crap design considering it was originally designed for cigar lighting its not surprising. The truck places usually have the hella/din type which is much better and also a 3 pin 12/24v one.

Advertisement