Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50 meter run

Options
  • 25-05-2013 7:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi All
    I am putting a new brick shed up the garden and I want to put the washing machine and freezer & a light up there
    It will be around 50 meters from the main board in the house and im trying to get all the required parts before getting started
    What dia cable would be required
    I have picked up a secondhand fuseboard for the shed
    But the price of Swa cable is mad
    I was thinking of Nymj inside trunking would 2.5 be ok
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

For the swa, 6sq would be able to carry 25 amp over 50 meters before voltdrop is an issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭jjd

Thanks for the reply
    I would imagine 6sq in swa would cost an arm & a leg
    just a quick google reckons 7 to 12 amp for the washer and 7 for the freezer
    Do you reckon the 4sq (2.5 ) is not heavy enough ?
    Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

jjd wrote: »
    Hi All
    I am putting a new brick shed up the garden and I want to put the washing machine and freezer & a light up there
    It will be around 50 meters from the main board in the house and im trying to get all the required parts before getting started
    What dia cable would be required
    I have picked up a secondhand fuseboard for the shed
    But the price of Swa cable is mad
    I was thinking of Nymj inside trunking would 2.5 be ok
    Thanks

You are building a shed.Fair play.:)

Why not invest the few extra euros in the SWA then........(futureproofing)

It will be both weather resistant and also impact resistant too.

Much better than nymj.

I had 3 core 10 sq SWA ran through my house,and then underground down to my garage.

It was just on 44 meters of a run from board to board.

Fuse board in garage is an IP Rated board.

Thanks for the reply paddy
    I would love to use the swa cable but the price of 50 m is nearly half the price of the shed :-)
    doing it on a budget trying to get as much as i can secondhand
    Have got the window the door and tiles for the roof + fuseboard
    next is the blocks and cement and relatives to dig it out
    I was thinking of nymj as it is a lot cheaper and i can put in ducting ( have some handy)
    my main concern is 2.5mm enough as i can get it cheap but obviously cheap will be no consolation if if its not right (unsafe)
    I know 10 sq would be future proof but its only a 10 x12 shed and im not going to be welding in it
    Just washing machine and freezer
    2.5 seems to be the bare minimum for a double socket ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

I would love to use the swa cable but the price of 50 m is nearly half the price of the shed :-)
    I was thinking of nymj as it is a lot cheaper and i can put in ducting ( have some handy)
    my main concern is 2.5mm enough as i can get it cheap but obviously cheap will be no consolation if if its not right (unsafe)
    I know 10 sq would be future proof but its only a 10 x12 shed and im not going to be welding in it

no 2.5 is no use -prob 6 minimum at that distance although i haven't checked

just get the swa it's simpler than messing about with nym

im surprised if there's a big price difference between swa and nym

• Advertisement

SWA is a couple of euro per sq meter from any good leccy wholesalers.I think I paid around 4 euro a square meter for the 3 core 10 sq when I was getting the stuff for my garage build.That was a few years ago now.

So 6 sq would be cheaper.

You are spending out money on building a brick garage,so invest in the SWA.....you are also futureproofing too.You may decide to add more sockets or turn the garage into a diy/workshop..:)

Meteor electrical have a nice app for pricing things. About €4 for 10 sq swa, €2 for 6 sq swa. €1.70 for 6 sq nymj. I would go with swa but price around.

frankmul wrote: »
    Meteor electrical have a nice app for pricing things. About €4 for 10 sq swa, €2 for 6 sq swa. €1.70 for 6 sq nymj. I would go with swa but price around.

Its a "no brainer" so.

SWA for the win.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

paddy147 wrote: »
    SWA is a couple of euro per sq meter from any good leccy wholesalers.I think I paid around 4 euro a square meter for the 3 core 10 sq when I was getting the stuff for my garage build.That was a few years ago now.
    Great price for a "square" metre :pac:
    You are spending out money on building a brick garage,so invest in the SWA.....you are also futureproofing too.You may decide to add more sockets or turn the garage into a diy/workshop..:)
    SWA won't future proof anything; it will just increase the level of protection. It's the csa of the core that will allow for expansion down the line.

If it's only 30c in the difference for NYMJ and SWA, the extra cost could end up less than the cost of the ducting.

cast_iron wrote: »
    Great price for a "square" metre :pac:

SWA won't future proof anything; it will just increase the level of protection. It's the csa of the core that will allow for expansion down the line.

If it's only 30c in the difference for NYMJ and SWA, the extra cost could end up less than the cost of the ducting.

I have a fixation with square meters...:D:D

I should have said and meant "per meter".

Future proofing....regarding installing at least 6 square or even 10 square SWA,as opposed to normal 2.5 nymj as the OP was talking about doing.

The OP may want or need to instal more sockets in the future and run more equipment in the garage,in years to come

So hense me saying futureproofing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

You are probably looking at an electrical load in the region of 3kW.
    About 20 Amps (allowing for low power factor).

2.5 sqmm copper can carry this load but, given the length of the run I think that you will experience significant volt drop which would result in reducing the life of the motors in your freezer and washing machine.

I suggest you use 6 sqmm copper to overcome volt-drop issues.

On the matter of SWA cost - once the cable, in whatever manner, is adequately protected against mechanical damage I would think it ok - it would depend on the risk of damage in your i proposed installation.

Hope my suggestion is of use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

paddy147 wrote: »
    I have a fixation with square meters...:D:D

And with IP rated boards, not really needed in a properly weather proofed shed.

i never found out what that blue cable was in paddys shed

The T phase

Probably freezing in the shed

Its 2.5mm artic blue..

Its for the double sockets around the garage.

Had the double sockets installed at 1.2 meter wall height.This allowed for work benches to be installed and still have clear/easy access to sockets.

did you ever sort out the rcd incommer

did you ever sort out the rcd incommer

As Moby and Patti Labelle say in their song......"one of these mornings".:pac::D

Got the Swa as advised set me back €140 but it will be worth it
    many thanks for all your help everyone
    Jd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

While you have the covers off: consider whether its worth also running some other services such as alarm or data cabling, coax, etc. You never know when you might want to add an alarm, cctv, etc at some future stage and putting the cables in now would be a fraction of the cost of doing it in future.

Got the Swa as advised set me back €140 but it will be worth it
    many thanks for all your help everyone
    Jd

That seems to be a good price, I only realised afterward that the prices I gave were in sterling and without vat!

LLU wrote: »
    While you have the covers off: consider whether its worth also running some other services such as alarm or data cabling, coax, etc. You never know when you might want to add an alarm, cctv, etc at some future stage and putting the cables in now would be a fraction of the cost of doing it in future.

+1....exactly what I had done at the time,aswell as mains water to garage.:)

"short term pain for long term gain"

Advertisement