Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Julian Barnes The Sense of an Ending

Options
  • 25-05-2013 8:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I read this book this week, read it in two sittings. It's more of a novella than a novel, only 150 pages long. It won the 2011 Booker prize. It's fascinating, un-put down-able. I was little frustrated with the ending though, it jarred a bit. Wondering what others thought of the book and the ending.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Karlpopper

Now just finished Levels of Life by the same author, quirky read, lots on early ballooning, but the third section discussing grief is very well written and offers much food for thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Finished it yesterday evening and I have been thinking about it ever since.I really liked the book and I thought the ending was excellent it tied things together nicely and really showed how easily peoples memories and perceptions of themselves and others can be so wrong at times.The ending changed the opinions of the characters that I had formed earlier in the book and it kept you guessing and intrigued right to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭blue note

One of my very favourite books - I absolutely loved it. I loved the idea of looking at the difference of what happened and what you remember happened. I loved the characters - seeing them as youngsters with the world at their feet and then a slightly sad, disappointing older man.

One thing which I never really understood though - why did she leave the diary to him in her will?

I'm reading Flaubert's Parrot at the moment. It's excellent, but certainly not as good. It's hard to talk about without making it sound incredibly pretentious!

Advertisement