Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop working, iMac not

Options
  • 25-05-2013 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭

We moved to new zealand 3 months ago and I have just got my imac here now. Our network is dodgy at best but the wireless connection on the imac is terrible, it keeps cutting out and sometimes just goes off altogether. My work laptop which I am on now seems to be working fine but I cant open a page on my mac. Can anybody help me?
    If it helps I am using a NetComm Wireless router. The internet light keeps flashing on and off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

What is the iMac like on Ethernet connection?

Hit and miss as well.

ok, what model is the imac and what OSX is it running?

Im not at home now to check but it is a mid 2011 model and is running 0sx 10.7.6 I think. That is just from memory. 21" model.

This one: http://support.apple.com/kb/sp623

• Advertisement

I'd say your running 10.7.5 there, run a software update on it anyway - make sure everything is fully up to date.

Second, I would test in recovery mode / recovery partition, this will narrow it down to either a OSX issue or a hardware issue.

Do you know how to do that?

No, this is my first iMac and I haven't had the time to get to know how to work it properly.

If you don't have the time, Then bring it to a store or a repair centre for it to be looked at.

https://locate.apple.com/nz/en/

EDIT: Misread your post earlier! Too early in the morning and lack of sleep....

To enter recovery mode.....
    • Turn on mac
    • Hold down CMD + R just before the chime keep them held down until the next screen says "Choose a language", let go then. Select English and continue / Arrow on the bottom right.
    • You'll be given four options. At this point, now is a good time to click on wifi at the top right in the menu bar and connect your wifi or test with the ethernet cable.
    • Once you've chosen your method of connectivity, select the option "Get help online", I think it is the third option..This will launch safari with the default webpage of help and what not.
    • Browse like normal .. See if it is intermittent.. If so, Its hardware (Either the mac or your router)
    • If not, Its OSX - A different path will need to be taken here.

Bear in mind, Some webpages may not load correctly i.e. youtube, facebook, icloud.com - This is normal in Recovery Mode.

Let me know how you get on and we'll see what happens next..

Note: This may take a while in recovery, Depending on how intermittent your connection is..

Advertisement