Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melbourne or Sydney?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

hussey wrote: »
    melbourne has a tram system, aside from that it's not easy to get around.
    not really an argument to take away the best feature.
    You can get from Burwood to city in 15mins, sounds okay to me.
    20mins on parramatta road, compare that to 12km outside melbourne and you'll probably find it similar

melbourne has a train service too?

not going to categorically state which city is better as it is entirly subjective but in my opinion alot more happens in Melbourne. But if my mother came to visit id bring her to sydney to see the sights.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

You're right Hussey...Sydney is great.

OP go to Sydney

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Stevie888

Mellor wrote: »
    No, to put it simply. If the majority of people preferred to live in Melbourne, they wouldn't have chosen elsewhere. Obviously some people didn't have much of a choice in the matter. But there's of plenty of us here that did. Most likely, the entire forum did.

The beaches are one of best aspects of the Australian lifestyle. Why would any sane person "take them away" when evaluating a city. For nice beaches, Sydney all day long.

The rocks has some great restaurants and pubs but its expensive.
    I'm not a fan of Newtown, but i can see why you compared it to melbourne, also makes sense that you liked it in that case.

But thats only a tiny fraction of the city, there's a much broader scope than that.

The same could be said for Sydney, and Australia in general.
    At the moment there's the vivid light festival, the comedy festival is just over, the sydney festival was before that, etc. There's just plenty to do in most places in australia.

Depends where you are tbh, city verses suburbs etc.
    Sometimes I think people are rude, which annoys me. But sometimes intrusively friendly people in shops annoy me too.
    Maybe it's me, or maybe its people. :D

The trains in sydney are pretty good. If you are living near a station and working in the CBH (covers a lot of people) you are pretty sorted.

I understand that you prefer Melbourne and are trying to paint it in the best light. But come on, you are just making up stuff now. Where have you had nights out in Sydney?

Newtown
    The Rocks
    The City
    Kings Cross
    Surrey Hills
    Oxford street.

There's 6 diverse area for a start.

I'm in my 20s, so maybe that it.

But wasn’t the original quote “the majority of people who have lived in both”? I don’t think there has been millions who have to be honest!

Can you really compare the Sydney comedy festival to the 2nd biggest in the world in Melbourne? Or any of the other events such as the Australian Open, Grand Prix or Melbourne Cup, or even White Night? As someone said before, even if you have no interest in any of these, the buzz around the city that these big international events creates is exceptional. Mardi Gras is really the only truly world class event Sydney has, but then again I could be wrong?

The people in Melbourne are far friendlier I have found. I think the vast majority of people who have lived in both would agree. Just as Sydney is known for it’s better beaches, Melbournians are known for being far more down to earth and friendly, and not in the annoying, retail worker kind of way. I’m sure you will disagree, but I think it’s generally accepted as conventional wisdom.

The trains in Sydney are good in the sense that they are on time. It’s more the layout of the city that for me lets it down. Trams, buses, trains, and ferries, all overlapping making it messy and confusing. Melbourne has such a simple system in that the trams are laid out like a cartwheel, with the centre being the CBD, with all the lines spread out from it. It’s very easy to navigate. True, if you live in the CBD in Sydney and also happen to work there, you’re obviously going to be fine. But what if you move around for work? Also, if you live in the CBD, to get to the beaches at Bondi and Coogee you have to get a train and a bus, expensive. And to get to Manly it’s 14.50 return on the ferry! To me that’s extortion.

How would making stuff up benefit me?! Believe me, when I was in Sydney I WANTED to like it! As for the suburbs, I like Newtown, but even a lot of the bars there seemed to have pokies somewhere in them! Kinda ruins it for me.
    Kings Cross, jesus christ no. Tacky, awful and unpleasant, and generalizing aside, full of not particularly nice people.
    The Rocks, prohibitively expensive.
    Surrey Hills and Oxford Street and even the CBD, all just seem a bit samey (and dare I say, yuppy-ish). This is pretty standard for most cities I have been to. I just think Melbourne’s suburbs have far greater diversity, and it’s a pretty unique place in that sense.

I said very early 20’s.

hussey wrote: »
    melbourne has a tram system, aside from that it's not easy to get around.

Melbourne has been named worlds most liveable city 2 years in a row, one of the criteria for this was public transport, so according to the Economist magazine you are wrong. Leaving this aside, as this thread is about everyones personal opinions, can you give me an example of how Melbourne is not easy to get around? I'm genuinely interested. For a city of 4 million people, I really can't see an obvious single fault in this regard!

Stevie888 wrote: »
    Melbourne has been named worlds most liveable city 2 years in a row, one of the criteria for this was public transport, so according to the Economist magazine you are wrong. Leaving this aside, as this thread is about everyones personal opinions, can you give me an example of how Melbourne is not easy to get around? I'm genuinely interested. For a city of 4 million people, I really can't see an obvious single fault in this regard!

The only fault i have with the transport system in melbourne is the fact that rush hour is just way to crowded. However it has made me change my travel behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear in my point, the poster stated that if you take away the trains in sydney it's hard to get around, my point is that if you take away any mode of transportation from any city you can deem it hard to get around.
    So say "aside from the trains" it's hard to get around is silly, and I countered this with a "aside from trams" arguement, which rightfully you thought was silly, which was the point I intended.
    I think Sydney is easy to get around, and so is melbourne.

danotroy wrote: »
    The only fault i have with the transport system in melbourne is the fact that rush hour is just way to crowded. However it has made me change my travel behaviour.

True Dano, it can get a little crowded during rush hour, it never really bothered me though. I have found if you live in the inner suburbs and take the tram your usually home in 20 mins anyway, and if you live futher away and take the train, they usually empty out after the first 3 - 4 stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

But wasn’t the original quote “the majority of people who have lived in both”? I don’t think there has been millions who have to be honest!
    It was hyperbole to highlight that lots of people prefer sydney.
    Can you really compare the Sydney comedy festival to the 2nd biggest in the world in Melbourne?
    I have assume that Montreal and Edinburgh were the biggest. Melbourne may well be next, doesn't mean that individual shows are better. I find aussie comics a but weird, and the big international acts normally play both.

Regardless, it's an example of one if the hundreds of events in both cities each year.
    Or any of the other events such as the Australian Open, Grand Prix or Melbourne Cup, or even White Night? As someone said before, even if you have no interest in any of these, the buzz around the city that these big international events creates is exceptional. Mardi Gras is really the only truly world class event Sydney has, but then again I could be wrong?
    The UFC has held events in sydney twice (third one later this year). It won't go to Melbourne. MMA in general is terrible in Melbourne.
    Maybe it's not a sport you personally follow, but its an example. NRL is another.

True, if you live in the CBD in Sydney and also happen to work there, you’re obviously going to be fine. But what if you move around for work?
    I said if you live on a train line and work in the CBD.

If you move around for work I'd suggest a car. ;)

Also, if you live in the CBD, to get to the beaches at Bondi and Coogee you have to get a train and a bus, expensive.
    Just a bus to coogee when I lived there
    How would making stuff up benefit me?! Believe me, when I was in Sydney I WANTED to like it! As for the suburbs, I like Newtown, but even a lot of the bars there seemed to have pokies somewhere in them! Kinda ruins it for me. [/FONT][/SIZE]
    Kings Cross, jesus christ no. Tacky, awful and unpleasant, and generalizing aside, full of not particularly nice people.
    The Rocks, prohibitively expensive.
    Surrey Hills and Oxford Street and even the CBD, all just seem a bit samey (and dare I say, yuppy-ish). This is pretty standard for most cities I have been to. I just think Melbourne’s suburbs have far greater diversity, and it’s a pretty unique place in that sense.

I wouldn't expect anyone to like all those places. It was just an example of various different nights out you could have.

I'm not trying to convince you or anyone that sydney is better. I'm just pointing out that each city has advantages, and both have plenty to do. The OP should ideally try both, but if he can't at least the differences are mentioned here.

Some perspective, both cities are regularly in the top ten lists at round the world. Arguing over which is best is a bit silly considering some of the places you could be holed up. ;)

The UFC has held events in sydney twice (third one later this year). It won't go to Melbourne. MMA in general is terrible in Melbourne.
    Maybe it's not a sport you personally follow, but its an example. NRL is another.

are the reigning NRL champs from melbourne? granted the afl champs are from sydney ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

If NRL is so good why dont Sydney people go to watch it like Victorians watch AFL?

Lesser game or lesser fans....maybe a bit of both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

The UFC has held events in sydney twice (third one later this year).
    Bad weekend for 'adopted' Aussie fighters :(
    It won't go to Melbourne.
    The UFC are putting a lot of effort into trying to get to Melbourne. You can guarantee that when the legislation changes to remove the ban on conducting MMA in a cage the UFC will be in Melbourne as soon as possible after that...if and when that happens you can also guarantee that it will be a way bigger deal here than any show held in Sydney.
    MMA in general is terrible in Melbourne.
    Terrible is a big call. I would agree that MMA is better in Sydney because of the concentration of fighters there but I wouldn't say Melbourne MMA is terrible.
    Melbourne is a very different place to Sydney from a sporting perspective. I was at a sporting event in Sydney only a couple of weeks ago and got to screaming and yelling at those around me only to find that all the people I was screaming at were Melbournian's and none of us had real 'skin in the game' we were all just 'professional' supporters of all sport if you know what I mean.

I live and work in Melbourne, Canberra and Sydney and they all have things going for them...from my point of view and preferences I would rank them in that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Bad weekend for 'adopted' Aussie fighters :(
    A good weekend for Whitaker though. Maybe the bad luck was only for adopted Kiwis.
    The UFC are putting a lot of effort into trying to get to Melbourne. You can guarantee that when the legislation changes to remove the ban on conducting MMA in a cage the UFC will be in Melbourne as soon as possible after that...if and when that happens you can also guarantee that it will be a way bigger deal here than any show held in Sydney.
    Absolutely, when the rules are changed they'll definitely come but victoria needs to change the rules for them. They won't be lobbying like the NewYork situation.

If its changed it'll be a decent event on par with other international cards. Wont be a massive card. But it's not happening right now. Which was the point of the thread. The differences between the cities.
    Terrible is a big call. I would agree that MMA is better in Sydney because of the concentration of fighters there but I wouldn't say Melbourne MMA is terrible.
    To clarify, I'm taking about the regulations and restrictions being terrible for the sport. I wasn't having a shot at Vic based fighters or clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

A good weekend for Whitaker though. Maybe the bad luck was only for adopted Kiwis.
    Yes, agreed.
    Absolutely, when the rules are changed they'll definitely come but victoria needs to change the rules for them. They won't be lobbying like the NewYork situation.
    Agreed. It will be for 'us' to do and them for 'them' to take advantage of the opportunity.
    If its changed it'll be a decent event on par with other international cards. Wont be a massive card. But it's not happening right now. Which was the point of the thread. The differences between the cities.
    The thing is...it wouldn't matter what the card was like...I would be happy to make a small wager that when there's an event here in Melbourne that it will be the fastest sell out in history such will be the appetite here.
    To clarify, I'm taking about the regulations and restrictions being terrible for the sport. I wasn't having a shot at Vic based fighters or clubs.
    I see what you mean but as someone who's trained in both Sydney and Melbourne I would say that I think the 'general' standard that I've experienced is higher in Sydney than in Melbourne. Just my opinion and based on my experience.

Advertisement