Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea Ireland compared to our neighbours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

Err, our only neighbours there are the UK and the difference is £2, hardly a rip-off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

So when vat differences are taken into account France, UK, Sweden and Ireland are abiut the same price. Germany is about 5% cheaper and spain and poland where staff costs are substantially cheaper are about 15% cheaper.

However looking at it another way, Spain and Poland are far far higher from an affordability point if view. The above totals represent about a month's take home pay on average industrial wage except for Poland and Spain. For spain it represents about 6 weeks take home pay and for Poland ut represents over 2 months. So in real life terms, Poland us twice the price of Ireland. That's why ikea is a luxury store in Poland and a bog standard store here.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

When Ikea had opened I waited for more than a year and rang the store to ask for a catalogue. We live rurally W Cork.
    A polite young man refused refused my request and told me they were so busy that they did not need the business. They would not deliver to this part of Ireland either.
    Rural Ireland still pariahs I note. We are never forgotten when taxes inflicted but we just do not seem able to.match that with services, poor roads, very poor access to hospitals, no pavements, lights or bus so no Ikea is minor indeed in comparison.
    Please note, all big stores, that we do exist and we do shop and we are ready and willing to shop for a variety of goods and services but many businesses do not want to do business! No wonder exports have been flourishing - business does not seem to want to bother locally or nationally. Many of us are forced to shop internationally for something that Dublin will not send or deliver to us. RIDICULOUS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Do they usually/did they used to post out catalogues on request? I thought the catalogues were only available online or instore?
    When Ikea had opened I waited for more than a year and rang the store to ask for a catalogue. We live rurally W Cork.
    A polite young man refused refused my request and told me they were so busy that they did not need the business. They would not deliver to this part of Ireland either.
    Rural Ireland still pariahs I note. We are never forgotten when taxes inflicted but we just do not seem able to.match that with services, poor roads, very poor access to hospitals, no pavements, lights or bus so no Ikea is minor indeed in comparison.
    Please note, all big stores, that we do exist and we do shop and we are ready and willing to shop for a variety of goods and services but many businesses do not want to do business! No wonder exports have been flourishing - business does not seem to want to bother locally or nationally. Many of us are forced to shop internationally for something that Dublin will not send or deliver to us. RIDICULOUS.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

They also don't deliver as far as I am aware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

errlloyd wrote: »
    They also don't deliver as far as I am aware.

According to their website they can arrange delivery outside of their specified delivery area for an extra fee; we just borrowed a van for the day, I think that's what most people do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

They don't post catalogues to anyone whether they are in Dublin or West cork. Everything is online anyway.
    They don't deliver to anyone in Dublin or West cork either, but if you go to the store, buy the goods and then bring them to the transport desk, they will arrange delivery with a third party courier to anywhere in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,654 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They do put the catalogue through the door in areas surrounding stores. Same here as it is in the UK, you don't get one in West Cork same as you don't get one in Cornwall.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Price the cost of diesel for a return trip from N Dublin to W Cork, pay driver a days wages and then ad in the cost of running a van and it's an expensive trip. To make any profit the company would have to charge a lot more than you'd be willing to pay.

BTW rural Ireland is a net benefactor of taxes, you get more money in than is taxed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭chewythefirst

IKEA have from the start and up till now offered free postage of catalogs to IKEA family members outside the surrounding area's of the shop. and if it is home delivery of goods bought within the store there is a delivery service availabul that will deliver to any and all parts of Ireland (no matter if the are no pavements, lights or bus access) or if you are looking for online shopping there are also a limited selection of furniture that you can buy on line and have delivered and once again to any and all area's of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

Thank you for that information.
    I can assure you my statement is completely truthful and accurate.
    I was really shocked, not by the fact he refused to even send the catalogue and assured me there would be no delivery but it was the fact he actually said they were too busy and had plenty of business.
    I believe I was at pains to say that he told me this in a most pleasant and polite manner. He was very sweet, even sounded a bit regretful that he had to tell me I may not have service. It is the truth and if telephone calls could be checked then mine will be registered from south west rural Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Who uses the paper catalog anyway ?

I live near an IKEA and I don't want another piece of paper sitting around the house when I can look it up on the laptop anyway.

We have that IKEA Family thing but don't get the catalog, only the magazine, no catalog.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Who uses the paper catalog anyway ?

I live near an IKEA and I don't want another piece of paper sitting around the house when I can look it up on the laptop anyway.

We have that IKEA Family thing but don't get the catalog, only the magazine, no catalog.

Oddly they don't put everything up on the website so the catalogue contains more products than the website does. It's weird! For example:

http://www.ikea.com/aa/en/catalog/products/50177727/

It doesn't appear on the Irish site:

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/search/?query=VARIERA

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Oddly they don't put everything up on the website so the catalogue contains more products than the website does. It's weird! For example:

http://www.ikea.com/aa/en/catalog/products/50177727/

It doesn't appear on the Irish site:

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/search/?query=VARIERA

No .. I mean the catalog:
    http://onlinecatalogue.ikea.com/ie/en/IKEA_Catalogue/

Happens the odd time that theres stuff in the Catalog that isn't available anymore in the store (Here in the Netherlands anyway)

They print out and distribute 5 million of them here so its probably difficult to change

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

Ikea in China, specifically Shanghai, is quite reasonable. Even a bottle of vodka costs only around e11 (~Y100)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

When Ikea was being built I said to people that we should not allow them to build it in Dublin or let Ikea UK do it. It would have been better to put it down by Rosslare and use Ikea France. It was inevitable the that we would get the worst deal by getting the rip off UK prices.

It isn't vat, rent or insurance differences that causes this just the pricing model used in the UK which has been passed on to us. I surprised that there is such a minor increase to Ireland

Advertisement