Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VM installing question

Options
  • 25-05-2013 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

If you want to install a program in a VM do you have to have an OS installed in the VM?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭westmidlands

Yes, you will need some sort of OS there. The VM can't do anything unless there is an OS installed for it to boot in to and manage its resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭LoveCoke

Yes, you will need some sort of OS there. The VM can't do anything unless there is an OS installed for it to boot in to and manage its resources.
    do you need a key for the os?
    thanks what vm would be best for beginner?

If you use for example a free distro of the linux OS then you won't need a product key, something like Ubuntu might be good for a beginner.

Are you using something like Oracle's Virtual Box to run the VM? (This is the program you will install on your laptop / PC and it will create the environment for the VM to run in, https://www.virtualbox.org/ ). I would recommend this for a beginner, once you have this installed you can pick a free distro of linux as your OS and install that on to your VM.

I guess it all depends though on what your aim is, if you just want to play around with virtualization and see what it can do then I recommend the above. You mentioned that you want to run a program in the VM, if you have a specific program in mind I guess it may depend on what that program is, ie is it compatible with Windows only or will it run on Linux.

If you use for example a free distro of the linux OS then you won't need a product key, something like Ubuntu might be good for a beginner.

Are you using something like Oracle's Virtual Box to run the VM? (This is the program you will install on your laptop / PC and it will create the environment for the VM to run in, https://www.virtualbox.org/ ). I would recommend this for a beginner, once you have this installed you can pick a free distro of linux as your OS and install that on to your VM.

I guess it all depends though on what your aim is, if you just want to play around with virtualization and see what it can do then I recommend the above. You mentioned that you want to run a program in the VM, if you have a specific program in mind I guess it may depend on what that program is, ie is it compatible with Windows only or will it run on Linux.
    I have an iso of windows 7 and have a legit key for that from my 7 pc. i have virtual box and want to put win 7 on my vista. M vista has no dvd capability as there is a problem and won't read so want to install it from an iso mounted with power iso. that possible?

Absolutely. Just mount your Windows 7 ISO using Power ISO, create your VM in Virtual Box and when you start your VM in Virtual Box it will ask you about installing the OS, simply point at the drive letter Power ISO has mounted the Windows 7 image and away you go.

• Advertisement

Absolutely. Just mount your Windows 7 ISO using Power ISO, create your VM in Virtual Box and when you start your VM in Virtual Box it will ask you about installing the OS, simply point at the drive letter Power ISO has mounted the Windows 7 image and away you go.

Actually if you have the Windows 7 ISO file sitting on your Vista machine I don't think you even need to mount it with Power ISO when using Oracle Virtual Box, you can just point at the image file and VirtualBox will take care of the rest.

Best of luck!

Have tried that it says no bootable medium found
    When you start your VM in Virtual Box it will ask you about installing the OS, simply point at the drive letter Power ISO has mounted the Windows 7
    It does not ask or give opportunity to point at the power iso drive letter

LoveCoke wrote: »
    Have tried that it says no bootable medium found

It does not ask or give opportunity to point at the power iso drive letter

You are using VirtualBox? See this YouTube tutorial from ~4 minutes onwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S28SrhrqXs

@westmidlands

got it thanks ;)

Advertisement