Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just-eat.ie

Options
  • 25-05-2013 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I placed an order with just-eat.ie on the 20th of May, and paid by debit card. Now I would assume that when you pay by debit card the bill is paid straight away or the money goes into the "pending transactions" on your card. So that was on Monday, come Thursday evening I double check my bank balance online to be sure I had enough for a bill to go out the next day, and I have EXACTLY enough, perfect. Until the next day around 3pm I check my bank account to see has the bill gone out and what do I see? just-eat.ie had taked the €10 out for the takeaway on the (Friday) morning, so I was €10 short on my bill so I then incurred a €5 charge for a failed direct debit.

I am absolutely fuming. I use just-eat all the time and never noticed such a delay in payment before so I don't know if this is normal? I tried contacting them through their website yesterday and have yet to receive a response. They have lost a regular customer over this. Anyone else had this problem before?:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Sounds more like a bank rather than a merchant issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

In fairness, just-eat process the transaction and that's that. Sometimes there can be delays. There's not a guy in just eat manually putting through each transaction trying to piss people off.

The transaction went through 4 days later, that's not outrageous by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ShelTomato

In fairness, just-eat process the transaction and that's that. Sometimes there can be delays. There's not a guy in just eat manually putting through each transaction trying to piss people off.

The transaction went through 4 days later, that's not outrageous by any means.

Of course not, it's just usually it takes the money from my account and goes into "pending transactions" until it actually goes through so I know that there's money gonna be taken. Happens with many other services, this is the first time this has happened. When I contacted the bank they said there was nothing they could do because it wasn't them that delayed it. Surely if there is usually such a delay for just-eat customers they should at least mention it when you're entering your card details that there may be a delay and to ensure there is enough in your account to cover it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Some retailers batch transactions and only send them through to the bank every so often. Some transactions are pretty much processed in real time. If you use credit/debit cards regularly, this is something you live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Not in the least bit unique to just-eat. It's up to the end user to keep a tally on their transactions and reconcile them. Sometimes things will be authorised/pending, sometimes not. As dudara outlined above, you just have to live and learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Its also your responsibility to keep track of your finances and bank balances, you knew you spend x amount on just eat hence you should be expecting that money to be taken......

TheDriver wrote: »
    Its also your responsibility to keep track of your finances and bank balances, you knew you spend x amount on just eat hence you should be expecting that money to be taken......

When I checked my bank account after ordering (as I always do when I pay for something online) the money WAS taken. They didn't double charge me cos my statement only shows the money being taken yesterday, and nothing at all taken out on Monday. This is why I am so annoyed about it.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Not in the least bit unique to just-eat. It's up to the end user to keep a tally on their transactions and reconcile them. Sometimes things will be authorised/pending, sometimes not. As dudara outlined above, you just have to live and learn.

Yep looks like I will just have to learn from this, I'm usually very much on top of what goes in and out of my account as I only lodge in enough to pay for whatever bill is being paid and I've just never had this problem with any other transaction, usually I pay cash on delivery on just-eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

ShelTomato wrote: »
    When I checked my bank account after ordering (as I always do when I pay for something online) the money WAS taken. They didn't double charge me cos my statement only shows the money being taken yesterday, and nothing at all taken out on Monday. This is why I am so annoyed about it.

So you know that Just-Eat took the money at the time of the transaction as it showed on your statement.

This is clearly a processing issue within your own bank moving from the pending authorisation to the actual charge.

Why are you annoyed at Just Eat ? :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'm not following, You said the money had been shown as taken, and you weren't double charged...so how did you end up not having enough in your account?

As in, you saw the money had been deducted after you placed your order (monday), it was then actually deducted on friday, but as your balance had already been updated (less the amount that was shown as deducted on monday) and you haven't been double charged, so shouldn't you still have had the same amount in your account?

• Advertisement

I'm not following, You said the money had been shown as taken, and you weren't double charged...so how did you end up not having enough in your account?

As in, you saw the money had been deducted after you placed your order (monday), it was then actually deducted on friday, but as your balance had already been updated (less the amount that was shown as deducted on monday) and you haven't been double charged, so shouldn't you still have had the same amount in your account?

Hence my confusion. I saw the money being taken on Monday, I didn't look at my balance again until Thursday when I lodged exactly enough for my bill, then on Friday I was short and it showed €10.40 being deducted from my account on the Friday and nothing on the Monday or during the week so I dunno how that happened, but my bank said that all they knew was that there was a transaction on the Friday that wasn't previously pending. Maybe it is just the bank I'll have to contact them again Monday

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Thanks, I get what you're saying now. Definitely get in touch with your bank again, someone other than you is at fault for this mess up.

Advertisement