Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Charging not supported with this accessory"

• 25-05-2013 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else get this when charging their iPhone via a laptop using the USB cable ? I'm using the cable that came with the phone, after 3 days it stopped working with the plug completely so I switched to charging from the laptop but the cable doesn't seem to like that either. It charges for about 10-15 minutes and only then the error message "Charging not supported with this accessory" comes up. Bizarre.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Probably a bad connection or break in the cable somewhere, an apple store will swap it for a new one... Now if only there was one of those in Ireland...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I got that when my cable had suffered some accidental damage, well I suppose I wouldn't deliberately damage it. Doublecheck the connection, and if that's not helping, contact the store/ebay merchant that sold the cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Completely forgot to mention, but this could also be down to dust/dirt in the dock connection of your phone (more likely on a 4 than a 5 but you didn't specify model). So have a look if there's anything there. Also try another cable (friend/colleague) if the problem reoccurs its obviously the phone not the cable.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I'm getting this same message on my iPhone 4 now when I try to charge it. I also tried the phone in the speaker dock and it's giving the same error. My laptop still detects the phone and the speaker dock still plays music through it but it just won't charge hough it appears to for a split second when you plug it in).

I spilled water in my room last night, it didn't get on my phone so I thought nothing of it. I plugged it in to charge for the night as usual but when I woke up the error message was there (though the phone was fully charged).

I'm thinking a drop or two of water must have got on the end of the charger cable so the connector must be damaged?

Should I take it to a shop or can I get a replacement and do it myself? Or is there anything I can do to get it working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Sorry to dig up an old thread but I'm getting this same message on my iPhone 4 now when I try to charge it. I also tried the phone in the speaker dock and it's giving the same error. My laptop still detects the phone and the speaker dock still plays music through it but it just won't charge hough it appears to for a split second when you plug it in).

I spilled water in my room last night, it didn't get on my phone so I thought nothing of it. I plugged it in to charge for the night as usual but when I woke up the error message was there (though the phone was fully charged).

I'm thinking a drop or two of water must have got on the end of the charger cable so the connector must be damaged?

Should I take it to a shop or can I get a replacement and do it myself? Or is there anything I can do to get it working?

This was a problem with using unofficial cables and chargers with Apple devices after iOS7 was released. It could be dust in the dock connecter port. Or a dodgy cable.

Sometimes it will throw this message up on the screen but still charge the device anyway. Which you could then just ignore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Two official apple cables foriphone 5 broke in my house in the past week. I contacted Apple to complain and no must say the modern latest apple cables are a complete joke!!!!!!!

€29 and they work for a while before becoming a fire hazard. Apple should be responsible for this madness it's a total disaster. The older apple cables and chargers never had a weak flaw like the new ones have.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

DubDJ wrote: »
    This was a problem with using unofficial cables and chargers with Apple devices after iOS7 was released. It could be dust in the dock connecter port. Or a dodgy cable.

Sometimes it will throw this message up on the screen but still charge the device anyway. Which you could then just ignore.

I'm still not on IOS 7 :o It's an official cable too, I'm pretty sure it's because water got in as I've tried the phone on the charger in the car and on the speaker-dock the same error comes up. I've ordered a new charging dock online and am going to try and fix it myself, seems fairly straight forward.

Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 bunk_mcnulty

Hi,

Has anyone , who has had this issue, managed to get this resolved?
    I am seriously thinking of changing to Android. This is my third phone in a row that has had the same issue.

Cheers,

Bunk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭bren2002

There's a workaround to this. Google it. Something about turning on flight mode and restarting. Works on my ipad.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 bunk_mcnulty

Afraid that doesn't work either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

flyguy wrote: »
    Probably a bad connection or break in the cable somewhere, an apple store will swap it for a new one... Now if only there was one of those in Ireland...

There is, it’s in Belfast. Been there for years too.

Advertisement