Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do the record room do guitar repairs?(electric)

Options
  • 25-05-2013 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

My electric isn't producing any sound through the amp so I need to take it in, the only place I can think of is the Record Room but do they even do repairs? And if not, is there anywhere else I can take it in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Its probably something very simple. Like a dodgy lead.

Is the amp light on? Does the amp have a slight hum/buzz when you turn it on? If it does its not the amp. If it doesn't it might be a blown fuse on the amp. Or maybe the amp plug is fused?

Put the lead into the amp and touch the jack at the other end of the lead to see if that makes a buzz too. If it does, the lead is sound and the amp is sound.

If it does make a buzz, then its probably a loose wire internal to the guitar or that the jack input on the guitar is loose and needs tightening.

If it doesn't make a buzz, its a dodgy lead.

PS: I'm sure Kevin in the record room would be pleased to help you out, but you might want to check the above out first to save you from having to bring all your gear into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

Kettleson wrote: »
    Its probably something very simple. Like a dodgy lead.

Is the amp light on? Does the amp have a slight hum/buzz when you turn it on? If it does its not the amp. If it doesn't it might be a blown fuse on the amp. Or maybe the amp plug is fused?

Put the lead into the amp and touch the jack at the other end of the lead to see if that makes a buzz too. If it does, the lead is sound and the amp is sound.

If it does make a buzz, then its probably a loose wire internal to the guitar or that the jack input on the guitar is loose and needs tightening.

If it doesn't make a buzz, its a dodgy lead.

PS: I'm sure Kevin in the record room would be pleased to help you out, but you might want to check the above out first to save you from having to bring all your gear into town.

I've already gone through the diagnostics in the instruments forum, and its definitely the guitar...I'll take it in during the week and see what they can do, thanks anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Oh right, you done the checks already.

Hopefully someone will spot your post and suggest a local guitar tech to take it to. Must be something simple enough though. Good luck with that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Not really. There are few guys who do stuff but it's word of mouth. Best place to go is probably KC Guitars in Collooney. I didn't know of his existence until recently but he's on facebook and has a mobile number (086 089 4801). I know nothing about him but he seems to be a proper tech/builder so should be able to fix your guitar no problem. I think his page says he has a €20 bench fee (to look at it basically) but as it's probably only a cracked solder it shouldn't cost much more than that.
    If you know anyone into electronics, they would be able to fix it. I suspect a multimeter and soldering iron is all they'd need. Guitars are pretty basic electronically.

Advertisement