Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Look what I woke up to

• 25-05-2013 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭

So this morning I opened my back door to find this little fella asleep at the door...

He is not mine and I live in a rural area so no neighbours around.
    I rang local vet and left name and number if anyone reports his missing and same with local pound.

But my question is anyone know what breed he is as this might help with getting him back to his owners

I have him in a basket with a blanket at the moment but he is yelping and I would imagine he is not long gone from his mother as he is a bit nervous ( he is fine if I am with him but I don't want him around house yet as I don't know if he had injections etc )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

Fair play op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

campo wrote: »
    So this morning I opened my back door to find this little fella asleep at the door...

He is not mine and I live in a rural area so no neighbours around.
    I rang local vet and left name and number if anyone reports his missing and same with local pound.

But my question is anyone know what breed he is as this might help with getting him back to his owners

I have him in a basket with a blanket at the moment but he is yelping and I would imagine he is not long gone from his mother as he is a bit nervous ( he is fine if I am with him but I don't want him around house yet as I don't know if he had injections etc )
    Looks like a sheep dog. Hopefully it wasn't dumped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

If you bring it to the vet he can scan to see if it was micro chipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭4th horsemen

Someone could have dumped a pregnant bitch out there around your house somewhere and she might have had the pups nearby and this little one went wandering! Or the pup might have been dumped at or around your house.
    It is to small to have wandered too far away from the mother or home if it wasnt dumped and there is no house nearby you.
    Can you put up a picture that is a bigger file size as this file is tiny and the picture is to small to see what kind of dog it is.

He looks like he is bout 5 - 6 weeks old maybe

Maybe a bull breed type dog by looking at it's head but hard to tell from the picture. He looks lovely tho.

If it is a bull breed type dog try contacting EGAR, they specialize in bull breed rescue and are great.

Don't worry to much bout vaccinations as long as he is not near other animals.
    He prob hungry, get some chicken meat(no bones) or other meat and make tiny bits and try him with some

Try Egar and put up bigger pic if you can

Hope you find owners but I'd doubt it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Dtp79 wrote: »
    If you bring it to the vet he can scan to see if it was micro chipped.

Ya plan to bring to vet on Monday, for people saying he looks like a sheep dog I also thought he might be or a border collie but he has a short tail so that would not match breed

• Advertisement

Someone could have dumped a pregnant bitch out there around your house somewhere and she might have had the pups nearby and this little one went wandering! Or the pup might have been dumped at or around your house.
    It is to small to have wandered too far away from the mother or home if it wasnt dumped and there is no house nearby you.
    Can you put up a picture that is a bigger file size as this file is tiny and the picture is to small to see what kind of dog it is.

He looks like he is bout 5 - 6 weeks old maybe

Maybe a bull breed type dog by looking at it's head but hard to tell from the picture. He looks lovely tho.

If it is a bull breed type dog try contacting EGAR, they specialize in bull breed rescue and are great.

Don't worry to much bout vaccinations as long as he is not near other animals.
    He prob hungry, get some chicken meat(no bones) or other meat and make tiny bits and try him with some

Try Egar and put up bigger pic if you can

Hope you find owners but I'd doubt it :(

Cheers I will look at that ( doubt he is bull breed myself but will get better pic )

I feed him some warm milk mixed with bread this morning he seemed to enjoy that and have some left over chicken from yesterday ( no bones )

I also plan to buy a worm dose later as I have a small boy in house and at the moment I won't let dog near him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Milk and bread isn't a good idea it will cause the runs. Get a good quality puppy food from a vet or petshop.

Edit: if you can't get to the shops boiled chicken and rice will be fine for a few days. Small meals 4times a day. Where are you based?

Hope this is a better pic

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Milk and bread isn't a good idea it will cause the runs. Get a good quality puppy food from a vet or petshop.

Edit: if you can't get to the shops boiled chicken and rice will be fine for a few days. Small meals 4times a day. Where are you based?

I can get to Maxi Zoo in next couple of hours so will pick up proper food then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 Obro

Well done OP ! Its nice to know that there are still decent people out there who care about animals. The same thing happened my brother in law 2 weeks ago, a dog turned up on his doorstep. He took it to the vet and has kept it himself. The vet told him if the original owner turns up, not to give the dog back as it had been so badly treated and to call the ISPCA and have him charged. The vet only charged him a token amount of the bill as he had rescued the dog which was a nice gesture.

So far nobody has claimed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Looks sheepdog like to me, and young, 5 or 6 weeks, check around incase there are more, they often get dumped unfortunately. I know around here you can't give them away. Local rescue has a few most of the time. :(
    Good mix of wet and dry puppy food and bowl of water should be fine, hope you find an owner.

Ya plan to bring to vet on Monday, for people saying he looks like a sheep dog I also thought he might be or a border collie but he has a short tail so that would not match breed

The tail more than likely got docked then if it is very short.
    most (prob bout 98%) dog breeds have tails with exception of 1 or 2 breeds like French Bulldog and a type of corgi, think Welsh corgi.

All the dogs like doberman, Rottweiler etc have their tails docked!

Doubt they'd dock a Collie's tail

Way better pic :)

That tail is not docked and it's not a bull breed.

It does actually look like a Collie type dog and the tail will grow longer,
    looks a bit like our Collie/Retreiver we rescued when she was 10 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Very young pups tails often look short in proportion to bodies, they grow with the dog.
    My own dogs had stumpy little looking tails at very young ages, but by the time they got to me (8wks and 10wks) they looked more normal.

A Collie would probably make sense as there is so farms around, maybe one of the farmer has a collie.

I shall call around to them to see if they are missing a collie pup ( still a nice journey for pup to take )

After googling some pics I am wondering could this be a breed of a polish lowland sheepdog.

I say this because of how fluffy he is and collie pups seem to have a longer snout

Poor thing is now asleep beside a old teddy bear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

After googling some pics I am wondering could this be a breed of a polish lowland sheepdog.

I say this because of how fluffy he is and collie pups seem to have a longer snout

Poor thing is now asleep beside a old teddy bear

Well done for looking after him - he is as cute as a button. Dogs noses can elongate (if thats the correct term) as they get a bit older. Greyhound pups noses are not as long as an adults.

I would say a collie or collie x too. Think its unlikely to be a polish lowland sheepdog on the grounds that I dont believe (open to correction on this) there are too many about. So on the basis that it if it looks like a duck, walks, like a duck etc its a collie or x .

Mind you he also looks a bit like a ferret to me but they havent started crossing them yet...:D

Update on the little fella I have now wormed him and got proper puppy food for him and he is eating well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

Well done OP.

A lot of pups look similar at that age.

Google 'Samoyed' & see if you think there's a resemblance.
    Typically they are all white, so this little guy might be a 'cross'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

fare play to you campo for looking after the little guy. Good on ye :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭kinkygirl

OP, I don't have anything to add, but just wanted to say, God bless you for taking care of this little bundle of fluff. My heart is broken day after day, hearing horrific stories of animal abuse. :(

If only there were more people like you in this world, what a nicer place it would be.

kinkygirl wrote: »
    OP, I don't have anything to add, but just wanted to say, God bless you for taking care of this little bundle of fluff. My heart is broken day after day, hearing horrific stories of animal abuse. :(

If only there were more people like you in this world, what a nicer place it would be.

Aw what a lovely thing to say, myself the Mrs and 3 kids were out playing with him earlier he loved running after them and daughter wants to call him bolt but trying to avoid names in case he is claimed.

The father in law asked around at mass but no one knew anything about him

Fair play to you for doing what your doing, been in same boat few times but is rewarding in the end.
    Do you think you'll keep him if he is not claimed?

Fair play to you for doing what your doing, been in same boat few times but is rewarding in the end.
    Do you think you'll keep him if he is not claimed?

I am hoping that he won't be collected if I am honest, we have actually thought about getting a dog for a while and when we woke up this morning and opened the door it was like a little gift from the Gods....

It would not surprise me if he was dumped though as a year ago a car pulled up outside the door and then drove off when I opened the door there was a cat outside crying...

So we took Cat it ( she eventually had a litter of kittens..long story ) and we now have 3 cats ( but they spend most of their time outside )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

what a lovely pup - he looks very young but if he's eating he must be 8 weeks + - looks like a border collie x to me - sometimes they're dumped so this little thing made his way to safety thanks for that OP
    I have a border collie very similiar stance as a puppy with the fluffy coat - her nose and tail legthened as she has grown up and the furball coat became long! Well done for looking after this beauty of course he came to you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It would not surprise me if he was dumped though as a year ago a car pulled up outside the door and then drove off when I opened the door there was a cat outside crying...

You've clearly got yourself a bit of a reputation as a safe haven OP ;-)

It was suggested above that there may be some Samoyed in the little fella, and I must say that the suggestion crossed my mind, especially with the second pic. My guess is Samoyed x Collie. It'd be a nice cross actually, cleverness brought by the collie, and gentleness and fun from the Sammie!
    And lots of fluff!
    Good luck OP. I hope this pup was meant to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Reventon93

Just wanted to say that from looking at the picture i could almost guarantee that there is some BC/Collie in that pup. Looking at pictures of my Sammy as a pup, the snout and the tail are almost identical. And Sammy's snout had definitely widened and elongated.

Good luck to you and the pup. Here's hoping that the owner doesn't try to claim the pup back. He's much better of with you by the sound of things!

Fair play to ya,
    I doubt u'll find the owner or that someone will claim him because I'd be certain he was dumped, especially as there is no one near you and would be to far for little pup to wander too so my guess is also dumped.
    am glad tho that he made it to your house, and I don't belief in fate etc but he definitely ended up at the right house so.

Sounds like u'll give it a good home,
    All the best and fair play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

You are so good for taking him in & showering him with all that love & great days for the start of his little life. How lucky a puppy that he found his little way to your doorstep.

: ) Lots of happy days ahead

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Well done OP, I hope the dog rewards you for being so kind :)

Advertisement