Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pale looking rare steak

Options
  • 25-05-2013 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Ordered a rare steak in a restaurant.
    Was tender and tasted nice.
    Only thing that bothered me was it wasn't really really pink, more anemic looking.
    Just wondering if anyone has seen similar and any ideas why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

HighWire wrote: »
    Ordered a rare steak in a restaurant.
    Was tender and tasted nice.
    Only thing that bothered me was it wasn't really really pink, more anemic looking.
    Just wondering if anyone has seen similar and any ideas why?

My guess would be the meat was well aged.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Funnily enough, my guess would be that it was either very young beef or wasn't aged very well - or both.
    I once bought an organic rib roast in England and was a bit concerned by the paleness of the meat but it was really delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I'd agree the meat was probably young. If the animal was fed predominantly on milk, the meat will be very pale.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd agree with the beer revolu, that it wasn't aged or was young.
    Well aged meat tend to be darker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Was possible it could have been frozen at some stage too, a lot of the blood tends to be lost during the thawing process.

It wasn't Chateaubriand, by any chance?

• Advertisement
Advertisement