Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 week training plan pre-adventure race?

Options
  • 25-05-2013 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi I'm doing my first Adventure Race 2 weeks today. I have not been able to train during the last 6 weeks because of stressful work commitments which I knew about when signing up for the race.
    However, I have 2 weeks of no work or anything else so that I can dedicate my time for the race.

I am fit and had a serious fitness plan going during Feb, March and half of April.

The race covers about 50k zipping around the Dingle Peninsula
    Cycle up Conor Pass and down to Brandon 25k, climb Mt Brandon and down 11k (I'll be trekking, not running) run into Dingle 10k, kayak 2k

My question is;
    How best to use the next 2 weeks ? Interval training? Weights?
    Has anyone similar experience to me and how did they get on?
    Thanks!!
    Simon

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

There is very little you can do to improve your fitness in two weeks. Try to hard and all you will do is arrive at race day tired. If it were me, I wouldnt do anything high volume, I would keep the sessions short, with some small intervals of sharp effort. Bricks may be useful to mimic the bike/run changes, and the switches in intensity you will get in the race. If there is a kayak section, one or two practice sessions there wont go astray. But mainly, all you can do is reacquaint yourself with each discipline, rather than smashing into two hard weeks. Its too late for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

have a perfect diet for two weeks to lose a 1kg of body fat, it will make you faster in every discipline. eg 1kg is about 30sec on a 10k run.
    I'm not up to speed on the sciences of tapering but for endurance events people would normally start to taper at 2weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Oryx wrote: »
    There is very little you can do to improve your fitness in two weeks. Try to hard and all you will do is arrive at race day tired. If it were me, I wouldnt do anything high volume, I would keep the sessions short, with some small intervals of sharp effort. Bricks may be useful to mimic the bike/run changes, and the switches in intensity you will get in the race. If there is a kayak section, one or two practice sessions there wont go astray. But mainly, all you can do is reacquaint yourself with each discipline, rather than smashing into two hard weeks. Its too late for that.

perfect advice there.
    2 weeks to go all you can really work on without tiring yourself out would be the technical and tactical aspects.
    Maybe practice some fast feet running through difficult terrain, do the brick sessions as described, go for a few runs in your proposed race clothing, make sure you can stomach your proposed nutrition, memorise the course, service your bike, do a kayak session.

Basically make sure your body is used to running, all these events tend to focus on the running. The water is always flat, the road is always tarred and the running is usually hard. But as said before it's too late for serious mileage so plenty of steady runs.

And Enjoy :)

Advertisement