Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Dandruff

• 25-05-2013 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

I just noticed the other day that the younger dog has dandruff, today I noticed the older dog has a little bit too.

They are fed a good food (Markus Muhle from Zooplus) which they have been on for 5 months now and love it, good poops, no farting etc, they get a raw egg and/or sardines a few times a month (when I can face the smell of the sardines or have eggs!)

Now, we don't wash or brush them ever, they are both short haired dogs although the younger one has a thicker coat, they are both inside dogs, we started brushing them today and are planning on showering them both tomorrow (weather permitting) using a baby shampoo. They've never had problems with their coats before in fact the other week someone complimented younger dog on her lovely shiny coat!

Does anyone have any other tips or even any idea what's could be causing it, surely if it was the food it would have shown up quicker than this? Could it be the strange weather? I read somewhere it could be dehydration if you have a particularly dry atmostphere at home, don't even understand what that means to be honest!

Any advice/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I wouldn't use baby shampoo on them if you could avoid it, get a decent dog shampoo because dogs do have different skin/hair types than humans! My cat gets dandruff the odd time and when she does I just put a little bit of oil in her food and that tends to clear it up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

What kind of oil do you put in their food SillyMango?

I thought baby shampoo as it would be mild and gentle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I use just a bit of vegetable oil or fish oils, whatever is cheapest in the health food shop! Baby shampoo would be mild but some dogs can react to it and it can dry out their skin so that would make the dandruff even worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Some of mine seem to have dandruff at the moment, but they are blowing their coats, could this be the case with your dogs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

someone on here (who was that? - thankyou again!) recommended to me a jar of solid coconut oil - good for insides and coats - its called Cocowel and is available for about E6 in Supervalu - you could try it - good for humans too (google it!) - a tsp daily in their food - would last for months... Alternatively Salmon Oil seems to be very popular

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

+1 salmon oil

Only started to use it recently and there is a definite improvement in their coats.

While checking out salmon oil I read Vitamin E can help with dry skin or dandruff.

If you use iHerb this stuff is good:
    www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-100-Natural-E-Oil-4-fl-oz-118-ml/566

I add to their food a couple of times a week but I read that it can be massaged into the skin aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Thanks all i keep meaning to try the salmon oil actually
    ISDW when u say blowing their coats do u mean shedding? Cos yes i meant to put they are both shedding at the mo especially younger one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Thanks all i keep meaning to try the salmon oil actually
    ISDW when u say blowing their coats do u mean shedding? Cos yes i meant to put they are both shedding at the mo especially younger one

yeah, sorry, shedding. That could be why the dandruff has appeared then.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

Since you have ruled out the feed, is it moving or static. If its moving it could be "walking dandruff" http://www.dogworld.co.uk/product.php/3344/Features/08-Dean-(2).

It could be that the hair is blown out, as mentioned by ISDW.

Advertisement