Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning Bass Guitar (Experimenting with tuning)

Options
  • 25-05-2013 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hey guys, I've been wanting to learn bass for a long time, and I'm planning to properly learn this summer after my exams. I have an unstrung bass, and I'm going to buy strings for it. However, I want to string it to the tuning of a cello (A-D-G-C), I'm classically trained in cello, and I think it would be fun to string a bass like that. Ive researched what effect it may have on the bass, and other's say that as long as I buy correct strings it should be fine.

What do you think? Do you think I should learn standard first, then mess around? I'm not used to instruments like the guitar at all, I play Piano, cello and fiddle, so this is all new to me. A fretted instrument tuned in fourths is alien to me..

Any thoughts??

Plus can someone give advice for buying strings? Online I saw someone said they used:
    .128 C
    .090 G
    .065 D
    .040 A

Where could i get these?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Do you think I should learn standard first, then mess around? I'm not used to instruments like the guitar at all, I play Piano, cello and fiddle, so this is all new to me. A fretted instrument tuned in fourths is alien to me..

My initial thoughts would be to learn the standard way first. Then when you get a handle on this, by all means feel free to experiment. Any instrument, when picked up for the first time is going to seem alien. IMO, by learning the standard way first, you will get a feel for how the bass works in music, as apart from the instruments you are already familar with.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Rigsby wrote: »
    My initial thoughts would be to learn the standard way first. Then when you get a handle on this, by all means feel free to experiment. Any instrument, when picked up for the first time is going to seem alien. IMO, by learning the standard way first, you will get a feel for how the bass works in music, as apart from the instruments you are already familar with.

Totally agree, bass has a specific role to play in an ensemble, by falling back on what you already know you're going to be more inclined to sit into grooves or patterns you already know. Kind of like when a guitarist picks up bass and plays it like a guitar only with lower notes.....don't get me started on that.

Start with standard and then once you've nailed that play around with tunings.

Advertisement