Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog for stud

• 25-05-2013 4:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47

hi

I was wondering where the best place is to advertise a dog for stud , im not looking to make any money but I would like to get a pup from a litter

I have a bulldog

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

If people see your dog is doing really well in shows they will seek you out to use as a stud, other than that I don't know where you can just advertise a dog for stud, if you're looking for a pup though you may be better off to seek out one rather than putting a bitch through the stress of pregnancy and a c - section for just one pup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 Obro

What breed of dog have you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 Obro

sorry, missed that. see it now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 bus_driver

If people see your dog is doing really well in shows they will seek you out to use as a stud, other than that I don't know where you can just advertise a dog for stud, if you're looking for a pup though you may be better off to seek out one rather than putting a bitch through the stress of pregnancy and a c - section for just one pup.

the owner of the bitch would keep the rest of the litter ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

bus_driver wrote: »
    the owner of the bitch would keep the rest of the litter ;)

So you've already found someone then?

• Advertisement

So you've already found someone then?

no , im hoping I can find someone who owns a bitch but who doesn't want to fork out 500 euro to a so called respected breeder , my dog is from abroad originally and I have no past with the breed but he has papers and have very nice features , im hoping someone would be willing to use him on condition I get a free pup in return

if I cant find anyone , il have to simply buy a pup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

no , im hoping I can find someone who owns a bitch but who doesn't want to fork out 500 euro to a so called respected breeder , my dog is from abroad originally and I have no past with the breed but he has papers and have very nice features , im hoping someone would be willing to use him on condition I get a free pup in return

if I cant find anyone , il have to simply buy a pup

Is he health tested?

andreac wrote: »
    Is he health tested?

well I bought him from a family who are not that long in Ireland , he has a passport with details of his history of vaccinations etc but I have yet to get him tested with a vet myself , im willing to comply in this area however , im not a messer , I just want a pup , their around 2 k from a top breeder so I see this as a cheaper option , I don't intend to sell my six year old if I get a pup btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Is this the same dog you took in?
    Why did he come from a place where there are a lot of other dogs?

I would advise full health testing before you even consider advertising him, as you obviously don't want to run the risk of breeding unhealthy puppies. And given how strenuous it is for the breed to have puppies, I really would advise you go with your plan to neuter him and consider a different breed, or perhaps a rescue.

To be honest, 6 is bit old to start breeding.
    Unless he's an exceptional example of the breed and has been health tested for any breed related problems eg hop scoring etc then you should not be breeding your dog.

• Advertisement

To be honest, 6 is bit old to start breeding.
    Unless he's an exceptional example of the breed and has been health tested for any breed related problems eg hop scoring etc then you should not be breeding your dog.

I've just realised that OP is the same person who was recently shopping for Boxer puppies from what appeared to be (according to his thread) a very shady couple. He got bitten by the bitch, I believe.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I've just realised that OP is the same person who was recently shopping for Boxer puppies from what appeared to be (according to his thread) a very shady couple. He got bitten by the bitch, I believe.

ok , seeing as im being viewed as some sort of shady conspirator , il bow out

I do take on board the view that he may be too old for breeding , I do not want to strain my dog , nor do I want to waste another owners time

thanks

I do take on board the view that he may be too old for breeding , I do not want to strain my dog , nor do I want to waste another owners time

thanks

No one is saying that but it is a bit odd that you were looking at boxer pups, then got a bull dog and all of a sudden you are looking to breed your dog?

thanks

Not shady, but perhaps not sure or settled on what course you want to take in order to obtain a puppy. Your having problems with your current dog, which you plan to neuter, but you also want to breed him and get a puppy, despite not having any health tests done. Bulldog puppies are expensive and rare for a reason - because it's very dangerous for the bitches to have puppies :o

I mentioned the boxers as I assumed this meant you were not settled on a breed. It might be a good idea to decide what you want to do. I may be wrong, but I thought it wasn't a good idea to mix dogs that are related, especially two males, and especially one who has developed a thing for humping. It could end up causing fights, especially as the puppy would be quite small when you get it.

No one is saying that but it is a bit odd that you were looking at boxer pups, then got a bull dog and all of a sudden you are looking to breed your dog?

il explain that and if you don't believe me , that's your prerogative

I had always wanted a bulldog but 2 k or even 1500 was too much money

so I decided I would get a boxer which is also a breed I like ( ive previously owned a st Bernard btw )

I went to look at boxer pups , had an unfortunate experience so I didn't buy any of them , in the past week I came across a bulldog who while obviously on in years , cost me a mere 170 euros , I realise he may only live to eight but I thought I would at least experience owning a bulldog for a while

il explain that and if you don't believe me , that's your prerogative

I had always wanted a bulldog but 2 k or even 1500 was too much money

so I decided I would get a boxer which is also a breed I like ( ive previously owned a st Bernard btw )

I went to look at boxer pups , had an unfortunate experience so I didn't buy any of them , in the past week I came across a bulldog who while obviously on in years , cost me a mere 170 euros , I realise he may only live to eight but I thought I would at least experience owning a bulldog for a while

The absolutely massive question there is why in all hell did he only cost that amount? Where did you get him from? If you've only had him that short space of time, and don't know about his previous six years, then I wouldn't risk adding a puppy into the mix, especially since he seems to be developing behavioural problems already.

Why were they selling him so cheap?

Not shady, but perhaps not sure or settled on what course you want to take in order to obtain a puppy. Your having problems with your current dog, which you plan to neuter, but you also want to breed him and get a puppy, despite not having any health tests done. Bulldog puppies are expensive and rare for a reason - because it's very dangerous for the bitches to have puppies :o

I mentioned the boxers as I assumed this meant you were not settled on a breed. It might be a good idea to decide what you want to do. I may be wrong, but I thought it wasn't a good idea to mix dogs that are related, especially two males, and especially one who has developed a thing for humping. It could end up causing fights, especially as the puppy would be quite small when you get it.

the dog is not particulary problematic , the family I bought him from had pugs , a French bulldog and another English bulldog ( bitch ) , he was obviously used to plenty of company , any change is going to be challenging for a dog , my dog is very old not to be neutred so I suppose I cant complain when hes a little horny

it sounds like no bulldog bitch owner would want a 6 year old male going near them but that aside , was told by someone that I should delay neutering him for six weeks as he has gone through enough change this past while , first moving to Ireland and then from his previous owners to myself

The absolutely massive question there is why in all hell did he only cost that amount? Where did you get him from? If you've only had him that short space of time, and don't know about his previous six years, then I wouldn't risk adding a puppy into the mix, especially since he seems to be developing behavioural problems already.

well I didn't steal him or force them to sell him , I took a chance on him , his papers say hes up to date on rabies shots etc and he looks ok so if he dies of a heart attack in six months , at least I only lost 170 euro

the dog is not particulary problematic , the family I bought him from had pugs , a French bulldog and another English bulldog ( bitch ) , he was obviously used to plenty of company , any change is going to be challenging for a dog , my dog is very old not to be neutred so I suppose I cant complain when hes a little horny

it sounds like no bulldog bitch owner would want a 6 year old male going near them but that aside , was told by someone that I should delay neutering him for six weeks as he has gone through enough change this past while , first moving to Ireland and then from his previous owners to myself

I dont suppose you know if they bred him with their bitch? If he was regularly having his way with a lady friend, it might explain why he has developed a continuing habit, since he is now devoid of female company. Honestly though, while it might not seem like much of a problem, it could very well cause issues if a new dog, particularly a puppy is introduced into the home - whether its his offspring or not. I know of plenty of dogs who are fine with the dogs they have been kept with, and are entirely different when a new dog is introduced, whether it be a visitor or on a walk. Do you know if your dog is happy with other dogs in your house?

• Advertisement

well I didn't steal him or force them to sell him , I took a chance on him , his papers say hes up to date on rabies shots etc and he looks ok so if he dies of a heart attack in six months , at least I only lost 170 euro

Why does he have rabies shots done? Has he been over to Europe for some reason?

And I meant that he could have a serious underlying medical condition, or severe behavioural issues that the owners might not have been able to deal with, and thought to pass the buck to you. You may think you are getting a great deal on an expensive breed, but you may not agree if your next vet trip costs a surprise couple of hundred quid :(

Their reasons for getting rid of the dog cheaply is quite important.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP, there is little doubt that what you're looking for, and how you're going about it, is not going to meet with much approval from others who are keen to ensure that any breeding is done the right way, on all levels.
    However, can I remind all posters that haranguing the OP is taking his initial enquiry way off topic. I don't have too much of a problem with anyone trying to broaden the OP's knowledge, but it can be done in a helpful way, without the Spanish Inquisition, which is only going to put people off taking any well-intentioned advice.
    So, I'll ask that everyone posts in a way that is helpful.
    Do not reply to this part of this post on thread please.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Mod hat off:
    I'll kick things off OP, by answering your initial question. Contact the breed society, they're the best positioned to advise. But do remember, if they advise against, or if they can't find an owner of a bitch to mate with your dog, then read between the lines. If they don't feel your dog is suitable, be prepared to accept that.

Why does he have rabies shots done? Has he been over to Europe for some reason?

thought I said he only arrived in Ireland in the past year , the family I bought him from are eastern European

I have a dog trainer coming out to me in ten days and she told me that their is less chance of him having rabies than an irish dog as he would not have gotten through immigration in Dublin if he wasn't up to date on his shots

And I meant that he could have a serious underlying medical condition, or severe behavioural issues that the owners might not have been able to deal with, and thought to pass the buck to you. You may think you are getting a great deal on an expensive breed, but you may not agree if your next vet trip costs a surprise couple of hundred quid :(

Their reasons for getting rid of the dog cheaply is quite important.

sure buying a cheap car can pose risks aswell , if it doesn't work out , at least I only spent a relatively small amount of money

hes a nice dog , I like him and hopefully I will get a year or two of enjoyment from him , il be sure to bring him for a full check up in September when his next shots are due

thought I said he only arrived in Ireland in the past year , the family I bought him from are eastern European

I have a dog trainer coming out to me in ten days and she told me that their is less chance of him having rabies than an irish dog as he would not have gotten through immigration in Dublin if he wasn't up to date on his shots

Not sure how that would be true as there isn't any rabies in Ireland so a dog coming from a country that has rabies is of course going to have a risk of having it that than a dog in a country that doesn't.

OP, there is little doubt that what you're looking for, and how you're going about it, is not going to meet with much approval from others who are keen to ensure that any breeding is done the right way, on all levels.
    However, can I remind all posters that haranguing the OP is taking his initial enquiry way off topic. I don't have too much of a problem with anyone trying to broaden the OP's knowledge, but it can be done in a helpful way, without the Spanish Inquisition, which is only going to put people off taking any well-intentioned advice.
    So, I'll ask that everyone posts in a way that is helpful.
    Do not reply to this part of this post on thread please.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Mod hat off:
    I'll kick things off OP, by answering your initial question. Contact the breed society, they're the best positioned to advise. But do remember, if they advise against, or if they can't find an owner of a bitch to mate with your dog, then read between the lines. If they don't feel your dog is suitable, be prepared to accept that.

mod , im not involved in some puppy farm our out to get in on some handy money scheme , the idea was suggested to me by someone else and neither are they two bit dog dealers

I might be able to afford a 2 k bulldog someday so in the mean time il enjoy my six year old , hes hardly the first dog to hump his bed furiously

sure buying a cheap car can pose risks aswell , if it doesn't work out , at least I only spent a relatively small amount of money

hes a nice dog , I like him and hopefully I will get a year or two of enjoyment from him , il be sure to bring him for a full check up in September when his next shots are due

Without causing offense and sounding rialled up, most of us here wouldn't equate our dogs to cars that might break down. Of course his health should be paramount to you, especially if you have any intentions of breeding him. In fact, like you would do with any new dog, he should have been taken for a check up immediately after you purchased him. That is very commonplace, regardless of where and how you got the dog.

To reiterate, no one here is accusing you of anything. Not once has anyone accused you of being any of the things you have valiantly listed off.
    The dog should be fully health screened before breeding, and you don't plan to do this until September.
    You don't know why the original owners wanted rid of him, and for so cheap.
    You're having some minor problems with him at the minute, which could end up affecting a future pup or dog.

We're asking these questions because the answers would seriously affect our resulting advise on whether or not you should breed your dog in order to obtain another puppy. Not because we think you're shady.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

mod , im not involved in some puppy farm our out to get in on some handy money scheme , the idea was suggested to me by someone else and neither are they two bit dog dealers

I never suggested that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

DBB wrote: »
    I never suggested that :)

The thrashing bus driver has got online here is really disgusting -and yes -from both andreac, shaha shaha & yourself the way your are all rounding on him & the way you are interrogating him it does look like you are accusing him of that.

Another animal & pets bullying thread.

Congratulations -you should be ashamed of yourselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement