Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Criminal Law (links for information??)

• 25-05-2013 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi, sorry if this is already posted (couldn't see it anywhere).
    I was wondering could anyone link to detailed information about the Criminal Court System and Arrest and Detention in Ireland. Also information about Defences to a Crime?

Anyone able to tell me the best sites to look up Criminal Law In Ireland would be great to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭seb65

The Irish Law Reform Commission has published papers on criminal defenses, they give great background and foundational knowledge. Google it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Sebs suggestion is excellent. Another/addition approach might be to purchase an older Kings Inns manual (they are published by the private colleges) from adverts.ie. You should be able to obtain a 2010/2011 for no more than 20-30 euro. You might also want to purchase a copy of the evidence manual as these are inexorably linked. For reading full cases you can try www.bailii.org. We follow the English approach in many instances so don't be afraid to read English cases, the manual will point out where the major differences are.

Lastly legislation can be found here. Beware old legislation that has been amended. Of particular interest would be the Non-fatal Offences Against the Person Act and the Criminal Justice (Theft and Fraud Offences) Act, 2001. More serious crimes, somewhat bizarrely, are not fully codified (i.e. are not completely under the ambit of legislation). These are common law offences and you have to read the case law/commentary. This is where the LRC reports will really come into their own in explaining the law.

I wish you all the best and hope you find all this as interesting as I do!

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

An FE1 manual will have jurisdiction, Courts, Arrest, Detention and Bail as its examinable. So, rather than going right through Evidence separately that might be earlier.

www.citizensinformation.ie has a lot of data on it as does ICCL website.

Tom

Advertisement