Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012/2013 season review

Options
  • 25-05-2013 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭

Player of the year - Bale

What else can we say about him. He received 4 rewards for his goal-scoring exploits, scored more than 20 goals for the first time since Klinsmann in 93/94 and almost single-handedly kept us in the chase for 4th until the last day of the season.

Goal of the season - Bale against Norwich

It highlighted everything in his locker - pace, dribbling skill and an awesome left boot. The screamers against West Ham and on the final day against Sunderland deserve special mention, especially the Sunderland one considering the potential significance of it.

Highlight of the season - Finally beating Man Utd in Old Trafford

A game that us Spurs fans usually wrote off as a guaranteed loss, we shocked everyone with an incredibly dramatic 2 - 3 win where we were holding on for dear life in the end. The come back against City also deserves mention.

Low point of the season - Losing to Liverpool/Fulham

Obviously missing out on CL on the last day of the season was absolutely sickening, but for me losing away to Liverpool while being in complete control of not only that particular game, but also our season was heartbreaking. I had hoped that it wouldn't define the rest of our season but it really did. Losing to Fulham at home was about as depressed as I'd been all season too, the lowest point of our entire season up to that point. It seemed like we'd just thrown away any chances of coming 4th.

Players that performed - Bale, Dembele, Lennon, Walker, Lloris, Vertonghen, Dawson

Although I'm sure others will disagree, I thought Walker showed what he's capable of towards the end of the season. Although he was directly responsible for the loss against Liverpool, and some other stupid goals, he's maturing nicely and should be much better next season. The others don't really need explaining, though Lennon only just about got in this bracket as I don't think he contributed enough goals or assists.

Players that underperformed - Ade, Defoe, BAE, Gallas, Holtby

No need to elaborate. Not enough goals scored by either Defoe or Ade. Parker could maybe have gone in here but I think it's more a case that he doesn't suit AVB's style. Dempsey and Siggy could have gone in here too, but both have contributed in some way. Need more from them next season assuming they're still here.

AVB - His first season

I'm happy with him. He's done extremely well with the players at his disposal. He seems very capable of changing things around during a match, but also in the training ground as was evident by us going from regularly conceding late goals to being one of the best in the league for not conceding late. He also added steel to the team as I don't remember us ever scoring so many late goals. It's great to get a result, either a win or draw, when it seems we've run out of time! Hopefully he'll get the players he needs this summer and we'll see what he's really made of.

2012/2013 - The Season

What an amazing season. It was riveting from the first game to the last minute of the last game. I know it was difficult missing out on CL footie again, but there was so much to be happy with. Bale, winning so many games away from home, AVB's tactical abilities, winning points at the death - it will be tough watching Arsenal again in the CL next season while we slave away on Thursday nights but hopefully next season we'll get that magic bit of luck that allows us to finish in the top 4.

2013/2014 - Next Season

What do we need? Sandro & Kaboul back from injury, a new striker, left winger and left back. Maybe some creativity through the middle, but I reckon getting the striker and two left players will make a massive difference. It's up to Levy now, let's hope he's seen what AVB is capable of and backs him fully. Also, personally I have to hope we don't put so much stock in the Europa League. It killed us this season and we just don't have the squad to compete on both levels. I reckon the same could be said of us playing in the CL as our league performances could well suffer, but I'm sure we'd all put up with that!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Great read and thanks for taking the time to write it.

But I disagree about Dawson and Walker (no surprise for you).

There's a reason why we leaked so many goals and it cant all be because of the left back. Dawson & Vertonghen isn't a good enough partnership. Neither can handle set pieces too well. Alot of people seem to give Dawson a break because of his passion but he really is not good enough for a top 4 club.

Walker made a huge step backwards compared to last season. He had maybe two good games this season.

We leaked so many goals yet 4/5 at the back had a good season....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

We missed sandro an awful lot, whatever about no-Modric this season when we lost sandro the spine went out of the team. AVB had to do a hell of a lot of tweaking with no one able to fill sandro's role, can't wait to have the guy back, healed and at full fitness, what a beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

irishmover wrote: »
    But I disagree about Dawson and Walker (no surprise for you).

You know, I was out playing golf today and thinking about this and you're right, particularly about Walker. It's easy for me to only remember the last few matches, or quarter of a season, but the reality of it is that he didn't have a good season. I actually thought he was poor last season, even though his performances were well received. I guess I just saw things improve so much during the final quarter that I got carried away and forgot how poor he was earlier.

I agree with Pleasant co. too - Sandro would've made our backline that little bit more secure. Let's hope his injury doesn't affect his performance or acceleration as we need him at his best next season.

Advertisement