Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Ground kitchens closed by fsai

• 25-05-2013 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

went for a meal in an Old Ground today to be told that the kitchens were closed for technical reasons.

i then checked the food safety authority website to see that the hotel has a closure issued against them by the HSE.

just shows that even premises we think r ok can have problems under the surface.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Which hotel? Can you link to the FSAI report on their web page?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I just did a quick search on the website for the business name and I couldn't find anything so I have snipped the business name from the Op.

Mrs. Clareman was in there today by the way and they were told there was no electricity in the kitchen but they were doing soup and sandwiches (Which she had), there was also a wedding there yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Thanks for the link Kristopherus, I've put back in the business name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

banner1964 wrote: »
    went for a meal in an Old Ground today to be told that the kitchens were closed for technical reasons.

i then checked the food safety authority website to see that the hotel has a closure issued against them by the HSE.

just shows that even premises we think r ok can have problems under the surface.

close it to fu.k!were in a tough economic climate so i have to justify my job!
    no warning?(never heard of problems so was there a consultation?) this happened to a fine/well run establishment in east clare also:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

pilate 1 wrote: »
    close it to fu.k!were in a tough economic climate so i have to justify my job!
    no warning?(never heard of problems so was there a consultation?) this happened to a fine/well run establishment in east clare also:mad:

I don't understand a lot of your post, but a closure order doesn't happen for any old reason. It's a drastic step taken only in dire circumstances; circumstances a "fine/well run establishment" wouldn't allow arise.

In some cases there would be a "consultation", but in more serious cases there wouldn't be time for that. The way it should be, I think.

Hugely disappointing to hear about the Old Ground. I wonder how they'll handle the PR side of it now. Not a good start if they're brushing it under the carpet (no acknowledgement on their web site, or Twitter a/c; passing it off as "technical difficulties"), but it's early days yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

cgarvey wrote: »
    I don't understand a lot of your post, but a closure order doesn't happen for any old reason. It's a drastic step taken only in dire circumstances; circumstances a "fine/well run establishment" wouldn't allow arise.

In some cases there would be a "consultation", but in more serious cases there wouldn't be time for that. The way it should be, I think.

Hugely disappointing to hear about the Old Ground. I wonder how they'll handle the PR side of it now. Not a good start if they're brushing it under the carpet (no acknowledgement on their web site, or Twitter a/c; passing it off as "technical difficulties"), but it's early days yet.

I stayed there a few years back -if it was the sand old ground hotel if was in a beautiful spot with amazing staff & banquet breakfasts. They treated me extremely well ( I was stuck there by myself on a long business trip). Couldn't speak higher if the place. I wonder what went wrong? fSA in Dublin will issue orders for fridges not working -wonder if there was a break-down issue that they couldn't relive in time -no parts/old parts/etc.?
    Sad to hear of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I'm really disappointed with this news, the Old Ground is one of my favourite places to eat.

I think that management should have issued a full statement from day one about the hotel's difficulties with its drainage system and it would have reduced the amount of unhelpful/potentially damaging speculation.

I hope that they resolve the issues and re-open very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I'm really disappointed with this news, the Old Ground is one of my favourite places to eat.

I think that management should have issued a full statement from day one about the hotel's difficulties with its drainage system and it would have reduced the amount of unhelpful/potentially damaging speculation.

I hope that they resolve the issues and re-open very soon.

Me too. I've always loved eating in the Old Ground and hope that this doesn't tarnish their reputation or that no-one loses their job as a result - I've always found the staff there to be excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The hotel says an issue has been identified with part of it's drainage system, following recent refurbishment works

Sounds like someone doing the refurb made a mess of something ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Shur the could always apply for an intern to help clean up the mess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

These ****wits have to close something to be seen to be doing their jobs. More civil service nonsense. No wonder the country's broke etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

buck65 wrote: »
    These ****wits have to close something to be seen to be doing their jobs. More civil service nonsense. No wonder the country's broke etc.

Spot on- It would be more appropriate to close down the criminally unsafe Limerick A&E but they can't admit to thier mistake in putting the entire population of the mid west at its mercy before it was ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

maiden wrote: »
    Shur the could always apply for an intern to help clean up the mess

More bull**** talk. Probably from someone who never employed a person in their whole life:rolleyes:
    Talk the talk ................ can you walk the walk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

More bull**** talk. Probably from someone who never employed a person in their whole life:rolleyes:
    Talk the talk ................ can you walk the walk?

Here's an ad for a JobBridge intern for The Old Ground. Is that walking enough for you?

Created on: 18/05/2012 | Updated on: 24/05/2012 | Displayed until 17/06/2012 1 days from now
    Trainee Hotel Manager

Description
    The intern will gain practical experience in Food & beverage Service initially with opportunity to develop skills in other departments. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following Hygiene, Food Service, Wine, Customer Care. On completion the intern will have attained skills in Hospitality and be eligible to attend college on Block Release basis for further training.
    Skills Requirements

A pleasant outgoing personality who genuinely likes people and believes that tourists should be treated royally. Good results in Leaving Certificate in English, Home Economics, Business Subjects and Maths are a distinct advantage
    Please Note:

This is an Internship. An allowance of €50 per week will be paid in addition to your current Social Welfare payment.See eligibility criteria above.
    Send CV to mgleeson@oldgroundhotel.ie

Employer
    Duesbury Ltd. T/a Old Ground Hotel
    OConnell Street
    Ennis
    Co Clare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

If they keep this up the next thing will be the HSE inspecting creches and, like, actually closing some down 'till bad practices are rectified!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Maybe reread the article? It seems the hotel only closed the main kitchen. If the FSAI had closed the hotel, the entire hotel would be closed. This shows that the FSAI consulted with the hotel, and only the bare minimum was stopped.

Advertisement