Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossing the Border

Options
  • 25-05-2013 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

So I'm planning on using Amtrak to cross the border next week some time coming from Montreal to DC.

I'm over here on the IEC visa and was just wondering how difficult it'd be to cross. I'm buying a one way ticket as I have a friend who's travelling back and will be able to give me a lift - so will that pose a problem/make them more likley to refuse me?

What documentation will I need? Just my passport?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 irishcanadian

Afatpigeon wrote: »

What documentation will I need? Just my passport?

Thanks in advance.

First, if you hav'nt got ETSA, register for it now. It's your electronic visa.
    https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Have proof that you are going back to Montreal, apartment lease, drivers license etc. Make sure the friend who is bringing you back is available by phone, they may want to talk to them. I had the same happen to me when I first came over, one way ticket to Portland as a friend was selling me a car. The US Customs agent made me go back to the ticket counter and buy a return ticket, which I cashed in as soon as I go to Portland. That was back in 1997 and they have got stricter since then.

It depends on the agent you get, good luck. Let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

You don't need to apply for the ESTA if you're entering the US by road or rail.

It really depends on the border person you meet, some are more strict with the rules than others. I entered the US in Washington state with no return ticket to Canada and no estimated departure date from the US. I just told the border agent I was travelling in the US for 3 months and said my Canadian visa would still be valid when I left the US. He seemed happy with that.

Have a letter of employment in Canada at hand, lease agreement, anything irishcanadian mentioned and you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Afatpigeon

Huh. I've only been over here a few days so don't have any of that. Maybe a hostel booking for when I'm back in Montreal, or the word of my friend (who's canadian) would help.

I figure with my Canadian Visa it might be enough to get through and back, anyway. Maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Book the MegaBus back. They do one way trips from american cities to canadian ones for as little as a tenner for stupidly early/late trips on random days. Have a look at their website and book one from New York to Toronto one way. It'll cost you feck all and you'll be able to show a ticket back if there are any issues

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Afatpigeon

Yeah, might do that. Think I have a ride up and back now, which should make things much more straightforward, anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

op
    I did the same thing a few days ago. I only had one way train ticket from Montreal to NY
    you will be given 2 cards to fill in before boarding the train in Montreal. one of which everyone has to fill in and the other that all non u.s/Canadian passport holders fill in. also make sure to have 6 u.s dollars with you.. some type of fee the immigration guys charge.

you present these 2 cards and 6 us dollars to the immigration officer when they board the train at the border. they asked me a few simple questions.. I explained I'm just doing some travelling and visiting some relatives in NY. she asked do I have funds to support myself.. I said I do.. I have bank statements if you want to see them, she didn't. she was actually v nice despite all the scary stories I heard about u.s immigration. and she was smoking hot!

Advertisement