Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to germany

Options
  • 25-05-2013 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hi,

my friend and i are planning on moving to germany in september. we both have degrees in humanities and we have not decided what city to go yet. i am just looking for advice on what city might be best for getting work. we are not fussy about anything else, just whichever one we could get work in. any advice would be great

Regards
    Gina

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Hi Gina,

I am considering making the move myself. I'm currently looking at Berlin as the cost of living appears to be a bit less there.

Munich would seem to be one of the more expensive places to live.

At the moment I am trying to gather up some useful information on Germany. I'm particularly interested in things like the cost of childcare.

http://www.toytowngermany.com/ is a decent enough website for jobs and general discussion on life in Germany. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ggcarroll

thanks keith for getting back to me so soon, i will check that out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Nice link here, info from the German gov on moving to and living in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

yup,
    Berlin is cheap-ish for accomodation.
    Places like Munich, Hamburg or Düsseldorf are more expensive

The reason????
    I'd be quite linked to employment prospects.
    i.e. Munich has an unemployment rate of 4.9%.
    Freising which is 40km north of Munich (approx same size as waterford city) has unemployment of 2.4% as does Ingolstadt where Audi are based.
    To get a feel for those numbers, at the height of the boom Ireland had an unemployment rate of 3.1%.

Berlin is 12.3% in comparison.

Unlike many other countries, Berlin may be the largest city and the political capital and has a very rich history and far more vibrant life than other places in Germany, but it isnt the epicentre of business and trade and commerce in Germany.
    Im just menioning it as aparantly plenty of greeks and spanish and portugese who hadnt done their homework got caught out by this fact and ended up on the streets in Berlin after landing there thinking that it would be where all the job action is.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Making the move myself in August for a year,moving to Nordrhein-Westfalen. I'd always encourage anyone moving there to focus their attention to the West,based on the more significant employment opportunities. Eastern cities like Berlin,Dresden,Leipzig are all nice cities but unemployment in these areas are on par with Ireland. Best of luck with your plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Eadbhard

Seannew1: NorthRhine-Westfalia is a great choice, lot of towns, nice rural area in the north and south in easy reach, very multicultural, felt at home when I worked there, I return frequently to visit friends, friendly area and a lot of variety between Duesseldorf, Cologne, Duisburg with the lovely lower rhine area up to Essen, Bochum and Dortmund, fine old towns towards the East Soest and Paderborn with nice rural surrounding...good food and beer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

i lived outside Leipzig for 18 months and moved away from Germany due to the massive numbers of immigrants flooding in, it's hectic,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

CamperMan wrote: »
    i lived outside Leipzig for 18 months and moved away from Germany due to the massive numbers of immigrants flooding in, it's hectic,

You're taking the piss right? Were you not an immigrant??!??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

CamperMan wrote: »

lol at the hypocrisy of that post.

Advertisement