Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lumia 820 for £277 on Amazon [Now £200]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Beagslife wrote: »
    Had this on BA. Reposting.

Just a heads up for anyone looking to purchase a Nokia 820. It costs £277 incl VAT or approx €325.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-Lumia-Sim-free-Windows-Smartphone/dp/B00A0LJDYS

This model is direct from Amazon with free delivery. It includes the Lumia charging shell.

MC

Thanks op. been looking for a while. nice to get a bargain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭Beagslife

This has dropped again today to £260 or €305 approx.

You're ruining my buzz:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭Beagslife

You're ruining my buzz

Sorry!

If it hasn't been dispatched, call them and point out that the Amazon price is lower. They may amend it for you. Worth a try anyway.

MC

It arrived this morning. In a very badly packed box, which was open on two sides. It was my daughter that accepted it and couldn't say if it was An Post or a courier.
    The phone seemed fine, but they'll be getting a bit of a bollicking all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭jos22

now down to £179.00 , some 230- 250 euro cheaper than vodafone prepay

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A0LJDYS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

jos22 wrote: »
    now down to £179.00 , some 230- 250 euro cheaper than vodafone prepay

Title updated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

That price is only for someone with patience: Usually dispatched within 2 to 4 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

How does this compare to the Ativ on the other thread?

Anyone any idea on the value of a second hand Lumia 800 (Vodafone) if I were to upgrade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

g0g wrote: »

Anyone any idea on the value of a second hand Lumia 800 (Vodafone) if I were to upgrade?

I sold a locked (to Meteor) Lumia 800 two weeks ago for 100 euros on Adverts. Be advised if selling phones on Adverts: you'll get a lot of fcukin' eejits making offers then disappearing. It's a bit of a pain, and not something I've experienced selling other stuff through Adverts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Ativ S would probably be a better phone, but the Nokia comes with the Nokia extra's which the samsung won't get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

TBi wrote: »
    Ativ S would probably be a better phone, but the Nokia comes with the Nokia extra's which the samsung won't get.

Ativ S supports micro SD cards, if you've a lot of songs or photos. It also has replaceable battery.

Lumia 820 has a better camera and a few Nokia Apps and maybe FM Radio Support (when the Lumia "Amber" Update to WP8 hits in the coming weeks).

Nokia's GPS and Map Apps 'HERE Maps and HERE Drive' are available in the Windows app store for both devices.

That price is only for someone with patience: Usually dispatched within 2 to 4 weeks.

at time posting it was shipping in 24 hours,

Meteor cheapest prepay for the phone in ireland, followed by 02, dont know why vodafone are over charging so much for lumia range

Ativ S supports micro SD cards, if you've a lot of songs or photos. It also has replaceable battery.

So does the 820, up to 64GB as opposed to the 32GB limit of the Ativ. Also has replaceable battery

So does the 820, up to 64GB as opposed to the 32GB limit of the Ativ. Also has replaceable battery

Really? Thanks for that That's great stuff to know, assumed that it was the same as the 920, 925.

Oh, I may just have to buy one now :-)

Lower res screen and no Gorilla Glass though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I was waiting for the 1020 but am very tempted to sell my wifes iphone 4, give her my iphone 4s and get the 820 for myself...to try out windows 8 in comparison to ios before splashing out big bucks on the 1020 or the next iphone...any comments or advice appreciated...

ablelocks wrote: »
    I was waiting for the 1020 but am very tempted to sell my wifes iphone 4, give her my iphone 4s and get the 820 for myself...to try out windows 8 in comparison to ios before splashing out big bucks on the 1020 or the next iphone...any comments or advice appreciated...
    If you want to try WP8 for cheap and get a decent feel for the OS, the Lumia 520 is about €99 on most networks (PAYG) and is a fairly handy handset. Mrs. F. has one and I'm tempted even by that to replace my 3Gs.

I'd pay the extra for the 820. It's a higher spec phone and will give a better feel for WP8. Then again WP8 runs well on any hardware so not much of an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I have both.
    The only thing I miss on the ATIV S is the wireless charging and the Nokia Drive app. In every other way the ATIV S is a far superior phone.

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote: »
    I have both.
    The only thing I miss on the ATIV S is the wireless charging and the Nokia Drive app. In every other way the ATIV S is a far superior phone.

Nokia Drive is available for free in the Windows App Store. You can install it on the Ativ S. One less thing to miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Nokia Drive is available for free in the Windows App Store. You can install it on the Ativ S. One less thing to miss.

Free? It says €34 for me.

mad muffin wrote: »
    Free? It says €34 for me.

Are you looking at Here Drive or Here Drive+?

Nokia Here Drive is listed as free for me -
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/here-drive/9a0f7585-9f16-47d5-8041-28018fcea606

Hope that helps.

EDIT: hmm. It looks like it might only be free in certain markets (us/UK, etc.) apologies for any confusion.

Are you looking at Here Drive or Here Drive+?

Nokia Here Drive is listed as free for me -
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/here-drive/9a0f7585-9f16-47d5-8041-28018fcea606

Hope that helps.

EDIT: hmm. It looks like it might only be free in certain markets (us/UK, etc.) apologies for any confusion.

Are you not in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

Price now £ 237 via Amazon or £ 200 if you buy from another seller, although you'll need to factor in PM too in that case.

Maybe update thread title?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Price now £ 237 via Amazon or £ 200 if you buy from another seller, although you'll need to factor in PM too in that case.

Maybe update thread title?

£195.97 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

£195.97 now.

The magic price point has been reached, sub £200stg, and just in time to be delivered for my birthday in November! :D

I'll still be holding on to my N8 though, it's still a fantastic phone for music and camera functions. Actually it's still a great phone full stop, but Windows Phone 8 on the Lumia 820 has a few nifty features that the N8 will never have.

I thought about a second hand iphone 4 or a second hand galaxy S2, but I just don't like the ergonomics of either- iphone 4 far too thin and light for my liking, and the S2 requires too many thumb extensions for one handed use!

Czarcasm wrote: »
    The magic price point has been reached, sub £200stg, and just in time to be delivered for my birthday in November! :D

I'll still be holding on to my N8 though, it's still a fantastic phone for music and camera functions. Actually it's still a great phone full stop, but Windows Phone 8 on the Lumia 820 has a few nifty features that the N8 will never have.

I thought about a second hand iphone 4 or a second hand galaxy S2, but I just don't like the ergonomics of either- iphone 4 far too thin and light for my liking, and the S2 requires too many thumb extensions for one handed use!

Trying to decide between this and the Samsung atvi S.

Trying to decide between this and the Samsung atvi S.

Gerard have you a link for the price of the Ativ S? I read the review there on GSM Arena, and I thought gorilla glass would come as standard on the 820, which is why I was surprised it was mentioned as a feature on the Ativ.

Turns out the 820 DOESN'T have gorilla glass protection, and if it's one thing I'm thankful for on the N8 it's the fact the glass is still as clear as the day I bought it with no scratches and none of those mank screen protectors!

This might just be a game changer, as one of the things I liked about the 820 aside from the aesthetics (I hate the look of the S3, and it's slippy as a bar of soap in your hand!) was the lifetime of free voice guided navigation, plus the fact that Nokia support their devices a hell of a lot longer than Samsung do.

Urgh, ignorance was bliss :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I considered both the 820 and the ativ S but in the end the 920`s higher res,nicer screen and ofcourse nokia exclusive apps was too much to resist,hope it will be delivered early this week.
    If i had to choose between the 820 or ativ id go with the 820 but both are great phones.

Gerard have you a link for the price of the Ativ S?

YES, Here for £199.99

amazon has it back to 179 for black and £191.91 for Red

mad muffin wrote: »
    Are you not in Ireland?

nokia drive is free on certain lumia phones only

heretable-1373392088.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Is there an option available to use the Lumia 820 as a WiFi hotspot? Doesn't mention it on GSM Arena (though it does on the 920).

• Advertisement

Is there an option available to use the Lumia 820 as a WiFi hotspot? Doesn't mention it on GSM Arena (though it does on the 920).

Here you go -

http://deviceguides.vodafone.ie/web/nokia-lumia-820/customise/wi-fi/use-your-phone-as-wi-fi-hotspot/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Thanks. I may go ahead and pick one of these up so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

jos22 wrote: »
    nokia drive is free on certain lumia phones only

Wait so can anyone clarify this for me; is the irish map for Here Drive free for all windows phone 8 devices and allows you to use offline map download for driving navigation?

I always thought nokia drive was now free for all wp8 devices :confused:

Nokia maps are free, nokia drive isn't. As far as i know.

I.E. you can get all the maps, possibly even download them locally, but you won't get turn by turn.

Nokia maps are free, nokia drive isn't. As far as i know.

I.E. you can get all the maps, possibly even download them locally, but you won't get turn by turn.
    Not sure I can answer for all handsets, but we've got a Lumia 520 and a Lumia 920 in our house and both have Here Maps and Here Drive for free. (Actually, the 920 has Here Drive+, but the 520 just has Here Drive).

Both have turn-by-turn navigation by default - the Here Drive+ version allows you to download maps for multiple countries, whereas Here Drive is just for a single country (determined by your SIM card and phone setup). Here Drive can be upgraded to Here Drive+ for a €16 one-off purchase

You can also get Here Maps for free on both.

Actually, Here is a handy chart from Nokia (no pun intended).

Non-Nokia Devices can buy Here Drive+ for €34.99.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I have here drive+ for free on my 820 (unlocked from Amazon.co.uk)

Advertisement