Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to get rid of a confier tree stump?

• 25-05-2013 7:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭

So, Im clearing an area to put a new shed in and only one obstacle is in my way.
    A stubburn confier tree stump about 1/2 foot wide but with many deep roots.
    Would it ibe better to hire an electric saw and get to ground level?
    Or keep digging away at the roots?
    I have a week!

thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

So, Im clearing an area to put a new shed in and only one obstacle is in my way.
    A stubburn confier tree stump about 1/2 foot wide but with many deep roots.
    Would it ibe better to hire an electric saw and get to ground level?
    Or keep digging away at the roots?
    I have a week!

thanks

Dig down and cut the roots,then use a large breaker bar and lever it out.

Or hire a stump grinder from a hire shop for an afternoon.

Simples.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,836 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've been digging out leylandii stumps of late.
    yesterday, i got one stump (about eight inches in diameter, about eight inches above the ground) out with about four hours work - half of it on my knees. just loosened as much soil as i could with a garden fork around it, and slowly worked down through the roots, exposing them with a spade and trowel, cutting through the roots with a secateurs, loppers, or garden saw as necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Get a sharp Mattock, they make short work of stubborn roots

Advertisement