Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on a supply on horse manure

• 25-05-2013 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi fellow botanists.
    I have sourced a local supply of horse manure,its very good and a few years old,being added to regularly, its alive with worms when turned and beautifully dark with a great structure. I have got about ten tons so far and everywhere around the garden i mulch, there is such a visible benefit( the joys of gardening on a rock:) ).

I have found in the mulch some coal and timber embers,very small amount, that maybe gets mixed thru the manure during the winter months as its gathered up.

Would it be safe to mulch my veg beds with this manure?
    Or should i just keep using it to mulch around everything non edible?
    Thanks
    GL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Hi fellow botanists.
    I have sourced a local supply of horse manure,its very good and a few years old,being added to regularly, its alive with worms when turned and beautifully dark with a great structure. I have got about ten tons so far and everywhere around the garden i mulch, there is such a visible benefit( the joys of gardening on a rock:) ).

I have found in the mulch some coal and timber embers,very small amount, that maybe gets mixed thru the manure during the winter months as its gathered up.

Would it be safe to mulch my veg beds with this manure?
    Or should i just keep using it to mulch around everything non edible?
    Thanks
    GL

I wouldnt use fresh, only composted. And then I would only use it prior to planting, as it would have had time to truly rot down.

Yes you might wood and even weed seeds as sawdust is used in stables.
    Much better to compost it so all that goes away and you are left with black gold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

Thanks Sgt P
    Their is a mound with 50 -70 tonnes and been sitting there for a few years now. Really good stuff.
    With it well rotted down,do you think that any of the fireplace coals/embers with regards toxicity, be ok to mulch veg beds, and eating the same without worry. I use charles dowdings no dig method now and have to import extra manure than what my compost heap provides.And this source is just down the road with easy access. tks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,836 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

coal can have heavy metals in it, and is generally not recommended for veg beds.

Thanks Magic.
    I will look for another source as organic is my only goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

if you talk to any of the ould fellas around they say to mix ashes in with soil. its supposed to be great for potatoes
    have tried it this year myself wont know how its goin for a few weeks yet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,836 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

wood ash and turf ash are grand; it's coal ash which should be avoided.
    if the coal is at a certain level in the manure, i'm sure anything above it should be fine.

jimini0 wrote: »
    if you talk to any of the ould fellas around they say to mix ashes in with soil. its supposed to be great for potatoes
    have tried it this year myself wont know how its goin for a few weeks yet

Heard of that before jim and of great potato crops, wood ash= potash as far as i know, not tried it but
    let us know how it goes:)

Magic, thanks again

Advertisement