Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too much walking?

• 25-05-2013 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

So, myself and OH moved out of the country and back to the outskirts of town. One of the massive pluses was being able to safely walk Shadow again (the road by our house left it impossible to walk him as there were no footpaths, only patches of hard shoulders, and a lot of maniac drivers as it's so close to the border).

We've been taking him on a round trip that is usually broken up the first time by a coffee in my mother's where he gets some water. We do the walk twice a day and it's clocking in at between 2 and 3 miles, depending on whether we go full-circle or just up and down the short way. So the minimum he is getting is a 4 mile walk daily. Anyway, to the problem:

He's a collie-bernese cross, and will be 9 years old in October. We've noticed that between walks he is literally like the dead, sleeps solid and if he's awake he will literally lie on the couch for hours. We're a little concerned that his age may have caught up on him, and perhaps these walks are too long/frequent? Any ideas?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 bus_driver

I recently got a bulldog and the bugger is knackered after a KM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

My older dog started to slow down on his walks last year - on-lead, instead of being ahead with the other dogs, he started to lag behind. Also he started to hide when the harness came out.

Your dog doesn't sound as bad as that. Could it be the warm weather lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

paultf wrote: »
    My older dog started to slow down on his walks last year - on-lead, instead of being ahead with the other dogs, he started to lag behind. Also he started to hide when the harness came out.

Your dog doesn't sound as bad as that. Could it be the warm weather lately?

He's definitely slowing down, he used to (cheeky fudger) walk the full length of his lead in front of me, just barely not pulling, but now there is a noticeable slack and sometimes he will end up lagging. But as soon as he even hears the lead (which is nylon, so how he hears it is beyond me) he will come clattering at godly speeds and sit at the front door, harness in mouth. He clearly loves his walks, but I just don't want to end up damaging his joints by overdoing it.

Pic is of him asleep on the kitchen floor, he has not moved from this spot since we got back from our walk at 8.05pm. And taking previous days into account, he likely won't budge from there until 12.45am when his Daddy gets home :rolleyes:

As for the weather, it's been sporadic here in Monaghan, so it wouldn't account for the whole past fortnight

Well I can't say for sure but if you feel he is lagging a bit, maybe the walks might getting too long for him as he is 9. Or do you think he is getting stiff as the walk goes on and would he need a joint care supplement or something similar.

With my fella last year, someone on here suggested I take him for a checkup. The vet found a heart murmur and that was why he slowed down.

Well I can't say for sure but if you feel he is lagging a bit, maybe the walks might getting too long for him as he is 9. Or do you think he is getting stiff as the walk goes on and would he need a joint care supplement or something similar.

With my fella last year, someone on here suggested I take him for a checkup. The vet found a heart murmur and that was why he slowed down.

He was at the vet very recently over a lump on his back, she did a full check-up and said he is in peak health, aside from the fact that he is clearly very touched in the head :rolleyes: my vet is very familiar with the fact that Shadow believes himself to be some sort of alien dog-human hybrid. No sign of arthritis, no difficulty breathing etc. The problem only seems to arise after about 2 miles, so I think he must just not be fit for it any more. I imagine if it was causing him serious pain he would, like your fella, become reluctant to go for a walk :o

Not nice, admitting he's getting on in years :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

You could try, for the next week or two, going for shorter walks to see if this helps at all? The warm(ish) weather lately may not be helping!
    But I would nonetheless get your vet to do a mobility test of his joints (if not already done).
    Don't necessarily assume that just because he gets excited about going for a walk, that he's not in discomfort. The long-learned pre-walk excitement, and consequent adrenaline surge is certainly enough to mask some degree of pain... The circumstances described by paultf, where his dog started to hide, is strongly associated with heart or lung problems, but not as much with low-level joint pain.
    To illustrate with a personal story, my old dog would also race up to the door at walkie-time... I usually put the dogs in the van and bring them to the beach 2 mins away. So, into the van he'd gaily go... But once we arrived at the beach, he wouldn't get out of the van :-(

DBB wrote: »
    You could try, for the next week or two, going for shorter walks to see if this helps at all? The warm(ish) weather lately may not be helping!
    But I would nonetheless get your vet to do a mobility test of his joints (if not already done).
    Don't necessarily assume that just because he gets excited about going for a walk, that he's not in discomfort. The long-learned pre-walk excitement, and consequent adrenaline surge is certainly enough to mask some degree of pain... The circumstances described by paultf, where his dog started to hide, is strongly associated with heart or lung problems, but not as much with low-level joint pain.
    To illustrate with a personal story, my old dog would also race up to the door at walkie-time... I usually put the dogs in the van and bring them to the beach 2 mins away. So, into the van he'd gaily go... But once we arrived at the beach, he wouldn't get out of the van :-(

He was checked at the vets, he doesn't appear to have any problems with mobility, unless he has been walked. It really depends.

For example, he literally just fired across the kitchen and through the sitting room and launched himself onto the couch to look out the window to see what dog was barking. But when I called him for his dinner about 2 minutes after we got back from the walk, he seemed to be quite stiff in getting up.

Do you think maybe shorter walking, or just less walking would be better. IE should I try just once a day, or shorten the walk and continue to do it twice? Might just take a trip back to the vet to be on the safe side, but he's my first dog and ever since his muzzle went grey I have it in my head that he's going to drop dead on me any day now :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

My two 14 yr olds (border c lab x) started slowing down at abt 11 and one would just stop at a certain point and wait till I turned around. Now at 14 its short walks and lots of snoozing I know they both struggle on hills and both suffer joint problems but they still perk up with talk of a walk! 3 miles isn't awfully long for that breed but some dogs do age quicker I'd try short walks and see how shadow is with that. Beautiful pic btw lovely dog.

Oh stop, I know! The getting old bit is just horrible.
    Hmm, what sort of walks do you go on? Are we talking power walks, or ambling meanders?
    I think I'd do a bit of experimenting. Go for a couple of shorter walks, or if you're going the same distance, do it slower?
    Are you supplementing with anything specifically for ageing joints?

DBB wrote: »
    Oh stop, I know! The getting old bit is just horrible.
    Hmm, what sort of walks do you go on? Are we talking power walks, or ambling meanders?
    I think I'd do a bit of experimenting. Go for a couple of shorter walks, or if you're going the same distance, do it slower?
    Are you supplementing with anything specifically for ageing joints?

I'm currently trying to lose weight, not really fit myself, so I would say they are more of a ramble. Very varied scenery and altitude depending on which direction I take. Sorta hard to describe, but the entire full walk is a circle and my house is in the middle of the route. If I go X way and come back X way, it's down a hill and up the hill on the way back, but if I go Y way, it's up a fairly steep hill, and then up another one on the way back.

I don't think we could do the walk much slower, but I might try just going Y way until I hit town and then go back - it's only 1 1/2 miles, and if he's still bursting with energy, I'll increase in increments until he's tired :o

This is the face I get at the front door when I suggest a walk (by the way, we can't even spell walk in front of him. Or stroll. We've had to start saying Nantucket - he hasn't figured that one out yet)

At the minute he's just on fish oil mixed into James Wellbeloved Senior - the vet seemed to think this was fine given he wasn't displaying any problems. He gets a tin of tuna twice a week as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Is that for me DBB?
    I had about a 4 mile circular walk when they were younger and a two mile hilly one every second day. But one was born with hip dysplasia he actually improved with age and we used to give him metacalm until we realised it was making him dopey and worse! Now it's the female whose suffering she has vestibular disorder and a bad attack has affected her gait she has gotten anti biotics and we give her joint care dont know if thats helping - I live in the wildsand they both benefit from off road walks I think the pavements are hard on them - love them like life but I know we won't have them too much longer at the moment tho they are happy.

not for me sorry for hijacking shadow! I'm interested in any threads about elder dogs for obvious reasons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

He's gorgeous!!

andreac wrote: »
    He's gorgeous!!

He's a grumpy old (insert cuss here) but I love showing him off :p

Hi pretzill,
    It was for Shashabear as it happens! But it sounds like your own oldies are enjoying life! I think it's important to try to strike a balance with the oldies, allowing them enough activity to keep them physically and mentally sharp, but not so much that they're utterly shattered by it!

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    He was checked at the vets, he doesn't appear to have any problems with mobility, unless he has been walked. It really depends.

I just thought of a couple of other things.

When Darby was with the vet in Dublin for the heart scan a couple of weeks ago he did a full checkup aswell.

First thing he pointed out was that Darby had stiffness in his left hind leg. I never noticed this before nor did my local vet. He is now on meds for this. When I got home I couldn't understand how I didn't spot this before? I wasn't aware that there was a problem so I didn't go looking, I suppose. Also on-lead I think it is harder to spot these things than off-lead.

The vet in Dublin also did some x-rays. Turns out Darby has a slight problem with his lungs. The vet didn't know if this was old age or if the heart meds were causing the problem. He is off the latter as his murmur hasn't disimproved. Also the vet asked me to keep an eye on his breathing. I have noticed on one off-lead walk that he takes his time going up a slight hill and I can hear his heavy breathing. Another off-lead walk, up another hill - he is slow going up with heavy breathing but then sprints back down the hill!

Around the house you wouldn't know that Darby will be 11 in November. He jumps up on to the couch, going for walks he jumps into the back the hatchback, etc.

I also noticed last year he was stiff getting up from a lying position. I think he has improved mainly because of the supplements.

You mentioned walking Shadow on-lead. Maybe if you were to check him out off-lead you might spot something different.

I just thought of a couple of other things.

When Darby was with the vet in Dublin for the heart scan a couple of weeks ago he did a full checkup aswell.

First thing he pointed out was that Darby had stiffness in his left hind leg. I never noticed this before nor did my local vet. He is now on meds for this. When I got home I couldn't understand how I didn't spot this before? I wasn't aware that there was a problem so I didn't go looking, I suppose. Also on-lead I think it is harder to spot these things than off-lead.

The vet in Dublin also did some x-rays. Turns out Darby has a slight problem with his lungs. The vet didn't know if this was old age or if the heart meds were causing the problem. He is off the latter as his murmur hasn't disimproved. Also the vet asked me to keep an eye on his breathing. I have noticed on one off-lead walk that he takes his time going up a slight hill and I can hear his heavy breathing. Another off-lead walk, up another hill - he is slow going up with heavy breathing but then sprints back down the hill!

Around the house you wouldn't know that Darby will be 11 in November. He jumps up on to the couch, going for walks he jumps into the back the hatchback, etc.

I also noticed last year he was stiff getting up from a lying position. I think he has improved mainly because of the supplements.

You mentioned walking Shadow on-lead. Maybe if you were to check him out off-lead you might spot something different.

Unfortunately he can't be walked off-lead, there are no dog-free areas around where I live, and Shadow is extremely dog-aggressive :( Trust me though, if you saw his ass hawl me 25 metres down the street after what looks like a cat, you'd know all about it :P

We were thinking of taking him for a proper groom, so we might make an appointment with the vet while we are there :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

It kind of different just getting a brief checkover while you at the vet as opposed to bringing your dog to the vet with specific symptoms. Id bring your dog back to the vet and explain the "slowing down" and the stiffness you sometimes notice, unfortunately a lot of dogs who seem less active as they age actually do have arthritis pain, but it gets put down to "getting older" - when in actual fact the correct treatment could transform them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

My older dog started slowing down early last year, he's somewhere between 6.5 and 8 years old, that's the best frame I can put on it really, now he has a low grade heart murmur plus a 'dodgy' back leg that is quite stiff due to an injury before we got him, I cut back on his walks, 2 shorter walks per day and I'm also concious of the weather ie if it's too cold or raining or even a bit 'stuffy' like it is today I won't take him on the afternoon walk, I'll try and take him later, had him out early this morning and it was sunny, I literally see him slowing down on the second leg of the walk and panting a bit more (I only do 1.5 miles with him).

Like you I'm trying to lose a bit of weight but we also have a younger collie mix who will walk for miles and miles and miles and miles (repeat to fade) so I've always got company. She was on bedrest just before Christmas and I went walking on my own in the afternon it felt soooo weird walking without dogs!! Would you walk on your own as well or would doggie just be too put out by that?

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    My older dog started slowing down early last year, he's somewhere between 6.5 and 8 years old, that's the best frame I can put on it really, now he has a low grade heart murmur plus a 'dodgy' back leg that is quite stiff due to an injury before we got him, I cut back on his walks, 2 shorter walks per day and I'm also concious of the weather ie if it's too cold or raining or even a bit 'stuffy' like it is today I won't take him on the afternoon walk, I'll try and take him later, had him out early this morning and it was sunny, I literally see him slowing down on the second leg of the walk and panting a bit more (I only do 1.5 miles with him).

Like you I'm trying to lose a bit of weight but we also have a younger collie mix who will walk for miles and miles and miles and miles (repeat to fade) so I've always got company. She was on bedrest just before Christmas and I went walking on my own in the afternon it felt soooo weird walking without dogs!! Would you walk on your own as well or would doggie just be too put out by that?

I'd have no problem walking on my own now I think - to be honest, poor Shadow was the excuse! :P I was way more likely to go for a walk when I had in my head that it was for his health and well-being, and not for myself. But I'm in a habit now, so it might be easier. We're just back from a quick walk to the shop, about 15 minutes at his pace (which was decidedly fast, considering the KCC puppy that was being walked in front of him). He's panting and lying in his cool spot, but seems to be way more alert and less stiff when he moves :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

My cocker is the same, infact i posted here a few months ago to see if he was being over execised.

he's just turned 8, he's had a very active life so far, and for the past 6 mnths or so I've been runninh him 30 k per week (approx) and like your guy he too has started to slow down. the very odd day he has lipmed on his front leg and is slow to get out of bed on some days not all days etc. so ive stopped running him a month or so now and just keep his walks no more than 5 k three times per week and he seems better.

He's been on burns and salmon oil for about 6 years now.

So after paultf's post about his cocker (thanks paul) i called my vet. She said he maybe has the onset of arthitus and needs a stronger supplement for his joints. While she said salmon oil is excellent when dogs get older they sometimess needs something a little stronger. So he's going to see her this week, after he gets clipped tomorrow as she's going to do a full MOT on him bloods and all to make sure 100% theres nothing else wrong with him etc.

so ill let you know how he gets on :D

First pic is of him in his normal happy face...

next two pictures are of him sleeping after a run... he is supposed to be helping me study for my exams!!!!

ps every dog needs a pillow you know!

• Advertisement

cocker5 wrote: »
    My cocker is the same, infact i posted here a few months ago to see if he was being over execised.

he's just turned 8, he's had a very active life so far, and for the past 6 mnths or so I've been runninh him 30 k per week (approx) and like your guy he too has started to slow down. the very odd day he has lipmed on his front leg and is slow to get out of bed on some days not all days etc. so ive stopped running him a month or so now and just keep his walks no more than 5 k three times per week and he seems better.

He's been on burns and salmon oil for about 6 years now.

So after paultf's post about his cocker (thanks paul) i called my vet. She said he maybe has the onset of arthitus and needs a stronger supplement for his joints. While she said salmon oil is excellent when dogs get older they sometimess needs something a little stronger. So he's going to see her this week, after he gets clipped tomorrow as she's going to do a full MOT on him bloods and all to make sure 100% theres nothing else wrong with him etc.

so ill let you know how he gets on :D

First pic is of him in his normal happy face...

next two pictures are of him sleeping after a run... he is supposed to be helping me study for my exams!!!!

ps every dog needs a pillow you know!

Cocker5, you absolutely have to warn people of the cuteness overload before posting pictures like that! Those eyes nearly killed me!!

PS - Dogs need an entire bed, not just a pillow.
    In this pic, he was playing Careless Whisper on the stereo, and had lit candles for me too :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Shashabear, those are WHITE teeth!! Hes beautiful.
    A big breed like that is bound to slow down at age 9.
    My older dog is getting 2 shorter walks/day now. I always say HOME when we turn around on our walks. I knew it was time to shorten his walks, when he would stop and look up at me, and not move, then when I said HOME? he would turn around and amble homeward :rolleyes: (not too subtle my dog!!)

aonb wrote: »
    Shashabear, those are WHITE teeth!! Hes beautiful.
    A big breed like that is bound to slow down at age 9.
    My older dog is getting 2 shorter walks/day now. I always say HOME when we turn around on our walks. I knew it was time to shorten his walks, when he would stop and look up at me, and not move, then when I said HOME? he would turn around and amble homeward :rolleyes: (not too subtle my dog!!)

Giving him a trigger would be great, but Shadow is a bit, shall we say, special? I imagine he would bolt home with excitement, and then huff because his walk was over :P
    We stuck to the one walk today, and I have to say the difference is very obvious. He recovered after a good nap and was pretty active and alert come around 6PM. I decided not to walk him again just to see at what point of the night he might begin to get hyper, so I could figure out when best to walk him again. Well, he's just started to get unsettled now, which is a bit late for walking in this area, but I imagine another 15 minute stroll at about 8 or 9 as well as one in the morning will be more his style!

He has a wicked smile alright, works wonders with his male "companions"!

Advertisement