Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free University of Ireland / Saor-Ollscoil na hÉireann

Options
  • 25-05-2013 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I have found leaflets about the "Free University of Ireland" in various libraries around Dublin and I'm curious about it. It sounds like a very interesting organisation with admirable goals but I'm wary that I can't find very many references to it online.

Apparently it's possible to attend this college to study Liberal Arts to BA, MA or PhD level. They say that their lecturers are volunteers and they charge a flat fee of €500 per year. They're online at http://saor-ollscoil.ie/

I was hoping that someone who has experience with FUI could tell me about their experience. I achieved a good leaving cert but didn't secure enough passes to gain access to any of the mainstream colleges. I won't be eligible to be a mature entrant for another two years. I'm interested in language and humanities and I'm very keen to keep learning.

Are the degrees from this college accredited in the same way as universities and ITs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

jkml wrote: »
    I have found leaflets about the "Free University of Ireland" in various libraries around Dublin and I'm curious about it. It sounds like a very interesting organisation with admirable goals but I'm wary that I can't find very many references to it online.

Apparently it's possible to attend this college to study Liberal Arts to BA, MA or PhD level. They say that their lecturers are volunteers and they charge a flat fee of €500 per year. They're online at http://saor-ollscoil.ie/

I was hoping that someone who has experience with FUI could tell me about their experience. I achieved a good leaving cert but didn't secure enough passes to gain access to any of the mainstream colleges. I won't be eligible to be a mature entrant for another two years. I'm interested in language and humanities and I'm very keen to keep learning.

Are the degrees from this college accredited in the same way as universities and ITs?

They award their own courses. I would be quite wary of that then and would say no the accreditations are not the same.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement