Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert in 5th year?!

Options
  • 25-05-2013 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

:confused: A kid in my class has missed alot in third year, he only came in for 3 days (2 last week and 1 on first week of school). Same with 1st and 2nd year, he missed ALOT of days and probably only came in less than 10 days in total. He basically didn't even come to school this year, he is unable due to some illness he has (that's what the teachers say). When he was in school last week, people in my class asked him what is he going to do with his Junior Cert. He said he's allowed to do it during 5th year because he can't do it in 3rd year :confused::confused::confused::confused:.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭Dodo Bird

:confused: A kid in my class has missed alot in third year, he only came in for 3 days (2 last week and 1 on first week of school). Same with 1st and 2nd year, he missed ALOT of days and probably only came in less than 10 days in total. He basically didn't even come to school this year, he is unable due to some illness he has (that's what the teachers say). When he was in school last week, people in my class asked him what is he going to do with his Junior Cert. He said he's allowed to do it during 5th year because he can't do it in 3rd year :confused::confused::confused::confused:.
    Next time you see him ask him to stop the bull crap about doing the JC in 5th year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Dodo Bird wrote: »
    Next time you see him ask him to stop the bull crap about doing the JC in 5th year :D
    Haha, next time i'll see him will probably be next January :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Jack_OLantern

Haha, next time i'll see him will probably be next January :rolleyes:.

I think he might have to repeat as the Department of Education requires a certain no. of days so he may have to stay back a year :( Bad luck I guess.

I think he might have to repeat as the Department of Education requires a certain no. of days so he may have to stay back a year :( Bad luck I guess.
    Shouldn't you be asleep :eek::D

Shouldn't you be asleep :eek::D

Guess I could ask you the same question! :) I just came back from a Communion in Dublin, so I'm kinda late. Ah well, who needs sleep?

• Advertisement

Guess I could ask you the same question! :) I just came back from a Communion in Dublin, so I'm kinda late. Ah well, who needs sleep?
    Your right, who needs sleep, hard men do not need sleep, they can survive days without sleep ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

The Junior Cert is not mandatory. It is possible to get an exemption.

poisonated wrote: »

Difficult for illness, although a doctor's note or something would probably be enough. Usually it involves serious learning difficulties or mental health issues.

poisonated wrote: »
    Makes sense, that's what I thought. I've never heard of this case however, I suppose Suprious can tell us if he's bluffing or telling the truth.

Your right, who needs sleep, hard men do not need sleep, they can survive days without sleep ;)
    I went to sleep at 3am >.<.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If he has an illness he is entitled to home schooling. No reason why he couldn't have sat the exam with his own class. No real need to sit the JC anyway.

spurious wrote: »
    If he has an illness he is entitled to home schooling. No reason why he couldn't have sat the exam with his own class. No real need to sit the JC anyway.
    I don't think he did home schooling as he doesn't know ANYTHING. So if you have an illness, and you don't home school, you can just don't do the JC?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Doing the JC is not compulsory, neither is doing the LC.

If he hasn't been homeschooled his parents can be charged as they have a responsibility to educate him, whether that be at a school, like most people, or at home.

In my opinion it's a dreadful form of child abuse to leave a child deliberately uneducated.

Advertisement