Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free upgrade to eFibre

Options
  • 25-05-2013 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭

I've got 150meg fibre eircom broadband. There is FTTH in my estate. Will my monthly bill go down now when everyone (who is an eircom broadband customer) is now getting a free upgrade to eFibre?

edit: Also, I can't register for Wifihub/studyhub etc because I'm a fibre customer. Your system is telling me i'm not a 'broadband' customer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Is there a list of the areas that can receive the upgrades?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi funkyflea,

I'm afraid we have not been informed of any price charge as of yet however it may come in the future.

Can you please PM me your account number and I will look into the issue you are having with wifihub/studyhub. I will come back to you with more information.

Thanks

Tracey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi coolhull,

If you go to our website www.eircom.ie you will find the information you need.

Thanks

Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 13 m03et005

funkyflea

I'm guessing you signed up to the fibre trial in Wexford. I, like yourself, was wondering what what the situation is with the pricing of the plans.

Have a look at this thread in the forum to see if it's similar to your situation - http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056953187/1#post84710621.

I've contacted eircom a number of times and understand that if your a pilot customer you're stuck with your current price plan. You're only option is to cancel your current plan (you're not in contract or at least I'm not) and sign up to efibre. This seems crazy to me as it means that in my case my copper landline will need to be reconnected. A technician will have to call to house and I'll end up paying the efibre rates. Why can't they just change the pricing of the current plans to align with the efibre plans?

In a way, I'd prefer to get the landline back in. At least, you'd have the option of other suppliers and presumably eircom would know what you were talking about when you rang them as no one seems to have a clue regarding the pilot scheme. I feel I was involved in an experiment and that it's over and they've decided on FTTC, you can go feck off with yourself.

Having said that I spoke to a guy in support today who at least tried to help and agreed that it was unfair that the neighbour next door could sign up now and get a superior product regarding speed, download allowance and calls bundle for the same rate as I pay. He spoke to a supervisor a few times. To cut a long story short, he has to speak to somebody on Tuesday involved in the fibre programme and will get back to me. I'll let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Will eircoms existing customers have the same package and charges as we have now? In other words, are we getting this upgrade for free? I know there's no installation fee for existing customers, (rightly so) but the question is, do we have to pay more for having faster broadband?
    Will there be an increased charge in my monthly bills?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Sean007s

I'd love to know as well. (I believe it is completely free though)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

According to https://secure.eircom.net/fibre/

The highest package is 70Mb for €55 (€60 after 6 months). I'm paying €65 for 150Mb (although only getting around 80Mb). 
    So - are eircom ditching FTTH for FTTC and does that mean I won't be receiving 150Mb any longer?

If I am, I'll probably stay as a fibre trial customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 m03et005

Funkyflea

According to the thread linked above, a person replied claiming that:

"all fibre trial customers will be set at up to 70mb until sometime next year when the bulk of the exchanges are upgraded... ftth customer will eventually offered up to 150mb sometime in 2015. contracts for efibre is 18months

fttc customer will be limited to up to 70mb until vectoring is enabled after that speeds will go up beyond 100mb but again not until after 2015 when the bulk of the exchanges in the country have been enabled
    you should be able to upgrade to 70mb but you will enter a new contract.

all new customers for now will only be fttc and voip will NOT be available so the engineers will install 1 point called an NTU for the fibre modem to connect and upto 2 points called DPE for a (Plain Old Telephone System) type phone. the fibre modem will ONLY work on the NTU point and not on the DPE points. Engineers will move the NTU up to 30metres from the point in the hall using cat 5 cabling

total install time will be about 2hrs and the engineers have been trained to instruct customer how to connect upto 2 wireless devices. then the customer will have to sign a checklist form to say that the equipment is installed and up n running BEFORE an engineer can sign a job as being completed.

ftth will only be available to the existing trial customers or customers that live in a ftth wired building.

eircom will not be installing ftth in existing buildings for a good while yet"

If this is correct and it seems pretty informed, you or I (fibre trial also) were and still are not capable of receiving 150mbs. I think there was 10e difference between 25, 50 and 125mbs plans when signing up. The point is you signed up for 125mb when that product was not available. Whilst 80mb speed is great, you could have signed up for 50mb and saved yourself a tenner a month. It's the false advertising/confusion that's annoying me.

Also, you're stuck now with eircom as I'd put money on vodafone, sky etc. only supporting FTTC for the foreseeable future. Although I think Magnet will provide broadband service to FTTH customers. Interestingly, their "fat pipe" product promises speeds up to 70mbs, which is consistent with the information quoted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

m03et005 wrote: »
    Funkyflea

According to the thread linked above, a person replied claiming that:

"all fibre trial customers will be set at up to 70mb until sometime next year when the bulk of the exchanges are upgraded... ftth customer will eventually offered up to 150mb sometime in 2015. contracts for efibre is 18months

fttc customer will be limited to up to 70mb until vectoring is enabled after that speeds will go up beyond 100mb but again not until after 2015 when the bulk of the exchanges in the country have been enabled
    you should be able to upgrade to 70mb but you will enter a new contract.

all new customers for now will only be fttc and voip will NOT be available so the engineers will install 1 point called an NTU for the fibre modem to connect and upto 2 points called DPE for a (Plain Old Telephone System) type phone. the fibre modem will ONLY work on the NTU point and not on the DPE points. Engineers will move the NTU up to 30metres from the point in the hall using cat 5 cabling

total install time will be about 2hrs and the engineers have been trained to instruct customer how to connect upto 2 wireless devices. then the customer will have to sign a checklist form to say that the equipment is installed and up n running BEFORE an engineer can sign a job as being completed.

ftth will only be available to the existing trial customers or customers that live in a ftth wired building.

eircom will not be installing ftth in existing buildings for a good while yet"

If this is correct and it seems pretty informed, you or I (fibre trial also) were and still are not capable of receiving 150mbs. I think there was 10e difference between 25, 50 and 125mbs plans when signing up. The point is you signed up for 125mb when that product was not available. Whilst 80mb speed is great, you could have signed up for 50mb and saved yourself a tenner a month. It's the false advertising/confusion that's annoying me.

Also, you're stuck now with eircom as I'd put money on vodafone, sky etc. only supporting FTTC for the foreseeable future. Although I think Magnet will provide broadband service to FTTH customers. Interestingly, their "fat pipe" product promises speeds up to 70mbs, which is consistent with the information quoted above.
    So they terminate the VDSL line at the NTU (first point in the house, in my case, near the front door), which makes sense as that will maximise the performance of the line, however has anyone any experience of the wireless capability and range on the new devices?
    I have an office in my garage (furthest poiint away from the NTU) and moved my DSL modem to a point at the back of the house.  I measured the performance of the dsl line at the NTU point and having moved it to the back of the house and there was no difference, the attenuation on the line was exactly the same (Im on a 12Mb services and can get 9-10M download speeds), however im now concerned as ive just ordered a fibre upgrade and if the only install the VDSL router at the font of the house, my office is going to be too far away to receive the wi-fi signal.......has anyone experienced the range on the new router? is it possible to bridge them or use extenders?

So was very excited when i ordered my upgrade, but now im quite concerned having read the last message.....!
    apprecaite any feedback........
    thanks

Advertisement