Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unhappy with architect

Options
  • 25-05-2013 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I am hoping someone can advise me please. We recently bought a new house (Dec 2012) and have been doing some extension / renovation work. We engaged an architect in Jan 2013 for planning and project management. We went with someone recommended by a colleague of mine. We were happy at first, but have been increasingly dissatisfied over the past 6 weeks or so. The work is in two main parts, part one planning exempt (single storey extension to rear 28 sqm), and part 2 requires PP (build over garage). He was so slow getting the plans for part 2 completed, that we proceeded with part 1 of work (on his advice) about 5 weeks ago, and PP application for part 2 has since gone in. We now have issues with this PP, i.e. observations from neighbours that, in hindsight, should have been anticipated by an experienced architect. Of course, there are multiple other things he has done to annoy us, but mostly of a small scale - like never answering phone calls from our numbers, not remembering (?ignoring) instructions from us etc. However, the FINAL STRAW came today. He advised us early on that an apex roof would be best on the extension to allow velux windows for ample light. He never went through other options or the pros and cons of different roof options with us. Moreover, he never told us that this design would severely obstruct the views from our rear upstairs bedrooms. On the plans, from the side, it looked like there would be some window obstruction, but the drawing of the rear of the house showed the roof line of the extension only going up about one quarter / one third of the bedroom windows, so we thought the view would be ok. And of course we never imagined an architect would plan to obstruct windows! Well the roof is now in place, and I went to look at it today. From the end of the garden, about three quarters of the rear upstairs windows are obstructed by the roof, clearly different from the drawing we were given. From the inside, at least half the rear upstairs windows are obstructed by the roof. Looking out these windows, all we can see are roof tiles, and the sky and tree tops. We can't see any of our garden, not even the rear of the garden, and none of the neighbours' gardens! It is appalling and incredible that an architect would design this. I can't understand how he would not have foreseen this problem, and why he did not inform us of it. If we knew this would be the "view", we would have told him to come up with another roof plan. We cannot live with this roof, and will have to ask him to have it changed. However, we don't feel that we should bear the whole cost, or any of the cots to be honest, as we feel this is an error on his behalf. Do we have any standing here? Can anyone advise how we should tackle the issue re who pays what for revising the roof? The current roof cost about 15000, so revising will be at least 10000 I guess. I am very upset about this and thanks in advance for any help / advice.

Comments

Advertisement