Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simon GE 3 control panel question

Options
  • 26-05-2013 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Hope someone might be able to help point me in the right direction on this one.
    I have just helped my brother setup an old Simon GE 3 box with a mixture of contact sensors, inertia sensors, PIR motions sensors and a couple of key-fobs.

Everything is working as it should, but we noticed one slightly annoy thing which I hope is just a simple setting that I have overlooked.
    If we set the alarm by typing in the code on the control panel, you hear the usual "system arming" followed by a couple of system beeps. Now I have managed to lower the volume of the voice announcement and also the system beeps there and that's fine.

The problems is, when you set the alarm using the key-fobs, you hear the same "system arming" followed by 2x very loud beeps from the panel, then a quieter beep.
    And again if you disarm the alarm with the key-fob the voice for "system disarmed" is nice and quiet, but then there is a really loud beep from the control panel.

This is more of an annoyance than a real problem, as my brother often works shift work, he doesn't want to arrive home at 2am and press the key-fob to disarm the perimeter alarm and then have the loud beep go off and wake up the kids :-/

I had a look through some manuals for this control unit and went through the options and I have tried the following:

Option 01: Panel Piezo Beeps = 1
    Option 42: Speaker Level = 3
    Option 55: Status Beep = 1

Didn't see any other options that looked like they were relevant, but maybe someone else knows better?

Also, I had initially put the key-fobs in group 01, but then I also tried them in group 03 to see if that might silence those crazy loud beeps but no joy.

As I said, arming/disarming using the code is fine, those volumes are just right so that you wouldn't wake the whole house, but when you try arming/disarming using the key fobs you had better cover the speaker to try and muffle the sound or else there will be some angry little people in the house if they were woken up at 2am or 3am.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

It is the arm squawk using the keyfob. Dont think there is a way to turn this off.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Eye

Okay thanks,

Was kinda hoping it could turned down if nothing else, like all the other voices/panel beeps etc.

Oh well :-/

Eye wrote: »
    Okay thanks,

Was kinda hoping it could turned down if nothing else, like all the other voices/panel beeps etc.

Oh well :-/

The reason for this is it is being set by a remote keyfob.
    Its aimed at indicating the system being set while at a distance from the control panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Colm_hand

Hi,

Can I start by telling you I'm not an alarm guru but I had a problem with my Simon 3 panel and turned off the beeps and as a result the voice when I use my key fob is now at a normal level. It might be worth a try.

To turn off the beeps, Open the cover and enter your code using the red numbered buttons inside there. It doesn't beep when you press buttons, so press them well. When you've done it right, it will tell you to choose from the Start Menu. Choose "DELETE". Then, from the Main Menu, choose "OPTION #". Then press DONE.

Best of luck,

Cheers,

Colm

Colm_hand wrote: »
    Hi,

Can I start by telling you I'm not an alarm guru but I had a problem with my Simon 3 panel and turned off the beeps and as a result the voice when I use my key fob is now at a normal level. It might be worth a try.

To turn off the beeps, Open the cover and enter your code using the red numbered buttons inside there. It doesn't beep when you press buttons, so press them well. When you've done it right, it will tell you to choose from the Start Menu. Choose "DELETE". Then, from the Main Menu, choose "OPTION #". Then press DONE.

Best of luck,

Cheers,

Colm

Hi Colm,

You have just deleted option 01 by following your instructions. All you are doing here is turning off the trouble beeps. This would be something I would only recommend as a temporary measure if the trouble beeps are annoying you while you are waiting for a repair of the system. I would turn this back on as the beeps are there for a reason.

Add, Option, 01, Done.

• Advertisement

Hi Altor,

Thanks for the advice, I just put the beeps back on. It's just a shame the beeps are so loud when you use the key fob now.

All the best,

Colm

The reason for this is, it is like a remote set using the fob so the beeps are an indication of the system setting. I would turn the trouble beeps back on also. With them off you have no way of knowing of any issue your having as the system is not warning you by omitting the beeps :)

Thanks for that. I have followed the steps in your last post (Add, Option, 01, Done), does that mean I've turned the troubled beeps back on?

Thanks again for your help,

Colm

Colm_hand wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I have followed the steps in your last post (Add, Option, 01, Done), does that mean I've turned the troubled beeps back on?

Thanks again for your help,

Colm

Yes you have.

Advertisement