Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice On Scope For .223

Options
  • 26-05-2013 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hey, looking for some advice on scopes. I just moved up from a CZ.22 and put a deposit on a .223 tikka t3. Want to shoot targets at 200/300m and am looking for a scope with mil dots that can handle these ranges. Any advice would be welcomed. Price range 400 max. Also any tips on ranges with these kind of distances. I'm currently a member of Courtlough & live in Kildare. Thanks shooters.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Post split out from Zeroed the t3 243 this evening thread as you will get a better response with your own thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

The only ranges with 200/300m is an riocht in kerry and the midlands in blueball offaly. It is E600 for the first year in the midlands but you can shoot out to 1200y.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭f100zardoz

I was down in harbour house last week shooting a few clays.They cater for .223. This seems like the best available option {And cheapest and closest}. Have you any advise on scopes with mil dot at for these ranges? Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Nice rifle lad I just got one myself you will love it. There is always midlands range. Bit of a drive but no sheds a Ross field or any of that. I put a hawke sidewinder on mine and I'm impressed. It's no top class scope but top class for the money. I can fault it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

There is no point in getting a .223 to shoot at HH it is only a 50m range all you will be doing is making noise and spending silly money on ammunition. If you are going to get a mildot reticle i would save a bit and get something with a first focal plane reticle otherwise you need to have it on a certain magnification for it to work which kind of defeats the whole purpose of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

f100zardoz wrote: »
    Hey, looking for some advice on scopes. I just moved up from a CZ.22 and put a deposit on a .223 tikka t3. Want to shoot targets at 200/300m and am looking for a scope with mil dots that can handle these ranges. Any advice would be welcomed. Price range 400 max. Also any tips on ranges with these kind of distances. I'm currently a member of Courtlough & live in Kildare. Thanks shooters.

Falcon menace 4-14x 42 ffp, mil/mil. Cheap scope, big on features. I have one on my .223 after having a nightforce on it and I can honestly say I'm glad I switched. Used the extra cash for other bits

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Ghost.

bravestar wrote: »
    Falcon menace 4-14x 42 ffp, mil/mil. Cheap scope, big on features. I have one on my .223 after having a nightforce on it and I can honestly say I'm glad I switched. Used the extra cash for other bits

Really, you rate a Falcon Menace against a Nightforce??? If the Falcon Menace is anywhere near as good as a Nightforce it must be one of the best, if not the best value scope available.

Ghost. wrote: »
    Really, you rate a Falcon Menace against a Nightforce??? If the Falcon Menace is anywhere near as good as a Nightforce it must be one of the best, if not the best value scope available.

I'm not saying the glass is as good as a nightforce, also the turrets suffer from a bit of mushyness ( which can be greatly improved by cleaning ). But I will say this, it's Ffp, it's mil/mil, it tracks perfectly, I love the ml16 reticle. The glass is not the best in the world, but for the price it simply cannot be beaten and I don't see much difference between it and my IOR. I can hit a 25cm steel gong at 600 meters no problem, if I miss, it's me and not the scope.

I don't need to see 30 cal holes at 1000 yards, I don't shoot bench rest. So for me, yes, it has turned out to be a better scope and to be honest, I think anyone who tries one will be very surprised by it.

I took a chance on it and I'm bloody glad I did. Got a nice tab RAS sling too, rear bag, new stock for my shotgun, a rake of ammo. And I still have money left over.

While I do like my high end scopes and Gucci gear, I think it's very easy to spend more on a scope than you actually need. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but with the way money is these days, ill stick with my falcon.

I'm actually going to sell my ior and get another one for my .22lr :)

That's the one I have and that's the price I paid. They will sort out the export licence for you, that's the only delay so once you fill in the forms and send them back it's clear sailing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Ghost.

I know what you mean. But if its any where near an IOR it must have got decent glass.
    I read some very good reviews about it on some US sites and they seem to be highly regarded over there. They sound like good value. The americans seem to put it up there with their mythical Super Sniper that always pops up when Im googleing scope reviews.

Thanks all for the help.

Ghost. wrote: »
    I know what you mean. But if its any where near an IOR it must have got decent glass.
    I read some very good reviews about it on some US sites and they seem to be highly regarded over there. They sound like good value. The americans seem to put it up there with their mythical Super Sniper that always pops up when Im googleing scope reviews.

Yea they do seem to pop up a lot alright, that's why I said feck it, I'll take the chance, seriously glad I did. For that little money you can't go wrong.

The only other critical points I can make are 1. The diopter focus can be turned a little too easily when a flip up cap is used and it rubs against my chest when slung and 2. When looking into a very dark area while you are in bright sunlight, it suffers.

Both things I can live with and neither would justify me spending huge amounts of extra cash.

As I was saying I bought a Tikka t3 and was looking for advise reviews on a decent scope {thanks for your help}. I am still waiting for my licence to come through so I went out to measure the diameter of the rings today only to be surprised that the present unwanted scope has a tube diameter of 25mm?!? Does this mean that I need to buy 30mm rings to take a new scope or is there a bit of play. I am presuming I need to buy new rings. Only hope they are compatible with the clamps.

Depends on what scope you decide to put on it if you have your heart set on a 30 mm tube then you will need to change the rings.
    Have you picked a scope yet.
    What type of rings and mounts are they.

Not sure of the brand but i thought as much re having to change the rings :(

http://www.courtlough.ie/guns/tikka-t3-super-varmint-stainless/

Optilock rings and bass's is what it looks like and what it says in the add. There prity good you should be able to pick something up just get optilock rings again or change the whole lot which ever you wish.

A wanted add in the for sale section might help. But to be honest I'd prob wait till you pick up your scope so you know what height rings and all you need.

Nice looking gun lad

Priced the 30mm optilock rings DAMN their expensive!

How much.

so far 90 too 100 euro. Crazy.

• Advertisement

They are pricey but some dealers will take the other rings in as a trade or you might sell them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

so far 90 too 100 euro. Crazy.

That's not bad, remember paying bout 135 euro for them once upon a time (rings and bases). :o

Also spending hundreds on a scope, hundreds on a rifle and then connecting them with cheap **** can lead to frustration when mounting/zeroing. Quality scope mounts make the whole process much more "enjoyable".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I have never liked Optiloc.

The rings are up to €100, and then the bases the same or more. So €200 plus for a ring that imo is no better than others of lesser cost. The way the rings attach to the bases has caused more hardship for some shooters. When on the range over the years i've seen many shooters baffled by the rifles lack of accuracy. When i strip the rings it turns out to be the screw that holds the rings onto the bases has come loose.

Also the way they have recoil lugs which limit the position on the rifle of the bases. Then there is the alignment issue when mounting the ring to the bases, and having the scope dead in line with the boreline. Frankly for €200 i can name at least 3 sets of rings & rail combos that would be better and much easier to mount.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

What are they.

Sorted. Falcon 5.5-25x56 ordered :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

Please do a review of the scope when you get it sighted in

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

If you bought the gun new get the dealer to get rings for you at a nice discounted price.

Warne rings can be had for 50-60quid. Not the sexiest but rock solid

'hdz

Good man. The two I have are still going strong. Make sure to clean out the grease inside the turrets when it arrives. It will improve the feel of the clicks hugely

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

Please give us a run down of it i am very close to getting the same one

• Advertisement

will do

Advertisement