Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long term car rental in the US?

Options
  • 26-05-2013 7:48am

I have a family member going to the US who will need a car for approximately 6 months. Is it best to do a long term rental or is purchase and resale after 6 months an option? What about insurance etc.? They won't be working there so won't have a US social security number, if it matters. Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

What state? The issue you may run into is that some states (Florida for example) consider you residents after 30 days and thus you would need a Florida license. But without legal status you won't be able to get a license. In Texas you can drive for 12 months before getting a state license.

I presume they are getting B visitors visas. I don't know if they are considered legal status for the purposes of getting a license.

Thanks. North Carolina and I think its a J1 or a J2 visa...

Not sure of NC rules but the state DMV website should have all the info.

J1 would be the primary visa holder, J2 the dependent (e.g. spouse or child). The J1 will get a SSN, the J2 will not upfront but if they get an EAD they will be able to get a SSN. Regardless they probably will be able to get licenses.

Thanks, thats a good lead. I'll look at the DMV sites. Can you clarify whats an EAD.? Is it feasible to buy and sell a car over that period or would they be better off renting?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Thanks, thats a good lead. I'll look at the DMV sites. Can you clarify whats an EAD.? Is it feasible to buy and sell a car over that period or would they be better off renting?

An EAd is a "Employment Authorization Document"

I don't think that you're going to get a full reply here as you're asking for something pretty specific (but who knows!)

Have you tried to do the work and get a quote for the main car hiring companies and then compare that to a random car on craigslist and compare ?

Budget looks like it'll be around $3500 for 6 months.

• Advertisement

Thanks, was hoping somebody had a similar experience. :) There may be hidden pitfalls with either option.

Ponster wrote: »
    An EAd is a "Employment Authorization Document

As Ponster said it's an EAD and J2 spouses are generally entitled to one. Takes 90 days to issue so might not be worthwhile in this case.

There may be hidden pitfalls with either option.

More so with buying a cheap car that'll be 15 years old and then working out the insurance rules rather then the long-term rental I think :)

Long-term rental is common, all the major companies offer it and generally the longer you rent the cheaper it is per day (sometimes doesn't apply depending on the type of car and the time of year). I don't see any risk associated with renting for 6 months than there would be renting for 6 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I seen someone on boards said they brought a car in alabama and apparently you don't need insurance at all in Alabama. It's probably a lot of south in the deep south believe in little government interference in daily life.

Have you looked up cars on craigslist. Some of them are very cheap. But becarefuk you don't buy a hurricane sandy car. There are people selling the hundreds of thousands of cars that got destroyed in the storm

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭The_Poznan

What state? The issue you may run into is that some states (Florida for example) consider you residents after 30 days and thus you would need a Florida license. But without legal status you won't be able to get a license. In Texas you can drive for 12 months before getting a state license.

I presume they are getting B visitors visas. I don't know if they are considered legal status for the purposes of getting a license.

hi lonestargirl

im heading to texas on grad J1 12 month visa at end june...u seem to know about the state. would i need to sit a test in texas or could i just convert my full irish licence or what would be the best bet? thanks

• Advertisement

The_Poznan wrote: »
    Could i just convert my full irish licence or what would be the best bet? thanks

I'm pretty sure that you need to resit the test in Texas and you'll get a "Limited Term" license as you're not a US resident.

Ponster wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that you need to resit the test in Texas and you'll get a "Limited Term" license as you're not a US resident.

Spot on Ponster. You have to do both a written and practical test in Texas. Both are fairly straightforward. Your license will expire with your visa but if your visa is renewed you can get a new license without resitting the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

hfallada wrote: »
    I seen someone on boards said they brought a car in alabama and apparently you don't need insurance at all in Alabama. It's probably a lot of south in the deep south believe in little government interference in daily life.

Rubbish. Car insurance is mandatory in all US states, even the Southern ones. The levels of minimum coverage varies from state to state, as do the penalties if you are caught driving an uninsured car, but it is still a legal requirement to have it.

US law enforcement officials take the lack of car insurance very, very seriously. There is none of the wink and a nod stuff that goes on in Ireland. For something as important as this, you should always consult the Dept of Transport and/or Dept of Motor Vehicles of the states in question. Don't rely on things that uniformed strangers may tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

I live in Charlotte North Carolina, you will get a licence that allows you only to drive rentals. I speak from experience when we got here we had a rental and we where in the country less than two weeks and decided to try out for our licence because we didn't own a car or have our own liability insurance (we did have the rental car insurance) you can only get a licence for rentals and it stipulates that. We were told if we got pulled over and we driving a non rental we would be in serious trouble.You need a certain amount of liability insurance when driving your own car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

hfallada wrote: »

Ouch. There's some really dangerous advice.

They are confused by the fact that its not required to prove you have insurance to the dealer before you drive away in your new car. In other words the car dealer has no duty to check you have insurance before handing you the keys. But you have to have it.

Hopefully they would remind you that its illegal to drive without it but they dont have to. Thats the lack of interference you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Ouch. There's some really dangerous advice.

They are confused by the fact that its not required to prove you have insurance to the dealer before you drive away in your new car. In other words the car dealer has no duty to check you have insurance before handing you the keys. But you have to have it.

Hopefully they would remind you that its illegal to drive without it but they dont have to. Thats the lack of interference you're talking about.

We had to prove we had our insurance when we bought our new car but then again we where putting a certain amount down and financing the remainder so it was in the dealerships interest and its the law in NC!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Aprilmay wrote: »
    We had to prove we had our insurance when we bought our new car but then again we where putting a certain amount down and financing the remainder so it was in the dealerships interest and its the law in NC!

Well yes, if you are using the car as collateral on a loan then the loan company would want to know its investment is protected

But I believe thats more of a matter between you and the loan company (that the dealership would be a middleman for.).

Although I could be wrong!

Advertisement