Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to mycharity.ie

Options
  • 26-05-2013 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Can anyone recommend an alternative to mycharity.ie for online fundraising???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bigbarginhunter

Idonate.ie is what I used when I done a skydive last year. Found it very good & you can link it with Facebook aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 carls_runs

Thanks, Ill have a look at what fees they are charging charities...hopefully they dont have the same €600 listing fee as mycharity!!! #ripoff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Thanks for that!

I'd never realised that some of the charity donation sites charged the charities a fee - I know (naive :o) ...there's no such thing as a free lunch.

This from the idonate.ie website:
    "Q: What charges do Charities Pay?
    We do not charge any setup fee or ongoing monthly fees to Charities & NFP who use our services. We take a small commission on donations made online. This is to cover Credit Card charges, VAT and running costs."

I can't find a similar statement on mycharity.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

They are all businesses for
    Profit. They all charge in one way or another. "running fees" is a charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Swampy wrote: »
    They are all businesses for
    Profit. They all charge in one way or another. "running fees" is a charge.
    I know.;) ....as I said ....naive.:o
    However I would like to see such providers being upfront with their charges.

Oth, these providers give an awful lot more over to the charities involved than do the on-street private collectors (as opposed to the direct charity collectors/volunteers) - the professional collection agencies only give approx. 20% to the charity involved.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I've done a bit of fund-raising for the Irish Cancer Society over the last few years (Cork marathon for the last 3 years & Comrades this year) & in fact they told me to use mycharity.ie but don't think the other one was on the scene at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Paypal have a 3% charity rate, ya need an official headed letter from the charity for them to approve it though. You could just email people the PayPal address then. Obviously not as official as the likes of my charity etc, but certainly cheaper. I actually used this for online race entry afew yrs ago, alongside a googledocs form.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

I have no connection whatsoever with mycharity.ie (or any other similar site) however I have raised money using it. From my understanding of a number of charities, they recognise that pretty much all fundraising comes with a cost. I understand that they look at the ratio of costs to funds raised as much lower with the online sites such as mycharity.ie than their other fund raising channels - certainly a lot more cost effective than on street paid collectors. At the same time, the online sites require only a fraction of the administration for the charity.

From my experience of using mycharity.ie, due to it's ease of use, both for the fund raiser and the donor, I way exceeded my fund raising expectations. There was the added advantage that I didn't have a bag full of small denomination notes and coins in my drawer.

PS My chosen charity which was the Alzheimers Society which I am happy to give an unashamed plug to.

(Mods, feel free to delete that last sentence if inappropriate)

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

FWIW I work for a major charity and we are fine with people using MyCharity.ie. To be honest, when we process a credit card donation directly ourselves, when you add up all the bank charges, credit card processing fees and so on, it's no better than just letting MyCharity do it and lodge money in a lump sum to our bank account each month.

We also recognise that it can be very convenient for our supporters as a way to gather cash, so we do regularly point them to MyCharity.

We don't use paid street collectors, by the way.

Advertisement