Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for food for christening

Options
  • 26-05-2013 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Hi ,
    I need some help in planning my sons christening! It's on in 3 weeks and we will have 20 adults and 9 children coming back to our house. I'm trying to decide on whether to do hot or cold food. If we do hot food I was going to make a Thai red curry or a beef stroganoff with rice, baked potatoes etc. if we ska salad I wild da range of cold meats but I haven't a clue what salads to do? Any advice on cold v hot food etc? Being able to prep as much as possible the night and morning before is important. Any ideas? Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Sang-wiches

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If you do a search, you will find dozens of threads on the exact same topic.

I was at a christening recently, they did a nice veg or chicken curry and pitta pockets.......was quite nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭INEEDANID

A good spicy Vindaloo that will burn the arse of ya :)

INEEDANID wrote: »
    A good spicy Vindaloo that will burn the arse of ya :)

yeah, that'll get rid of those annoying relatives in jig time.:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Faith wrote: »
    If you do a search, you will find dozens of threads on the exact same topic.

I did look and found 4 threads, none if which were helpful. Thanks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I think anything that can be made in a big pot and pre made well before hand, like curry, chilli and sweet & sour etc. will make your life much easier on the day.

Rice can be done well before hand too.

A BBQ would be lovely as well but a bit more work but you could make things easier by pre cooking most of the food and just reheat it on the BBQ, would still taste lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Agree with Fred Funk, stuff that can be prepared the day before and be reheated easily would be best.
    With the weather we're having lately I'd have at least one hot dish ready to go! I like your curry or stroganoff idea, here's another few suggestions.
    I always to homemade chicken (or turkey) goujons for big gatherings, just trim the chicken and cut into finger-sized strips, coat in about 2 tblsp flour seasoned with 1tsp Cajun seasoning powder (this is enough for about 4 chicken breasts), dip in 1-2 beaten eggs, coat with breadcrumbs, lay on greased baking sheets or a reusable tin liner and bake for about 20 minutes at 200 Celsius, turning once. Serve with salad and dips such as Cajun mayo, ketchup etc. The goujons are quite nice cold but are lovely and crispy when reheated in the oven.
    I also do pieces of bacon (from Lidl or Aldi!) marinated in 1 tblsp honey, 2 tsp English or wholegrain mustard (I prefer English to wholegrain as the wholegrain sometimes burns), a dash of Lea and Perrins, a dash of Irish Whiskey, 1-2 teaspoons sunflower oil and a little white pepper (this is enough for 2 pieces of bacon); score the fat of the bacon in a criss-cross pattern then rub the marinade on the top and sides of the bacon, then preheat oven to 200 Celsius and bake for 45 mins to 1 hour. This is lovely hot, perfect when reheated, but especially good cold and cut into fairly thin slices.
    Chicken vol au vents always go down well too, the creamy white sauce can be made the day before but wait until reheating to add cream and chicken.
    Baked potatoes are great for parties like this, and reheat really well, could offer a choice of toppings or serve with Chilli Con Carne.
    2 or 3 choices is loads, buffet style, with a couple of simple salads (definitely coleslaw and potato salad!). A nice big bowl of Greek salad always goes down well too.

Advertisement