Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top things to see and do in Moscow

• 26-05-2013 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭

Going to Moscow for 10 days in August. Sounds like a lot of time but will be there for the World Athletics Championships and will be working in the media for it so my tourist time is less than it would otherwise be. It looks like an incredible city and I realise I can't see everything but from reading Lonely Planet and the UNESCO World Heritage List I have come up with 11 must see things:

1) Kremlin - UNESCO
    2) Red Square - UNESCO
    3) Kitay Gorod walk
    4) Novodevichy Convent & Cemetery - UNESCO
    5) Cathedral of Christ the Saviour
    6) Old Arbat Walk
    7) Kolomenskoe - UNESCO
    8) Izmailova Market area
    9) Banya at Sandunny Baths
    10) Moscow metro
    11) Trinity Monastery of St Sergei - Sergiev Posad - UNESCO

If I was to see all the above during my time there would I be covering most of the best of what Moscow offers? Or is there somewhere that I am leaving out that simply cannot be missed?

I'm not interested in museums and art gallaries. More into architecture and culture.

Being tight for time, Sergiev Posad is the only day trip I can realistically do. The other places like Suzdal are just too far away.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Bolshoi Theatre (Cool architecture from the early 1800's, and if you time it right, you might see a performance).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Black Swan wrote: »
    Bolshoi Theatre (Cool architecture from the early 1800's, and if you time it right, you might see a performance).

Yeh I have the Bolshoi as the starting point of the Kitay Gorod walk. With the athletics being on every night it doubtful I'd get to a show, unless they do afternoon shows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

There are a couple of museums in and around the red square - the big armoury and other smaller museums as well as St Basil's Cathedral.
    You'll find one to your right as you walk onto the red square facing the Cathedral. There's usually two guys dressed in traditional guard clothes standing around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭roman0red

En route to Moscow today - decided to check boards last minute and came across your post - thanks for tips. I've been told Gum & tsum are worth checking out also - biggest, most ostentatious shopping mall in Moscow with prices only the Russian oligarchs could pay!!�� Architecturally beautiful I believe

Will update when I get back if I come across anything nice

EG

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DaveyCakes

Museum of the Great Patriotic War. (I know you said no museums.....)

• Advertisement
Advertisement