Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health care in Ireland

Options
  • 26-05-2013 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi there,

I just moved to Ireland a month ago and now that things are settled I'm gonna bring my wife and 4 month child to live with me.

I already applied for a health insurance (vhi if it matters) for her through a work scheme, and just would like to know some tips on the basics here, like how can I get her a family doctor, where to go when she's sick, stuff like that...

Thanks in advance,
    Ygor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Ask some of your neighbours to recommend a GP and then register with one .

Depending on the area that you live there is an out of hours service eg D Doc or K Doc

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ygorcardoso

foodaholic wrote: »
    Ask some of your neighbours to recommend a GP and then register with one .

Depending on the area that you live there is an out of hours service eg D Doc or K Doc

Thanks! I do not know my neighbors yet, that's way I asked here. If any one knows some GP around Santry area, also feel free to tell me!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I used the yellow pages to find them locally then went to one was unhappy and found another that I was happy with.
    I have to admit I only thought of one when I needed them.
    It costs about 50-60 euro for a gp visit here and depending on your VHI cover you might be able to claim some of it back.
    A gp (doctor) is your 1st port of call when sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

http://www.gpnow.ie/

This service is quite new to Dublin but is really a great idea especially if you have small children. Swords is quite near to Santry (as long as you have a car) so it's something for you to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Also ring you local HSE office and register with the local Public health nurse, they look after developmental checks until the child goes in to school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 ygorcardoso

Thank you everyone, nice tips!

A colleague from work who also has a little girl recommended VHI Clinic in Swords, he said they are very good: https://www.vhi.ie/jsp/swiftcare_clinic.jsp?clinic=swords

Advertisement