Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Browser?

Options
  • 26-05-2013 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭

Been using Chrome a while now but I find that I keep having to clear out the cache as it's slow to load the first page on start-up. Seems to be a common problem.

Anyway with that in mind I was wondering what browsers people find the best.

What browser do you use? 141 votes

IE
    0% 0 votes
    Firefox
    3% 5 votes
    Chrome
    31% 45 votes
    Safari
    56% 79 votes
    Opera
    2% 3 votes
    Other? - please specify in thres
    6% 9 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

They all have their shortcomings. I continue to use FF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

I use Firefox with Linux (and Vista on the rare occasions i use it) and also Chrome / Chromium.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Chrome for PC
    Chrome for Android
    Chrome for iOS too..

I don't have the cache problem on Chrome. I haven't really had any problems actually since I started using it in 2008.

Sometimes, I use Opera or IE 10 on Windows 8, I can't stand IE8 or 9 though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Firefox for me too, never liked Chrome when I used it so kept coming back to Firefox

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Opera, FF and IE, for different purposes. Multi-choice poll needed !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

used Internet Explorer since the beginning, started using Firefox as well about 3 years back, finally stopped using Internet Explorer about 6 months back.

The amount of times i came close to ripping the monitor off the desk becuase of Internet Explorer down the years is unreal. Embarassed to tell people I used IE for so long. I bet the programmers at Microsoft even use FireFox.

Chrome, i always found it took too long for a browser to start. FireFox is a dream, not once has it crashed or thrown a message in front of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I change between Firefox and Chromium a lot, currently using Chromium but I voted Firefox because I've been using it for years. Great browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

Firefox for me.
    I like the simplicty of its addons

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

149768_268511123239836_261355607288721_587411_1489757150_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

Maxthon for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Sin City wrote: »

chrome-firefox-ie_w_500.jpg

Don't want to post too many pics so: Another one

• Registered Users Posts: 20 LKTechGuy

I use Chrome at home, forced to use Firefox at college but it's not so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Chrome on my home laptop, home desktop, work laptop and Android mobile. Never had any real reason to change since first trying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

I recently moved to Opera as the new Firefox's Plugin-Container was using too much CPU (stressing my poor crappy Celeron) resulting in choppy scrolling and such.

Opera is quicker but seems to use more memory, 300MB compared to Firefox's 100MB average, this isn't an issue though just something I noticed in the system monitor. Very happy with it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

I use Firefox, mostly. Always ran far quicker and smoother on my laptop compared to Google Chrome and Internet Explorer.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dubwat

Firefox for me.
    - Doesn't take up too much real estate.
    - 'Fastdial' for my home page and 'feedly' for my rss feeds.

Tried Chrome and Opera. Not saying they were bad but they didn't suit me. I was surprised by Chrome because some people swear by it but it didn't do anything for me...

Never tried IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭flutered

i use the prehistoric sea monkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Wish the Netscape Navigator name would make a comeback! That was a classic browser

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I hate that firefox won't set home on a new tab. How is this progress? IE does.

I hate that chrome won't clear cache on exit. How is this modern? IE does.

I use IE because it browses without all the attendant whinging FF and chrome do. I'm not interested in which is the trendy browser, I merely want one that'll do what I want. Bizarrely, the so-called "modern" browser fails to do what the "archaic" one can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

mitosis wrote: »
    I hate that firefox won't set home on a new tab. How is this progress? IE does.

I hate that chrome won't clear cache on exit. How is this modern? IE does.

I use IE because it browses without all the attendant whinging FF and chrome do. I'm not interested in which is the trendy browser, I merely want one that'll do what I want. Bizarrely, the so-called "modern" browser fails to do what the "archaic" one can.

Naming two things that IE does better than Chrome or Firefox doesn't mean that it isn't still terrible. How many activities could one name that Chrome or Firefox can do that Internet Explorer can't?

Whatever your prefer, though. Not going to get into a debate about Internet browsers of all things. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,314 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I fancy the way Chrome syncs your browsing across devices in a scary type of way, but its not enough to get me to switch off Firefox. Addons seem to work better in FF. I'll jump into IE sometimes for the better hardware acceleration, task-dependently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I use Waterfox the 64 bit version of Firefox, I use Chrome now and again but I'm not a fan of it, as for IE enough said the better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Firefox for me, and Safari on the iPhone. Google are hell bent on Global IT domination so I boycott as much of their products as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

mitosis wrote: »
    I hate that firefox won't set home on a new tab.

New Tab Homepage

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Palemoon for pc and mostly opera for android

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

mitosis wrote:
    I use IE because it browses without all the attendant whinging FF and chrome do.
    Very nice..... So Do I!!!!!

Im very big on privacy and I am very grateful/thankfull I have IE6 on here as I feel IE6 is the last version of IE that DOESNT SPY ON THE END USER TO MICROSOFT!! (Which might explain why M$ wants ppl on the newer IE's so bad)

I mostly browse with MyIE2 however but TECHINALLY im using IE as MyIE2 is just an IE wrapper.. (THE BEST ONE I HAVE EVER HAD)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Naming two things that IE does better than Chrome or Firefox doesn't mean that it isn't still terrible. How many activities could one name that Chrome or Firefox can do that Internet Explorer can't?

Whatever your prefer, though. Not going to get into a debate about Internet browsers of all things. :o

Thanks for contributing, so :) I am not pulling two things IE does better, they are two things very important for me - I am on a shared computer very often for one.

I do online banking with BoI, for my sins, another thing chrome and FF don't seem to do. I know it's BoI's fault, but this doesn't lessen the inconvenience of the browsers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

The new versions of IE are actually very decent, since IE9 the browser has improved enormously, it is only lacking extensions which is why I use Firefox. Security is not really an issue with the new versions either. The problem with IE in the past was that people never updated it, and some companies required old versions (IE6) that had known issues for certain web apps.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I use Chromium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I primarily use Opera, have done since the introduction of the sync ability a couple of years ago, especially to mobile devices which was handy. I can't quite put my finger on it but I keep coming back to Opera even though other browsers can now do all the things that first brought me to Opera, any time I try to chance I find some little annoyance that drives me back.

Advertisement