Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer draft legends discussion thread

• 26-05-2013 1:54pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We have had drafts before on the soccer board, be they prem drafts or for World cups / European championships. In those drafts the only players eligible to draft onto a team you were picking were those currently eligible for said competition. Therein lies the difference this time where any player from any team ever is a ok to be drafted.

Fancy combining Messi & Maradona in attack on the same side or putting together Viera & Roy Keane in midfield for the laugh to face a team who have reunited Baresi & Maldini alongside Chopper harris & Cafu...then heres your chance

I'm in

and so are the next 15 people to reply saying the same (note if you reply and dont state your in during the post you wont be considerd entered in the competition unless you post again).

this thread can serve as the discussion thread once another has been opened for the draft picks (and perhaps later matches) and until we start we can also nail down any rules or parts of a soccer draft people think warrant a discussion. O and although I just named a load in this OP from now on try and not name potential picks before they go, dont want to go giving pickers ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

I'm in! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'm in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

In!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

In there like swimwear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

In!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

In

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

In

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Bounty Hunter
    redzerdrog
    eugeneious
    Knex.
    Morzadec
    Reganio 2
    Copper_pipe
    Blatter

8 places left and a whole load of draft regulars already involved which I guess should help with rules.

I'm thinking a random draft order picked every 2 rounds with the following round being a reversal of that round.

So as to ensure safe draws too maybe have something like whoever drafts no.10 in the 2nd rd also posts up the next rounds draw when they make their pick. That way no one person controls the draws and we always have advance notice of when we will be picking with an early draw before each new round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I'll toss my name into the hat. (I.E. I'm in)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Great idea, no real interest in taking part but I love following how others' teams pan out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Actually take me out, I won't have the time. Apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I'm in

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Actually take me out, I won't have the time. Apologies.

no worries man

Bounty Hunter
    redzerdrog
    eugeneious
    Knex.
    Morzadec
    Copper_pipe
    Blatter
    G.K
    Eli Manning

7 places left atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Suppose so, i.e. in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

In

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Looking forward to seeing the teams,the last draft was very interesting.
    I'm not in just commenting

Bounty Hunter
    redzerdrog
    eugeneious
    Knex.
    Morzadec
    Copper_pipe
    Blatter
    G.K
    Eli Manning
    Liam O
    whatawaster

5 spots remain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

In.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'll give it a shot, I'm in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

In
    Edit: always enjoy these. The quality of teams in this should be unreal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I'm in .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

In

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

In

EDIT: Just noticed I've missed the boat. First reserve it is so

Bounty Hunter
    redzerdrog
    eugeneious
    Knex.
    Morzadec
    Copper_pipe
    Blatter
    G.K
    Eli Manning
    Liam O
    whatawaster
    Moneymaker
    Bucketybuck
    IncognitoMan
    Jax Teller
    Trippie

edit: ITT-Pat (first backup)

by my count thats all 16. If anyone wants to put there name as a backup incase someone pulls out nows the time. I will wait until tommorow before making the first draw using an online random list generator but for now is there any rules people think we need to consider implementing

I'm thinking a random draft order picked every 2 rounds with the following round being a reversal of that round.

So as to ensure safe draws too maybe have something like whoever drafts no.10 in the 2nd rd also posts up the next rounds draw when they make their pick. That way no one person controls the draws and we always have advance notice of when we will be picking with an early draw before each new round.

usually there are rules along the lines of only being able to draft x amount of players from 1 team and no 2 players from the one team being able to be drafted in a row but why restrict things here, if someone wants to put together a Utd legends team to face off against an all star XI thats up to them.

players will be considerd as good as they were at their prime when picked.

everyone has 24hrs to pick but we would hope for a far better turnover between picks than that and if you know you are not going to be around when it will be your pick then i'd suggest pming you pick to the person after you or someone else online at the time

Anything else we need to focus on before we start?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Will players still playing be based on current ability or ability at their peak?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Please change the "give a reason for your vote" rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I'll be moving on Thursday and while it shouldn't be a problem there's a chance that it could be and if I'm taking a place that could be filled by someone else then I'll drop out and let Pat take my place. Will be more fun reading them if I'm not involved too I think. So I respectfully drop out.

I would agree with the getting rid of the reason for your vote rule too, it's not like it's ever really abused, maybe do something like you have to have over 500 posts for it to count or something though that would be harder to police.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

There's no harm restricting the vote to those who post giving their reasons why. If you vote for one team over another you should have solid reasons for doing so. One team may contain more unpopular or perhaps a little lesser-known players and they shouldn't be punished for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

I'l be second backup

• Advertisement

ok Liam O has graciously dropped out to allow pat in so here is the new list with Yurt as 1st backup and Liam if he wants to be can be 2nd as im sure a 2nd backup shouldnt be needed until after thursday

Bounty Hunter
    redzerdrog
    eugeneious
    Knex.
    Morzadec
    Copper_pipe
    Blatter
    G.K
    Eli Manning
    ITT-Pat
    whatawaster
    Moneymaker
    Bucketybuck
    IncognitoMan
    Jax Teller
    Trippie

with regards rule quesstions raised:

current players will still be picked at their peak as imo it wouldnt be fair to only be able to pick Giggs as he is now (still good of course) as appose d to Giggs from a few years back for example.

With regards the voting one I think ill make a compromise between the two ways suggested. Not only those with reasoning will have their votes counted but in the event of a tie only those with reasoning behind them will count. Therefore we will avoid situations where someone with a higher vote count loses but also have a fair tie breaking system.

Unless anyone has any other rules they want to suggest or change ill throw up the first round draw and picks thread later today

via random.org
    There were 16 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

Jax Teller
    Bounty Hunter
    IncognitoMan
    Morzadec
    G.K
    Copper_pipe
    Blatter
    Moneymaker
    Bucketybuck
    Knex.
    ITT-Pat
    redzerdrog
    eugeneious
    Eli Manning
    whatawaster
    Trippie

Timestamp: 2013-05-27 12:15:43 UTC

If enough people think im a big cheating ba$tard to have gotten no.2 ill happily do the random draw again but for now Jax will start us off once the other thread is opened - Blatter is next up to make a draw using random.org or something similar as he will be no.10 in rd2 the reversal of this round.

Just to be clear I can pick whoever I like from any era of football ?

yep no restriction in this draft.

will mean no stip rounds but dang the quality should be high especially with only 16 teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

I did not see that No 1 pick coming I must say.

Didn't pick Messi as I didn't want to be tied down to a specific formation or way of playing . We'll see how it goes .

• Advertisement

ha neither did I though he is a legend. Jax pmd me actually, I forgot to mention it on here before but if people could try and do this for each person after them we would move at a faster pace.

Had a feeling G.K would take Cryuff for some reason.

This is actually harder than I thought it would be outside of the top 6 picks or so.

Knex. wrote: »
    Had a feeling G.K would take Cryuff for some reason.

This is actually harder than I thought it would be outside of the top 6 picks or so.

I think the first 20 or so picks will be obvious and then it depends on how you weigh positions. I know I'll need to get in early with one or two positions as the quality will really dip in the latter parts the draft.

I think the first 20 or so picks will be obvious and then it depends on how you weigh positions. I know I'll need to get in early with one or two positions as the quality will really dip in the latter parts the draft.

I suppose. However, I have one or two players in mind that I want for 1st pick as they will really help me set about the way I want to set up. After those two players though the quality dips if I was to go about getting a similar style replacement.

Probably mean I'd just go after a different type of player in order to not dilute the quality of the pick.

Madness saying that considering we can pick from anyone, at anytime :D

Round 1:
    Pick|Player|User
    1|Ronaldo|JaxTeller
    2|Lionel Messi|Bounty Hunter
    3|Cristiano Ronaldo|Incognito Man
    4|Diego Maradona|Morzadec
    5|Johan Cruyff|G.K.

I'll update as we go along as it's much easier if you can see who has been taken so far.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Can i throw my name down as backup.

sure, at least yurt is ahead of you atm though but your now on the list Mr Seaneh

Flabbergasted it took 6 picks for Pele to be taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Moneymaker wrote: »

not at all.

the amount of us who would've seen him play is very, very small.

while he is, from what everyone says, one of the best, if not THE best, ever...IMO, it's not as fun to pick people who you haven't really seen play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

SlickRic wrote: »
    not at all.

the amount of us who would've seen him play is very, very small.

while he is, from what everyone says, one of the best, if not THE best, ever...IMO, it's not as fun to pick people who you haven't really seen play.

Everyone's gonna have to pick on reputation to some extent though.

A team with players like Pele is going to look a lot better to voters than a team full of modern players just below the elite level.

Not because they've seen him play and know he's the best, but because they've grown up being told he was the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Moneymaker wrote: »

This. Thought he would be 1st off the board.

Well pleased to get Di Stefano. Didn't think I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Maradona a steal at 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I really, really wanted to go for Beckenbaur for my first pick, I think he would be the perfect counter to the teams ahead of me with the likes of Messi and Maradona.

But to be honest, these teams need the star attacking players to win the votes, so I went with Best instead. Hardly a bad choice though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I wanted Beckenbauer as my 2nd but then, I knew it'd never happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement