Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer draft legends discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Considered Hansen myself before going with Terry a round or two back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

And Pep.

But I don't see why your statement should cause me offense?

I love how G.K. endorsed my RB, Santos, in his post. Cheers :D

Latest_Draft_Grid.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

There are so many players that deserve to be in them teams ahead of a lot of the names there. Looking at some of them and calling them the top 176 players to have ever played is depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

^^
    Its a matter of opinion though isn't it

Think formation has a lot to do with it too. Can think of many players myself, but when you look at some teams and how they will line out, it can be hard to peg them in.

With the quality being so high, a solid formation with players in correct positions is going to be crucial.

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    ^^
    Its a matter of opinion though isn't it
    For a start too many of the names are picked based on other peoples opinions. A lot of the names are being picked by people who have never seen them play. How can they have an opinion of a player they haven't seen play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Quazzie wrote: »
    For a start too many of the names are picked based on other peoples opinions. A lot of the names are being picked by people who have never seen them play. How can they have an opinion of a player they haven't seen play?

I think you answered your own question there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

G.K. wrote: »
    And Pep.

But I don't see why your statement should cause me offense?

Good point, figure of speech more than anything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Yes but isn't that always going to be the problem with a legends draft,I mean we have players here who were in their prime dating back as far as 1953,its gonna be a small minority who'll have seen some of these players play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Felexicon wrote: »
    Yeah but saying he's better than Shevchenko is a bold statement. Great player at this stage though

I am a huge Milan fan and was in awe in sheva in his day. I do think eto'o is a better player though.

I also think he will struggle in that formation

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Nearly all of englands hyped up golden generation that ultimately made it to a few quarter finals making it onto this draft just shows the success of sky sports marketing team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Nearly all of englands hyped up golden generation that ultimately made it to a few quarter finals making it onto this draft just shows the success of sky sports marketing team.

or the success of English teams in the Champions League for a number of years.

i have no problem with Lampard and Gerrard going for instance, at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Hansen and Sol Campbell were not good enough to have a place in this draft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hansen definitely was.

Calm and technically gifted presence on a team that won three out of four European Cup Finals; eight league titles and six domestic cups.

Criminally underused by Scotland.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Hansen definitely was.
    26 international appearances suggests otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Ha!

He was the a key member of the Liverpool team that won 3 European cups, 8 League titles and 6 domestic cups.

Yeah dude, Scotland was brilliantly managed during the 80's and the opinion of those managers is the most relevant indicator.

Hansen was a stand out ever present on a Liverpool side that was the best in Europe for an extended period.

So he wasn't selected by a Scotland team that won nothing, but was the heart of the defense of a Liverpool team that won everything. Think maybe Scotland got it wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Whatawaster it's your pick again I think . Just incase you weren't informed .

So he wasn't selected by a Scotland team that won nothing, but was the heart of the defense of a Liverpool team that won everything. Think maybe Scotland got it wrong?
    He's massively over hyped by Liverpool fans imo.

By the way, did you have to hand in your scouser card after picking G Nev at right back?

Can anyone explain to me why Didi was picked or am I thinking of a different player?

Jax Teller wrote: »
    Whatawaster it's your pick again I think . Just incase you weren't informed .

I picked twice last night so don't think it's back to me yet

By the way, did you have to hand in your scouser card after picking G Nev at right back?

Ah right, I see what your opinion is based on.

Was that Liverpool team massively over hyped too? Because he was one of the most important players on it during the period they went to three European Cup finals in a row. So, eh, if he's massively over hyped what does it say about European football during that time period?

I'm not Scouse.

It's not whatawaster's pick, it's redzer's.

Can anyone explain to me why Didi was picked or am I thinking of a different player?

Are you thinking of this guy?

I picked twice last night so don't think it's back to me yet
    G.K. wrote: »
    It's not whatawaster's pick, it's redzer's.

My mistake read the order wrong .

• Advertisement

Ah right, I see what your opinion is based on.

Was that Liverpool team massively over hyped too? Because he was one of the most important players on it during the period they went to three European Cup finals in a row. So, eh, if he's massively over hyped what does it say about European football during that time period?
    Chill out Lloyd. I never mentioned anything about Liverpools achievements over that period. It's quite obvious they were dominant and had a quality side.
    But IT IS MY OPINION that Hansen was not good enough to be considered for this draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

SlickRic wrote: »
    or the success of English teams in the Champions League for a number of years.

i have no problem with Lampard and Gerrard going for instance, at all.

Id defo have no problem with scholes and gerrard and you could make a case for one or two others but at last count there was 8 of them picked. Very surprised there hasnt been one player picked from another golden generation I can think of.

Chill out Lloyd. I never mentioned anything about Liverpools achievements over that period. It's quite obvious they were dominant and had a quality side.
    But IT IS MY OPINION that Hansen was not good enough to be considered for this draft.

And from watching footage from that period it's also quite obvious that he was a quality player and one of the key parts of that side.

Yeah it's your opinion, so what. I'm pointing out why it's incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Sol Campbell overshadowed John Terry at a world cup and European championship, at his prime he was twice the defender Terry was. If Campbell is not good enough then there are a few picks that deserve to be there even less.

And from watching footage from that period it's also quite obvious that he was a quality player and one of the key parts of that side.

Yeah it's your opinion, so what. I'm pointing out why it's incorrect.
    Opinions can't be wrong they can only be disagreed with

Sol Campbell overshadowed John Terry at a world cup and European championship, at his prime he was twice the defender Terry was. If Campbell is not good enough then there are a few picks that deserve to be there even less.

I don't know about that at all.

• Advertisement

Opinions can't be wrong they can only be disagreed with

it is my opinion that Santa Claus exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't know about that at all.

Don't forget, he was a lynchpin in the Arsenal side that went unbeaten all season, then did it against the best in the world, named on the 2002 World cup allstar team and then again on the Euro 2004 allstar team. From 2000 to 2005 he could make a strong case to be the best CB in world.

Think people are letting there dislike of Terry, plus his current form sway their opinion.

For 3 to 4 years, Terry was the best defender on the planet in my eyes. His
    individual awards are staggering for a defender as well:

PFA Player of the Year: 2004–05
    FIFA World Cup Team of the Tournament: 2006
    FIFPro World XI: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
    UEFA Club Football Awards Best Defender: 2005, 2008, 2009[132]
    UEFA Team of the Year: 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009
    Chelsea Player of the Year: 2001, 2006

He may be part of an English team that was hyped by their own media, but it is clear his talent was recognised across Europe. He'll be remembered as one of the best CBs ever in the English game and is probably Chelsea's second best ever player, behind Frank Lampard.

Campbell was a fantastic athlete and was great for Spurs/Arsenal and England, but I don't think he ever reached the same heights as Terry. Terry really is an elite defender, like it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Hummels is a far worse selection than Campbell, Terry or Hansen.

Which World Cup ? Terry wasn't in the England set up in 2002 & Campbell was 3rd choice behind Rio & Terry in 2006 ?

Terry wasn't even fully fit for Euro 2004 he even missed the first group game against France.

• Advertisement

John Terry will never get his fair dues because of his character.

definitely an elite defender though, no question about that, at all.

one of the best protectors of the front post I've seen.

Hummels is a far worse selection than Campbell, Terry or Hansen.
    Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Agreed

Not as bad as Roberts Carlos in the 2nd round though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Trippie wrote: »
    Not as bad as Roberts Carlos in the 2nd round though

agreed.

tbh after the response i'd probably take someone else instead of him (not Carlos) now considering you guys will also be voting. Thats not how drafts generally work though you dont get to redraft if you change your mind and I still think Mats will make a good foil for B.Moore in a solid defence that also has N.Santos & Zambrotta in the wing back positions ahead of Gordon Banks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

I'm not Scouse.

Or me and Hansen was top class, it shouldn't even be up for debate

The fact hummels went before Hansen, Campbell and costacurta is criminal.

The whole thing started off on the wrong foot when C Ronaldo was taken ahead of Maradona and Cruyff imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

The whole thing started off on the wrong foot when C Ronaldo was taken ahead of Maradona and Cruyff imo

Nah, Ronaldo is the dominant player of this era along with Messi. Absolute machines who have rewritten the history books when it comes to scoring goals from a non-conventional forward position. Maradona should probably go ahead of him but it's no big deal, Ronaldo isn't that far away from him to make it a crazy choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

It's not like I picked peter crouch up first.

If you think C. Ronaldo going before Maradona was wrong what do you think of Brazil Ronaldo going 1st?

Brazilian Ronaldo was one of the best strikers there ever was . Imo he would have went on to be hailed as the greatest football ever had he not suffered horrible injuries .

Record goalscorer in World Cup History .
    Say what you want about him he knew where the goal was .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I'm not having a go at the pick. Just find it strange that Cristiano was picked out as a bad pick before Maradona and not him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement