Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer draft legends discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I'm not having a go at the pick. Just find it strange that Cristiano was picked out as a bad pick before Maradona and not him.

I rate Ronaldo higher than Ronaldo that's all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Ronaldo is possibly the greatest player ever. Cristiano Ronaldo is probably amongst the greatest players ever. There is a difference, although not much of one.

Brazilian Ronaldo would be my first pick. There will never be another player like him. Ronaldo, Messi and Maradona are my top three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Em Camacho is taken already .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Well I think C. Ronaldo is in the top tier and holds his own against the greatest. Messi would have been my 1st choice but after that I'm quite happy to take Cristiano.

Just down to my keeper pick now.

Sorry I'll go again

Fixed.

Heres how Im shaping up so

[IMG][/img]abEVa4SaiI.jpg[/url]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I got a Best Goalkeeper award at the age of 8 when I still played club football but you don't want me in goal in your team now, especially if that's the peak of my powers. ;P

Scirea and Nesta will look after you dont worry :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Theres my left back gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

C. Ronaldo and proper Ronaldo are not in the class maradona is in. He is and always will be the greatest of all time. Compare him to his peers at the time and while messi may be tearing up records at the moment I would say others are a while lost closer to him than what people were to maradona.

Ronaldo is by far a better athlete as are all the modern players by if we use basketball as a barometer no matter how many mvps Lebron wins he will never be regarded in the same league as Jordan

What happens for the last round, are we doing a random draw again?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

What happens for the last round, are we doing a random draw again?

yep (I guess one round had to not have a rehearsal atleast its the last one and not an early one though) and here it is:
    There were 16 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

Morzadec
    Copper_pipe
    Jax Teller
    Bucketybuck
    Eli Manning
    Bounty Hunter
    IncognitoMan
    redzerdrog
    G.K
    eugeneious
    ITT-Pat
    Blatter
    Knex.
    whatawaster
    Trippie
    Moneymaker

Timestamp: 2013-06-08 11:48:59 UTC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Trippie wrote: »
    C. Ronaldo and proper Ronaldo are not in the class maradona is in. He is and always will be the greatest of all time. Compare him to his peers at the time and while messi may be tearing up records at the moment I would say others are a while lost closer to him than what people were to maradona.

Ronaldo is by far a better athlete as are all the modern players by if we use basketball as a barometer no matter how many mvps Lebron wins he will never be regarded in the same league as Jordan

I watched a Maradona documentary yesterday and it really reinforced my belief that he was at a different level. He won the toughest league in the world twice with Napoli FFS, not to mention effectively winning a world cup singlehandedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Maradona was definitely brilliant but come on, Messi is the greatest player ever to exist and still young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Trippie wrote: »

Saying this weakens your stance though, you are admitting that no matter how good a player s you refuse to countenance the fact that they may be better, therefore it kinda invalidates any blanket statements about how good a player is.

FWIW I rate CR7, Marradona, Messi, Garrincha, Cryuff, Pele, Ronaldo as the top, in order. The Garrincha and pele is coloured by the reduced coverage ive seen but thats the rub. Cristiano and Maradonna are top due to physical strength matching their skills, pair of powerhouses but ronaldo is such a complete athlete that also is a set piece threats, small margins though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Saying this weakens your stance though, you are admitting that no matter how good a player s you refuse to countenance the fact that they may be better, therefore it kinda invalidates any blanket statements about how good a player is.

FWIW I rate CR7, Marradona, Messi, Garrincha, Cryuff, Pele, Ronaldo as the top, in order. The Garrincha and pele is coloured by the reduced coverage ive seen but thats the rub. Cristiano and Maradonna are top due to physical strength matching their skills, pair of powerhouses but ronaldo is such a complete athlete that also is a set piece threats, small margins though.
    Sorry, but that's surely a joke? The Ballon D'Or count if nothing else disproves that.

THFC wrote: »
    Sorry, but that's surely a joke? The Ballon D'Or count if nothing else disproves that.

Hardly, messi is better at what he does but ronaldo would imo fit in as effectively in any team/system, messi, like barca is amazing at what he does but i think he suffers from the same lack of flexibility. anyway at the top level it's a case of who you are including in the top tier really. (and i thought i'd get more abuse for the rest of the order too.)

Can someone pm the next guy for me please.

Can't wait for the voting.

Think edwards is a big gamble but was wondering myself would anybody chance it. Supposedly immense mentally, skillfully and physically for a player that young, never really reached what his prime should have been though. :(:(

Knex. wrote: »
    Can someone pm the next guy for me please.

pm'd trippie, he's the right one ya?

• Advertisement

Had hoped to get Evra myself .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Can anyone vote or is it just open to draft members?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Can anyone vote or is it just open to draft members?

anyone can vote that was one thing we decided before we started drafting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

So Evra is one of the top 16 left backs of all time. Oh dear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Quazzie wrote: »

Multiple league titles, champions league title(played in 4 finals) and been first choice left back for one of the biggest clubs in the world for what, 6-7 years now?

Do you just post sensationalist garbage like that to try and get thanks? :rolleyes:

Quazzie wrote: »

Go on so name 16 better. It's not as easy as you think doing this

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Multiple league titles, champions league title(played in 4 finals) and been first choice left back for one of the biggest clubs in the world for what, 6-7 years now?

Do you just post sensationalist garbage like that to try and get thanks? :rolleyes:

Im sorry but there is no way evra is one of the 16 best left backs of all time. IMO Evra wouldnt even be one of the best 5 left backs in the premiership era. Thats discounting all the other leagues and football pre the 1990s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

People seriously underrating Evra at his best here. Would definitely have expected him to be selected in this draft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Im sorry but there is no way evra is one of the 16 best left backs of all time. IMO Evra wouldnt even be one of the best 5 left backs in the premiership era. Thats discounting all the other leagues and football pre the 1990s.

Good Fooking lord. Ashley cole and who? Irwin? Who else?

Djimi Traore?

• Advertisement

I was going to pick a left back who has never won a thing in his career ,he's one of the best attacking full backs around and has been for the last few years , but I didn't want to have to respond to people asking is he one of the top 176 players of all time .

I actually looked at a list of Top 100 left backs ever a few days..and Evra wasn't on it.
    In fairness the list was from 2010 so he'd probably be on it now,personally I'd have a few ahead of him but thats omo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I actually looked at a list of Top 100 left backs ever a few days..and Evra wasn't on it.
    In fairness the list was from 2010 so he'd probably be on it now,personally I'd a few ahead of him but thats omo
    Here's the list. He might not be behind all 100 but he certainly wouldn't make the top 16

That list has Roberto Carlos 44 places ahead of Ashley Cole.

Sounds legit.

Blatter wrote: »
    That list has Roberto Carlos 44 places ahead of Ashley Cole.

Christ. That's outrageous.

Is yer question that Cole should be higher than Carlos or that Cole's ranking is too low?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

That list is a nonsense, tbf. How the **** can you put a man who was born in 1908 in the top 5? I mean, I could understand it, maybe, if it was a striker with 500 goals in 500 games or something - the stats would help your argument - but you surely wouldn't have enough footage of a left-back playing football in the 30s to make such a decision.

Is yer question that Cole should be higher than Carlos or that Cole's ranking is too low?

Cole is too low and Carlos is too high in my mind.

Wouldn't have too much of an argument if Cole was higher than Carlos, but there certainly shouldn't be that much of a gap in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Both.

• Advertisement

Carlos' defending wasn't good enough to be considered one of the best left backs ever. A great attacking wing back yes but he was way to unreliable from a defensive pov.

3 irish and 3 nordies on that list, the island is well served

Stuart pearce leighton baines graeme le saux and touch and go between him and clichy. I understand its tough to do this but if u take a step back from it there is no way evra should br anywhere near the list. Cole and irwin defo and maybe pearce from the premiership era.

I'm as big an Evra critic as anyone but in his pomp he was a level above those guys you named.

Fair enough its personal opinion but stuart pearce was for years the best left back in the league.Baines in the utd team and evra in the everton team and people may be looking at things differently. Anyway my main point is evra should not be in the top 16 left backs of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Thecon21 wrote: »
    Maradona was definitely brilliant but come on, Messi is the greatest player ever to exist and still young.

Maradona was superior imo. Dragged Napoli to titles and Argentina to two successive WC Finals. Messi's lack of International production is relevant imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Pearce > Evra imo. Extraordinary player for a long time. Played the game properly too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Stuart pearce leighton baines graeme le saux and touch and go between him and clichy. I understand its tough to do this but if u take a step back from it there is no way evra should br anywhere near the list. Cole and irwin defo and maybe pearce from the premiership era.

I think there is a reason some of us went for full backs relatively early, the real quality ones are thin on the ground, and you are then into the likes of Evra who many people will scoff at. Got to be honest though, Evra in his prime was a much, much better fullback than Baines or Le Saux, and Clichy shouldn't even be mentioned in this discussion.

Ah I really thought Zoff was gonna slip through

One final legend to round off my legends team. Dino Zoff.

My final Team:abEVNSxabM.jpg
    Thats an excellent well thought out team. Players from lots of different eras and strong throughout. It would be hard to make an argument against any of your picks. While there is nothing wrong with picking players from the modern era its refreshing to see a team lacking a player from the last 6/7 years all these players have stood or will stand the test of time.

Added the latest draft order to front page. Hope you don't mind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement