Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer draft legends discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Think the rules are fine tbh. Yeah, there are issues with things like reputation, era, definition of legend etc, but it's all to be expected.

Compensate for it in your writeup and exploit what you can in the opposition. Explain your thinking behind your picks for the voters.

It's only a bit of fun at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

So has everyone picked their eleven yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Blatter wrote: »
    The aim of the draft should still be to pick the best team possible. I don't understand why you'd pick player A, who had inferior ability to player B, just because player A is currently considered more of a 'legend' than player B.

It just weakens the strength of your team.

as Knex said there, it can all be compensated for in the write-ups, but I'd be in the school of thought where a player whose achieved a lot in the game, that there should be a bit of weight behind that.

it shouldn't eclipse the modern players in all circumstances, but it has to have some sort of significance IMO.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

So has everyone picked their eleven yet?

Trippie & Moneymaker still to draft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Trippie & Moneymaker still to draft
    Come on guys get this done.
    Really interested to read the writes up of how the "managers" will set their teams up.
    I have 2 teams that I fancy so far but can be swayed by tactics and will have to read up on some players (G.Ks whole team :D) before casting my vote.

Will there be a write up for each game based on how they would approach that particular opposition or will it just be an overall footballing philosophy round up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Knex. wrote: »
    Think the rules are fine tbh. Yeah, there are issues with things like reputation, era, definition of legend etc, but it's all to be expected.

Compensate for it in your writeup and exploit what you can in the opposition. Explain your thinking behind your picks for the voters.

It's only a bit of fun at the end of the day.

Well said, let this be the end of the tedious debate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Felexicon wrote: »
    Will there be a write up for each game based on how they would approach that particular opposition or will it just be an overall footballing philosophy round up?

Personally speaking, I hope to do a write up for each game. I picked players with versatility in mind, precisely so I could modify the team based on the opposition if needs be. Thats a big reason I went for players like Desailly and Zanetti, I can change them into midfield if it suits.

Come on guys get this done.
    Really interested to read the writes up of how the "managers" will set their teams up.
    I have 2 teams that I fancy so far but can be swayed by tactics and will have to read up on some players (G.Ks whole team :D) before casting my vote.

Usually the idea is that when I (someone else can if im not around) post the thread they both get to then make their replies and set out their team and how they would have them play in the match up. Only after both had done so would a poll then be added (thankfully we have two mods involved here so no probs with such matters) and people would be able to vote on who they think would win, meanwhile each poster can continue to post on the thread responding to the others points or making their own or even defending their teams chances against voters who explained why they voted against them.

That is until the time limit on the poll (usually 2 days, but can be different if anyone suggests so) runs out and all have voted

Never put my Final Team up. Here it is:

abEWesLacr.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Suffers from the same problem as mine in that there's no true defensive midfielder. Both players work better with a destructive body next to them.

• Advertisement

G.K. wrote: »
    Suffers from the same problem as mine in that there's no true defensive midfielder. Both players work better with a destructive body next to them.

Yeah that is one thing I was worrying about, but Schweinsteiger is capable of putting in a tackle and Xabi reads the game so well.

here is the draw for the first knockout round, again via random.org, if you are drawn no.1 you play no.2 and so on:
    There were 16 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

Jax Teller
    ITT-Pat
    Knex.
    whatawaster
    Moneymaker
    Blatter
    G.K
    Eli Manning
    Bounty Hunter
    Trippie
    IncognitoMan
    Bucketybuck
    Morzadec
    eugeneious
    Copper_pipe
    redzerdrog

So:
    Jax vs Pat
    Knex vs Whatawaster
    Moneymaker vs Blatter
    G.K vs Eli Manning
    Bounty Hunter vs Trippie
    Incognitoman vs BucketyBuck
    Morzadec vs eugenious
    Copper Pipe vs Redzerdog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

BountyHunter - can we each have time to post our write-ups before those threads are started. Otherwise people will start voting before the managers have had their arguments put forward.

BountyHunter - can we each have time to post our write-ups before those threads are started. Otherwise people will start voting before the managers have had their arguments put forward.

thats what I meant about me not adding the poll before both people had responded. People wont be able to vote until both teams and their managers write ups are displayed for their consideration

No poll until write ups are done = no way to vote

Had a feeling I'd be up against whatawaster for some reason.

There's at least 3 Liverpool legends who I now have to go get dirt on :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Are me and ITT-Pat first ? Be bit of an overkill on the forum to have 8 games going at once .

Jax Teller wrote: »
    Are me and ITT-Pat first ? Be bit of an overkill on the forum to have 8 games going at once .

Good point actually.

How many games at once are we going to have? I would say between 2 and 4 would probably be alright.

ill probably start 3/4 games at once (the rest can wait until those are decided), haven't decided how much would be too much at once but a max of 4 games running at once in this or any round for sure imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

how long is the voting period?

• Advertisement

Will probably give 24hrs max from when the thread is posted for both combatants to post their write-ups, if they are not done by then the polls will be opened anyway and after either 36/48hrs (probably the latter) they will be closed again. However as said previously if people would like to suggest an alternative to say the time frames im putting forward now or anything else say so now

Won't have a chance to do any writing-up until Wednesday, just as a heads up. Got exams tomorrow and Wednesday morning.

Best of luck man.

G.K. wrote: »
    Won't have a chance to do any writing-up until Wednesday, just as a heads up. Got exams tomorrow and Wednesday morning.

good luck man and no worries will make sure your match up isnt in the first batch (next few days) and can do the same for anyone else that gives a heads up in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I dont understand how people can have the choice of every player ever to play the game and still have players playing out of position. For me it is a major downfall of any team and will be taken into consideration when voting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Morzadec wrote: »
    Never put my Final Team up. Here it is:

abEWesLacr.jpg

thats a pretty awesome team, cant see many weaknesses there

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

event wrote: »
    thats a pretty awesome team, cant see many weaknesses there

For some reason when I see Pires I keep thinking of his Aston Villa incarnation. Must put that out of my head...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

For some reason when I see Pires I keep thinking of his Aston Villa incarnation. Must put that out of my head...

Pires is the weakest part of that team which says a lot about how strong it is. Morzadec picked really well. A fair few familiars interspersed with a few classics. The best way to do this draft, imo. A few others have done similarly well.

Must be noted that Pires wasn't as effective on the right as the left. But as Phlegmy says, the fact that he's the weakest shows its strength.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Really sorry about the delay, the time difference and long days in work has me struggling last day or so. will pick in a few, deciding between three players, have to do some thinking. give me a few minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

abEWA1Fal5.jpg

What do we reckon?

The lack of a goal scoring midfielder may come back to haunt me but I have over 1000 goals in that front 3(almost 1100 actually), two pacy fullbacks and a strong defensive spine. Won't be a pushover but there's a lot of very scary teams out there.

I immediately thought of your team when I seen this last night MM

Xavi: "I'm mainly a passer, so I need movement in front of me, I depend on that, I depend on my teammates."

https://twitter.com/barcastuff/status/344305562009350144

Think you made a mistake with the Busquets pick . Still a fine team though .

Best of luck .

Xavi: "I'm mainly a passer, so I need movement in front of me, I depend on that, I depend on my teammates."

Best of luck .

Definitely agree on the Busquets pick. It was the only error of yours IMO, simply because you already had Makelele. If trading was allowed, you'd be sorted.

Trading's a pretty nice idea, in some ways. Most people won't want to change anything though.

Best of luck .

Alves, Evra and the three front lads will give him all the movement he could ever want :)

Busquets would be the best footballer on most teams in the world, people seriously underestimate his ball ability because he's overshadowed by the likes of Xaviesta and Messi. He won't be playing inch perfect slide rule passes to split a defence but he's more then capable of(and often does) start attacks with good balls that often lead to goals.

• Advertisement

I played a draft on another forum where when you won you got to take one of the other guys players .
    Think I picked up C.Ronaldo when I won one of my games .

I played a draft on another forum where when you won you got to take one of the other guys players .
    Think I picked up C.Ronaldo when I won one of my games .

Cool idea but that could seriously unbalance someones team and make it more or less invincible. Maybe it would even out as pretty much everyone would just pick the most standout A grade player anyway. I'd be down for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

abEWEmMaio.jpg

Julio Cesar : In 2009, IFFHS named him as the third best goalkeeper in the world, behind only Iker Casillas and Gianluigi Buffon. He has also been awarded the Serie A Goalkeeper of the Year title in 2009 and in 2010. QPR didnt exactly turn out too good for him :Pac:

Phil Neal : He is one of the most successful English players of all time, having won eight First Divisions, four League Cups, five FA Charity Shields, four European Cups, one UEFA Cup and one UEFA Super Cup during his eleven years at Liverpool. Phil Neal's nickname whilst at Liverpool was Zico – a reference to the Brazilian play maker and a compliment to Neal, who was known for scoring important goals throughout the clubs history.

Fabio Cannavaro : He is considered one of the greatest defenders of his generation and was given the name "Muro di Berlino," which means "The Berlin Wall," by Italian supporters. He won the FIFA World Player of the Year award in 2006, making him only the second defender to win the award alongside Lothar Matthäus, he is however oldest recipient. His Real Madrid profile describes him as being known for his strength, anticipation of the cross, positioning and aerial game.

Giorgio Cheillini : He started out his career as a left back but made his name as a consistent, hard tackling centre back with a penchant for dispatching goals from set-pieces

Junior : He was known for his technique and teamwork as well as his versatility, playing at left back and on the left of midfield for Brazil due to his two footedness (despite being naturally right footed) whilst often playing midfielder at club level.

Hagi :He was one of the best attacking midfielders in Europe during the 1980s and 1990s and is considered the greatest Romanian footballer of all time. Galatasaray fans called him 'Commandante' (The Commander) and the Romanians called him 'Regele' (The King).
    Nicknamed "The Maradona of the Carpathians", he is considered a hero in his homeland. He has won his country's "Player of the Year" award seven times, and is regarded as one of the best football players of the 20th century.
    He played for the Romanian national team in three World Cups in 1990, 1994 and 1998, as well as in three European Football Championships in 1984, 1996 and 2000.

Bobby Charlton : an English former football player, regarded as one of the greatest midfielders of all time, and an essential member of the England team who won the World Cup and also won the Ballon d'Or for European Footballer of the Year in 1966. He played almost all of his club football at Manchester United, where he became renowned for his attacking instincts and passing abilities from midfield and his ferocious long-range shot. He was also well known for his fitness and stamina.

Bruno Conti : Conti was on the Italian national side that won the 1982 FIFA World Cup. He was one of the best players in the tournament. Despite being booked after 31 minutes, he was a central figure in Italy's second goal that was scored by Marco Tardelli and single-handedly created Italy's third goal by breaking down the right side from the half-way line and crossing to Alessandro Altobelli to score from the top of the box after 81 minutes. The Italians won the game 3-1.

Leonel Sanchez : He played at left midfield for over 20 years between 1953 and 1973. 17 of those 20 were for Universidad de Chile, where he was the icon of the Ballet Azul (Blue Ballet), a team that won 6 national championships between 1959 and 1969. He scored 366 goals in 411 games over a 17 year spell.

Pele : Pele has won a lot in his time
    Copa America Best Player: 1959[
    International Federation of Football History and Statistics(IFFHS): World´s most successful Top Division Goal Scorer: 541 goals
    All time Top Scorer in one calendar year: 127 goals(1959)
    Most goals in domestic Championships: 650 goals
    World record number of hat tricks: 92

He scored 619 goals in 638 games for santos and 95 goals in 113 games for his country

Hector sanchez :He played for four European clubs, including Real Madrid. He was also a member of the Mexico national team, and participated in three World Cups. In 1999, the IFFHS voted him the 26th best footballer of the 20th century, and the best footballer from the CONCACAF region

^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've only checked a few but are these all copy and paste jobs from Wiki.

Bit sad really

^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've only checked a few but are these all copy and paste jobs from Wiki.

Bit sad really

What else do you expect people to do in fairness??? :confused:

Especially for players they would not have seen play for themselves.

• Advertisement

Moneymaker wrote: »
    What else do you expect people to do in fairness??? :confused:

Especially for players they would not have seen play for themselves.
    Not copy and paste anyway. Maybe explain why they picked the player/what they will bring to the side etc. Just seems lazy to me

Not copy and paste anyway. Maybe explain why they picked the player/what they will bring to the side etc. Just seems lazy to me

Maybe he will do that for his match write up when it relates to an opposing side and how x player will exploit the weaknesses of y player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Also they are incorrect. Cannavaro was not the second defender to win the Ballon d'or, and Matthaus wasn't the first.

I've done much the same . Gives you a decent understanding of the player if you don't know who they're .

Then you write out how you play against the other team when you see the other team .

Maybe he will do that for his match write up when it relates to an opposing side and how x player will exploit the weaknesses of y player.

That was the plan, Only putting this up now as i have the Leaving until the 18th. Will do a X vs Y write up when the match thread crops up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

One thing: It's Hugo Sanchez, not Hector Sanchez.

One thing: It's Hugo Sanchez, not Hector Sanchez.

Was wondering who the Mexican journeyman was. :pac:

Or was it this guy? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A9ctor_S%C3%A1nchez_Cabrera

Was going to start the first group of knockout games today but before I do so

1) Anyone interested in doing a rule like the one Jax mentioned (you can take a player from any team you beat) ?

2)Anyone like their game to be in a certain batch of games, i.e those starting today and running for a few days or those running the few days afterwards? perhaps some already know which days they will have more time online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

abEWA1Fal5.jpg

What do we reckon?

The lack of a goal scoring midfielder may come back to haunt me but I have over 1000 goals in that front 3(almost 1100 actually), two pacy fullbacks and a strong defensive spine. Won't be a pushover but there's a lot of very scary teams out there.

Your team would be stronger if you dumped Busquets for an undrafted like Liam Brady imo (actually how was Brady not drafted? :confused:).

That said, your front three is truly epic, and your center half pairing rocks. Also, Chilavert / Stoichkov / Ayala / Batigol all in the one team. So much passion on show!

I forgot cantona :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement