Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer draft legends discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

abEWEmMaio.jpg

I think Cesar and Cheillini are weaknesses relative to the level this draft is pitched at. You did draft some great players but a massive lack of balance to your side. God and Bobby Charlton in the middle gives you an avalanche of quality, but leave you murdered on the counter attack and generally starved of possession and control. I don't think it's going to work I'm afraid.

Also to those criticising your copy and paste from wikipedia - aren't you in the middle of your leaving right now? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I think Cesar and Cheillini are weaknesses relative to the level this draft is pitched at. You did draft some great players but a massive lack of balance to your side. God and Bobby Charlton in the middle gives you an avalanche of quality, but leave you murdered on the counter attack and generally starved of possession and control. I don't think it's going to work I'm afraid.

Also to those criticising your copy and paste from wikipedia - aren't you in the middle of your leaving right now? :)

Ya I am, I'll be finished Tuesday :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I forgot cantona :(

Probably a good thing you did. He had no place being picked in this draft.

Ya I am, I'll be finished Tuesday :)

No wonder you're in copy and paste mode - the Leaving Cert is the the biggest copy and paste exercise of them all (except you have to copy it in and paste it out of your brain!). Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I'm ready to go whenever, would be nice to see how ITT-Pat will lineup though . Would save time for when the game goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Was going to start the first group of knockout games today but before I do so

1) Anyone interested in doing a rule like the one Jax mentioned (you can take a player from any team you beat) ?

2)Anyone like their game to be in a certain batch of games, i.e those starting today and running for a few days or those running the few days afterwards? perhaps some already know which days they will have more time online

1) Personally I don't think we should do this as it should've been agreed on at the start, and also because the quality is already so high. The tiny weaknesses that teams might have should remain, otherwise it becomes boring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

anyone got a full grid of all the picks?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Morzadec wrote: »
    1) Personally I don't think we should do this as it should've been agreed on at the start, and also because the quality is already so high. The tiny weaknesses that teams might have should remain, otherwise it becomes boring

I'd kinda agree with that especially the first part. Thanks for replying about this, people dont always reply to most things like this.

Ill start a few matches tonight and given the time difference it should still be late afternoon / early evening there when I do so. btw If im ever not around anyone else can feel free to do such things although obviously you will need a mods help later if you dont want to add the polls immediately. I should be fine to do all such things but if im ever not around for whatever reason you guys dont need to wait for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I won't be at a keyboard till this evening but I'm good with starting today. Agree with not doing the pink slip, take one player thing.

Also, if grid isn't up by time I'm home I'll throw one up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Your team would be stronger if you dumped Busquets for an undrafted like Liam Brady imo (actually how was Brady not drafted? :confused:).

Agreed, thats a fairly serious omission. He would strengthen a lot of the teams posted.

It is hard to keep track of who is picked when you're not involved but when you mentioned that Brady wasn't selected it surprised me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Put me down as somebody who would not want to take a player from a defeated team.

I wasn't really suggesting it to be part of the draft . I was just mentioning it when someone said something about trading .
    Certain teams would become too strong if we used it .

Brady is in my Alternative XI who weren't picked.

some gems not taken, but the forward lines are saturated with quality, so it's no real surprise.

Denis Law
    Jimmy Johnstone
    was Glenn Hoddle picked?

even Christian Vieri (remember him!) might have been a handy pick for someone.

Albertini & Donadoni from Milan I thought would be taken.

After a certain point I assumed Brady was aka ready gone. After the same lad took Best and Keane I was kinda hoping he would take him and McGrath or Irwin too later

Thought Greaves might have gone too along with Nobby Stiles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I was going to pick Brady but went for Falcao becuase I loved the guy just a bit more. On reflection I should of picked Brady for the recognition although Falcao was too good to pass up. I can't believe Brady wasn't picked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

SlickRic wrote: »
    Brady is in my Alternative XI who weren't picked.

some gems not taken, but the forward lines are saturated with quality, so it's no real surprise.

Denis Law
    Jimmy Johnstone
    was Glenn Hoddle picked?

even Christian Vieri (remember him!) might have been a handy pick for someone.

Ibrahimovic, Rooney, van Persie, Crespo, Paulo Rossi, Yaya Toure, Giles, Tigana, Blanc all would have been acceptable picks too.

Giuseppe Meazza is another who I don't think was picked and is widely regarded in many places as one of the greatest ever players. But not enough people would know much about him as he played in the 40s.

Considered Law and Vieri for a while before going with Rummenigge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

After a certain point I assumed Brady was aka ready gone. After the same lad took Best and Keane I was kinda hoping he would take him and McGrath or Irwin too later

I did actually seriously consider Brady, to the point of almost going with him, but Duncan Edwards was still available so it was very hard to look past him.

Zvonimir Boban.
    Robert Prosinecki.
    Guiseppe Bergomi.
    Paolo Montero (one of my personal favourites).
    the de Boers.
    Billy Wright.
    Rinat Dasoyev.

Dixie Dean another one.

Klinsmann, Villa, Torres, Drogba would all have been acceptable too.

• Advertisement

Did anyone take Jairzinho ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Jax Teller wrote: »
    Zinedine Kilbane not being snapped up was a shock

Jax Teller wrote: »

someone definitely did.

Stojkovic and Savicevic are two others that could easily have gone.

Inzaghi too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

someone definitely did.

Stojkovic and Savicevic are two others that could easily have gone.

Inzaghi too.
    Inzaghi would have divided opinion more than any other pick.

I would have picked him though

Johnny Giles probably had a case for inclusion too.

Zvonimir Boban.
    Robert Prosinecki.
    Guiseppe Bergomi.
    Paolo Montero (one of my personal favourites).
    the de Boers.
    Billy Wright.
    Rinat Dasoyev.

Dreadful ommission!!! :eek:

Julio Cesar was picked ffs!

Dasoyev

Zmuda----Charlton--Montero---Jarni

Giles (C)

Brady

Savicivec
    Prosinecki
    Boban

Vieri

Not too shabby imo. You'd scalp tickets to see those three play in the middle together in their prime!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Were Kempes,Voller or Zico taken?

Voller and Kempes weren't.

my team.

Rinat Dasoyev
    Guiseppe Bergomi----Billy Wright
    Paolo Montero
    F de Boer
    Arie Haan
    Glenn Hoddle

Liam Brady
    Jimmy Johnstone
    Tom Finney
    Christian Vieri

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Johnny Giles probably had a case for inclusion too.

cant fathom how he wasnt picked, arguably our best ever player

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

My final team. Any constrictive criticisms/opinions Would be appreciated!

abEWUQYaoz.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

At this standard I would consider you a little weak in the back to be honest.
    Dam good doing forward though

Moneymaker wrote: »
    abEWA1Fal5.jpg

Not too many would go in against that team but missing that piece of magic in the middle 2 of midfield

Opinions on this please?

abEV9hValY.jpg

eugeneious wrote: »
    My final team. Any constrictive criticisms/opinions Would be appreciated!

abEWUQYaoz.jpg

Hmm, I wonder if Muller and Matthews are a bad fit amongst the rest of your side. Your midfield three and left side is delicious. Very flexible, technically proficient and creative. You'd see them all linking and swapping and making life a nightmare for opponents.

Then you'll have a fox in a box and a wizard hugging the right touchline. I wonder if they're too one dimensional to fit with the rest of your overall shape and style?

Blatter wrote: »
    Opinions on this please?

abEV9hValY.jpg

Would question is falco a legend yet. he may become one in the future but I dont think so at the min.
    Love the middle 5 going forward, and it would take a while to get it off them , but don't know if you have enough there to get the ball back.

While your full backs are /were great players are they in the best 12 of all time in their positions- I dont think so personally.
    Think silva is in the same position as falco

Opinions on this please?

abEV9hValY.jpg

a very strong team.

if I was being really picky, as good as Falcao is, in my interpretation of "legends", i think you maybe could've done better.

Silva would be a slight weak link for the same reason, but is also obviously a superb player.

your midfield is phenomenal and well balanced. Redondo, Neeskens and Zidane is pure majesty IMO. Rivaldo and Bergkamp also can't really be faulted at all.

Cole and Irwin, also superb, and also diverse in what they bring. Irwin, i know can quite easily play RB, but LB, as far as I'm aware was his preferred position. either way, he'd be as solid as a rock for you, so meh, it doesn't affect much for me.

you should be at the business end of the process quite easily IMO.

jem wrote: »
    Would question is falco a legend yet. he may become one in the future but I dont think so at the min.
    Love the middle 5 going forward, and it would take a while to get it off them , but don't know if you have enough there to get the ball back.

While your full backs are /were great players are they in the best 12 of all time in their positions- I dont think so personally.
    Think silva is in the same position as falco

As has been said before legends is only the name of the draft , there was no requirement to pick legends plus we all could have different definitions of legends .

I like it Blatter don't know a lot about Neeskens as a player though . I wonder will Zidane & Bergkamp get in each others way .

musnt be any Arsenal fans drafting, Bergkamp going so late & Tony Adams not being picked. Wouldnt have been shocked if Overmars was picked too, although I think a lot of people didnt pick conventional RWs and instead took a versatile WF type

thought that scary fecker Schumacher might have been picked as one of the goalies too. first 4 matches will be up within the next few hours

Jax vs Pat
    Knex vs Whatawaster
    Moneymaker vs Blatter
    G.K vs Eli Manning
    Bounty Hunter vs Trippie

iirc G.K said he wouldnt be online much the next day or so, so my match vs Trippie will move up to being the 4th match and G.K can face Blatter in a few days

a very strong team.

if I was being really picky, as good as Falcao is, in my interpretation of "legends", i think you maybe could've done better.

Silva would be a slight weak link for the same reason, but is also obviously a superb player.

your midfield is phenomenal and well balanced. Redondo, Neeskens and Zidane is pure majesty IMO. Rivaldo and Bergkamp also can't really be faulted at all.

Cole and Irwin, also superb, and also diverse in what they bring. Irwin, i know can quite easily play RB, but LB, as far as I'm aware was his preferred position. either way, he'd be as solid as a rock for you, so meh, it doesn't affect much for me.

you should be at the business end of the process quite easily IMO.

Just on Irwin there, I think people think his preferred position was left back because he played there a lot for United. The reason why he played left back was because he was so comfortable there and the club had other very good right backs throughout his time like Parker and Neville. He was actually signed for United as a right back, had played there for Oldham and a lot of games there for Ireland (including WC 94). He was predominantly right footed (as seen with his set pieces) but obviously had a brilliant left foot too. The fullbacks positions are much the same job, once you can play one of them, the only thing stopping you from being able to play on the other side is the strength of your opposite foot. Irwin obviously had no issues here, as he showed several times.

I know you're not really criticising Irwin at right back at all but I wouldn't be surprised to see some have a bigger problem with it when in reality it's a non issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

a very strong team.

It's not just legends included, modern and current players are included too and there is nothing wrong with either of Falcao and Silva, both fantastic players

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Was Ronald Koeman picked?

yep he was, hopefully someone will put up a full list of those drafted soon, as im about to put up the first 4 matches and im sure itd be handy to know who is on the opposing team before doing up a write up but at worst case Knex said he would throw up a picked players list this evening

Thecon21 wrote: »
    It's not just legends included, modern and current players are included too and there is nothing wrong with either of Falcao and Silva, both fantastic players

i didn't say they weren't. in fact, i said they both were.

but because we're going throughout the history of the game, IMO, there are better picks. just my opinion. i don't think either qualify in the top 20/30 ever in their position ever yet.

i don't think that's a controversial statement to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Opinions on this please?

abEV9hValY.jpg

Took the midfield pairing I had aimed for, as others have said, very strong.

Will just get a grid up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

finaldraftpicks.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

GK:Peruzzi
    RB:Anderson
    CB:Ferrera
    CB:Montero
    LB:Sansom
    CM:Ardilles
    CM: Brady
    RW:Johnstone
    LW:Overmars
    ST:Villa
    ST:Drogba

Pretty good team that ^^

Just on my team, lots of people wondering why I went for Busquets and Makelele. Simple enough really, Stoichkov and Di Stefano will drift all over the place and i'm going to be relying on my fullbacks to get forward and provide natural width. This will leave me vulnerable to counter attacks so 2 DMs will make it much less likely i'll be exposed. Consider how many teams are stacked with attacking player it makes sense I think. Also i'll own the football vs pretty much anyone.

Cheers for the threads Bounty Hunter. I'll have a write up posted around 7 or 8.

Looking forward to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Been hectic last three days and lots of travelling involved so havent been around. Sorry about the delay in picks. How long do we have to do our write ups? Not sure I'll have time to do a fully detailed one right this minute so bountyHunter if you wish to just concede that would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

A lot of the great Serbs\Croats\Yugos overlooked. Also, how were people picking the likes of Torricelli and Tassotti ahead of Bergomi? He kept those players out of the Italian team for years, absolute legend. Ciro Ferrara was there to be had as well. Better than Montero the mentalist and the heartbeat of that Juve side. Was Jurgen Kohler picked actually? Andy Moller? He was awesome. Don't see any terrible omissions in the other positions.

Added a basic writeup of my team to the match thread (here).

Looking forward to seeing people's opinions and discussing match ups etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement