Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer draft legends discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i prefer Montero to Ferrara, purely because he was a bit mental.

Kohler was picked, Muller no.

Thomas Hassler is another one. i'm also shocked neither Klinsmann or Voller were picked tbh.

people could have really made hay with the Eastern Block. Suker too could easily have gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Of those mentioned that didn't go I considered a few:

Blanc, F. de Boer, Ferrara (instead of Costacurta)

Thomas Hassler (instead of Pires)

Kilnsmann (instead of van Nistelrooy, although after looking at their scoring-records I think it was a no-brainer to go for RVN in the end).

Anyone think my team would've been better if I had gone for these alternate options?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Everybody throwing out all these names of people who should have gone, who exactly should they have gone ahead off?

I can think of a few people I don't rate, but Klinsman for example, which strikers picked was he better than?

Everybody throwing out all these names of people who should have gone, who exactly should they have gone ahead off?

I can think of a few people I don't rate, but Klinsman for example, which strikers picked was he better than?

Well I think there's a very decent argument for him being better than and achieving more at the top level than Falcao for example.

Though I think I get your point - there were always going to be a few quality CF's and number 10s in particular that were very good players but not going to get into teams due to the names ahead of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Bergomi ahead of the majority of other right backs.

Savicevic ahead of Bale, Pires, Robben etc.

Ferrara\Montero ahead of Stam, Terry, Hummels, Thiago Silva etc.

Anyway, that's not really the point of those posts. Just really going through some great players that could have got a look in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Was surprised more of the Juve lads from the 90s didnt go.

That defence was truly ridiculous. Like having a brick wall infront of the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

For me the biggest omission is Sandor Kocsis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Severe lack of Yugoslavians. No Papin. A bit of juninho, no? Lineker, Paolo Rossi, butragueno.

Any one interested in a 'rest of the best' there's a lot of quality still out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

eagle eye wrote: »
    For me the biggest omission is Sandor Kocsis.

Really considered him, but took Hidegkuti in the end.

Also really though about taking Boszik, Czibor, Giles, Rossi, Albertini, Greaves, Meazza, Zlatan, Wright, Dean, Savicivec, Haan, Finney, Ardiles, Overmars, just of those named by others in the thread.

Wish I'd taken Albertini, and can't believe I overlooked Bergomi. Knew there was someone better than Tassotti but couldn't put my finger on it.

Would have taken Dasyev if Maier had been taken.
    Jax Teller wrote: »
    Did anyone take Jairzinho?

Me, Round 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

Blatter wrote: »
    Ibrahimovic, Rooney, van Persie, Crespo, Paulo Rossi, Yaya Toure, Giles, Tigana, Blanc all would have been acceptable picks too.

Giuseppe Meazza is another who I don't think was picked and is widely regarded in many places as one of the greatest ever players. But not enough people would know much about him as he played in the 40s.
    Meazza was one of the guys I was thinking of. He led Italy to two world cups as well as ripping up Serie A.

The other guy I was thinking of was Sindelar, who led the Austrian wunderteam of the 1930's. I especially love him on account of the exhibition match staged to "celebrate" the Anschluss which was Austria's last match before being merged. Sindelar got Austria to play in their national colours instead of their usual kit, they took the mick out of the German team rather than letting them win and he ended it by celebrating like a lunatic in front of the Nazi officials. He refused to play for Germany and committed suicide a year later.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Trippie wrote: »
    Been hectic last three days and lots of travelling involved so havent been around. Sorry about the delay in picks. How long do we have to do our write ups? Not sure I'll have time to do a fully detailed one right this minute so bountyHunter if you wish to just concede that would be great.

nah I dont think i'll just conceed (or accept you doing so if that what you meant) just yet. I havent done my write up yet having only posted the threads late night my time yesterday and will do mine today. If I had known you were busy like this I would have gotten someone elses game to take the 4th match spot but im not going to be harsh on you despite being your opponent as well as the guy running this.

What I said previously about a timeframe (although I did look for others suggestions too but none came) was 24hrs to post the write up from when the thread went up, but how about we just say 24hrs (roughly, 25/26 etc is acceptable) from now. Sure even at that point all I'll do is add the poll so if you arent too late getting it up (phrasing!) then you could still easily catch up and win assuming your team is awesome (honestly have to check who you have now, been hella busy myself)

Will go and check which games have already had 2 replies now and open the polls for them in a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Very busy over the last couple of days, will have time to get my write up in at around 7pm if that's ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

It-Pat says he'll have his write up shortly. Here's how he's lining up .

abEXgb5ahl.jpg

Blatter wrote: »
    Very busy over the last couple of days, will have time to get my write up in at around 7pm if that's ok.

yeah no problem.

Here are links to the games as they may fall off page 1

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056969519 Knex & Whatawaster
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056969518 Jax & Pat
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056969520 moneymaker blatter
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056969521 BH & Trippie

Im sure they could all use a bumping from time to time so try and vote on others matches and leave a comment while there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It-Pat says he'll have his write up shortly. Here's how he's lining up .

abEXgb5ahl.jpg

That is a brilliant team imo. Carlos and Ramos will provide much needed width. Raul / Platini / Weah an eye watering prospect. Beckham / Scholes / Seedorf is a great midfield too.

I think the lack of a protective anchoring presence is the achiles heel here - but this team will be extremely difficult to defend against. The only player who adds nothing in possession will be Campbell. Any opponent with a lazy forward line will pay a huge price as Koeman will thrive opening things up from the back into that lineup.

Opponents will need to argue that:

- they have the players to press effectively;
    - they have a very solid center back pairing with an elite shielding midfielder;
    - they are set up well to counter attack with pace and exploit Carlos and Ramos being pushed on ahead of Koeman's relative lack of pace;

Bale & Neuer will be considered legends by the time my game starts :)

I'm busy with projects and stuff so I won't have any writeup done til tomorrow.

Was just thinking there, Riquelme was another great player that people might have forgotten about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Bale & Neuer will be considered legends by the time my game starts :)

Yeah sorry about that man. I got there eventually!

• Advertisement

ITT-Pat wrote: »
    Yeah sorry about that man. I got there eventually!

Ah I'm only joking . Everyone's entitled to be busy once in a while . Good luck .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

anyone take drogba btw? big bad bully

anyone take drogba btw? big bad bully

Nope, mentioned him there a while back as well. Michel Salgado is another I was surprised not to see go. First choice right back for Real Madrid for the best part of a decade, he was a fantastic player.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    I'm busy with projects and stuff so I won't have any writeup done til tomorrow.

I waited for Blatter before throwing up the poll so ill do the same for yourself if the write up will be up today. The Poll will then run until 2 days from when its added and the next group of 4 matches will start individually when a game from the first batch ends. some polls (1 I think) went up after people had already commented after both write ups were added so dont forget that if you said one team would win, going back to vote on it would be good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Did anyone pick Gazza?

I don't think so.

• Advertisement

first 2 votes are over, myself and Knex have progressed and i'll put the next two matches up later today once they drop off the first page

Incognitoman vs BucketyBuck
    Morzadec vs eugenious
    Copper Pipe vs Redzerdog
    G.K vs Eli Manning

thats are current running order so heads up Incognitoman, BucketyBuck, Morzzadec & Eugenious

first 2 votes are over, myself and Knex have progressed and i'll put the next two matches up later today once they drop off the first page

Incognitoman vs BucketyBuck
    Morzadec vs eugenious
    Copper Pipe vs Redzerdog
    G.K vs Eli Manning

thats are current running order so heads up Incognitoman, BucketyBuck, Morzzadec & Eugenious

I'm good to go, would prefer to throw it up now as I will be gone out later on.

I'm good to go, would prefer to throw it up now as I will be gone out later on.

Was actually heading out myself when I wrote that but ill get it up fairly soon now

Morzadec vs Eugenious has been opened http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056971922 and as Jax Teller is now quater finalist no.3 Copper Pipe vs Redzer will also start today as might G.K vs Eli Manning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I´m out of the country until next Monday guys. "Stuck" in sunny Malaga on work for 5 days and then onto Madrid. Won´t have any internet access for the next couple of days so if you want to award GK a bye that´s fine but I´ll be back next Monday so I´ll be able to post then.

• Advertisement

I'm happy to wait for him (And to be honest I'd rather), but I guess if you want to advance the draft BH and not hold us all back, you could do it.

well that would be an 8 day delay so I dont think it should be up to just me to decide this, what do others say?

give G.K a bye? wait to have the match up? have the match up without Eli (have someone else throw up his team assuming he did one up previously in this thread to show his completed team) ?

what do people think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

What about a caretaker manager some take charge of the team for this game andif he progresses eli just takes back over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I think the team can be put up. I'm not sure people are swayed by the write ups anyway (or even read them) . Usually it's their own reasons they vote on

I think the team can be put up. I'm not sure people are swayed by the write ups anyway (or even read them) . Usually it's their own reasons they vote on

I'm starting to think this is definitely the case. Vast majority of people don't read or totally disregard writeups or any arguements put forward during the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'm starting to think this is definitely the case. Vast majority of people don't read or totally disregard writeups or any arguements put forward during the thread.

So far for me there has been obviius winners in all the matches. I thijk in the next round for me the write ups will become a lot more useful as the teams become more evenly matched.

The next person in the list should be given caretaker duty for the next round in my opinion for what it's worth.

Quazzie wrote: »
    So far for me there has been obviius winners in all the matches. I thijk in the next round for me the write ups will become a lot more useful as the teams become more evenly matched.

The next person in the list should be given caretaker duty for the next round in my opinion for what it's worth.

I'd agree that in the next round they may be more important although id also agree that people primarily base their votes off their own opinions of the two teams, however i do recall someone referencing and agreeing with something I said in my write up in my match thread vs Trippie. I'd also say I as a voter am influenced by others opinions as if a number of people think one thing, be it a player, formation or whatever is a negative for one team it will be in my mind when I then try and make up my mind.

If someone already eliminated (or failing that already involved or just interested) wants to put themselves forward as a possible caretaker for one match it might make the most sense from what people are saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I obviously didnt read the rules too clearly but i was under the impression that those who posted in thread had their votes counted and in the event of a tiebreaker we would use the poll to decide. its a bit harsh on moneymaker i must say

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I obviously didnt read the rules too clearly but i was under the impression that those who posted in thread had their votes counted and in the event of a tiebreaker we would use the poll to decide. its a bit harsh on moneymaker i must say

Opposite way around was my impression.

I think the rules were made in advance and so should stay as they are, but I do wonder if the change has meant that people who might previously have posted their reasons for voting, now simply don't bother because they don't have to?

• Advertisement

It's just so lazy. People take the time to research their picks and do the writeups and then random people come along and probably dont even read anything and just glance at the teams and vote on a whim.

I wouldn't be surprised if people look at a team, they see Messi or Ronaldo and they're like 'ah so he wins so.'

redzerdrog wrote: »

it was kinda the opposite, the poll is whats used but in a tie-breaker we would only count those who posted reasons why they voted on the thread.

Always harsh to lose out in such a close vote though. Maybe he could stay involved as a caretaker for Eli

It's just so lazy. People take the time to research their picks and do the writeups and then random people come along and probably dont even read anything and just glance at the teams and vote on a whim.

I wouldn't be surprised if people look at a team, they see Messi or Ronaldo and they're like 'ah so he wins so.'

well I did try to get a response from people before we started on a number of issues and that seemed to be one of the only ones people responded about, saying all votes should count. I did add the tie breaker bit where in a tie only those who replied counted but unfortunately for you Blatter got 1 extra vote.

well I did try to get a response from people before we started on a number of issues and that seemed to be one of the only ones people responded about, saying all votes should count. I did add the tie breaker bit where in a tie only those who replied counted but unfortunately for you Blatter got 1 extra vote.

Doesn't matter if its for or against me, it's a ****ty way to do things.

I'd rather 12 people voted and engaged in debate then 12 people + 20 randoms voted. Totally taints the results in every match.

Hard luck on MM - his was probably the team that worried me most during the picks, he put together a very good team.

Blatter's team is strong too though and I suppose on the rules decided he won fair and square, though I can understand MM's frustration.

Glad he's out though! (you can take that as compliment MoneyMaker!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Doesn't matter if its for or against me, it's a ****ty way to do things.

I'd rather 12 people voted and engaged in debate then 12 people + 20 randoms voted. Totally taints the results in every match.
    How does it. If you make the rules that only people who post get to vote then the threads will be full of one line posts explaining why people voted how they did. Every vote counts, whether they post or not.

FWIW I voted for Blatter because I felt his attack would overcome your defense more than yours of his.

See one line, and now my vote counts.

Why can't we see who's winning the poll until it's over ?

If you could see you were losing you could argue more and maybe win more votes .

Why can't we see who's winning the poll until it's over ?

If you could see you were losing you could argue more and maybe win more votes .

Element of surprise I suppose!

Plus maybe it could influence voters either consciously or subconciously

Morzadec wrote: »
    Element of surprise I suppose!

Plus maybe it could influence voters either consciously or subconciously

the second one is why I chose that when putting up the polls, thinking it could discourage people from voting also if it doesent seem close. No matter what not seing it doesent give anyone an advantage as both cant see it I suppose but if people would like the vote made public before it finishes I can edit ongoing polls and do future ones differently.

• Advertisement

the second one is why I chose that when putting up the polls, thinking it could discourage people from voting also if it doesent seem close. No matter what not seing it doesent give anyone an advantage as both cant see it I suppose but if people would like the vote made public before it finishes I can edit ongoing polls and do future ones differently.

Personally I don't see a problem with it being hidden and I think it has some benefits, like what you have mentioned.

Keep it as is imo

Advertisement