Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer draft legends discussion thread

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

at work at the moment i will post up my team in my matchthread this afternoon at some stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

as a complete outsider to the draft and the issues - feel bad for MM, do feel each person should be able to debate why their team should win, with the voters, which is only possible if people have to back up their reason for voting.

Would not like to see a player win simply because they have more mates on boards than the other person, and their mates vote for them just cause. Votes should be backed up with reasonable arguments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

I did vote.
    I didn't post ~(the only one so far that I didn't)
    I had my say on these tearms in this tread earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

I wouldn't put too much stock in the writeups. Set out how you're going to play, fine, but you would have to be detailing your ploy or your tactics in-depth and I'd have to agree to the merits of the plan, that it would affect the opponent and that it wouldn't be counteracted by your opponent's players. I'll look at the teams and how they match up, weigh the respective strengths, weaknesses and playing style of the teams and make my vote accordingly. The way the writeup is written is often a case of how the contestant wants the match to go, not necessarily how it's going to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Looks like a bit of a popularity contest this. You feel sorry for someone who puts in all the effort in the write up and research only to be beaten by a more popular member.

• Advertisement

Would be no harm to show who voted for who when poll finishes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

A number of people in my match thread stated that the teams were too close and so they weren't going to vote.

Seriously guys, this is a legends draft, all the teams are going to be close. Its my opinion that if you are going to be involved you should step up and make a choice. Base it on whatever you want, but at least cast a vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Looks like a bit of a popularity contest this. You feel sorry for someone who puts in all the effort in the write up and research only to be beaten by a more popular member.

Not really, to some people maybe one team was obviously better than the others. No amount of reading someone trying to convince them different will change some peoples minds.

Like I've stated before. I found the first draft very easy to pick a winner. In the second draft it's less easier as the teams being matched up are of a higher level obviously.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I'm really curious actually to see what formation Eli would have actually played, couldnt find a post of his with one so I just guessed at one from the players he picked for his match vs G.K

I'd have played a lopsided team myself. Robben's the only real source of natural width. Do you move Eusebio out from a central area? Pull Rivelino in central and go at it, hoping for the best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Rivelino on left, Robben right, would be my guess.

I'd never have Rivelino on the wing. You're losing out on so much creativity in the middle.

I'd never have Rivelino on the wing. You're losing out on so much creativity in the middle.

Absolutely, but I was thinking about where he played for Brazil in the 1970 WC, which was more on the left.

G.K. wrote: »
    Absolutely, but I was thinking about where he played for Brazil in the 1970 WC, which was more on the left.
    Tostao and Jairzinho were played alongside Pele no? With Gerson, Clodoaldo and Rivelino in midfield? Has PES 6 lied to me?

What I've read had it down as a 4-2-4, with Jairzinho and Rivelinho the widest men. But IDK.

I watched Brazil's matches about five years ago from the competition. But my understanding of tactics and ideals on the game have changed since then. We're both agreed he shouldn't be wide though, and it at least looks like he's tucked in on the teamsheet that Eli has up.

Very disappointed to lose in the first round to Incognitoman, not least because I genuinely think I have the better team. :D

I suspect many casual voters didn't see past Ronaldo and Henry up front, which is disappointing because I do think the most vital matchup on the park would be that of Best up against Maicon. Neither Henry nor Ronaldo will have half the impact Best would have had on that wing.

I guess Edwards was a divisive pick also. I was very close to taking Brady, which might have swayed a few votes, but still and all I don't regret the choice. My team was based around an extremely combatitive pair in central midfield and Edwards fit the bill perfectly in that regard. He is also still a proper legend.

Oh well, the voters didnt agree it seems, and votes are the whole point so, so be it. Good luck to Incognitoman in the next round.

yep hard luck Buckety & now Eugenious, with 1 game to end today and another tomorrow the current QF lineup looks like this atm:

Jax vs Pat
    Knex vs Whatawaster
    Moneymaker vs Blatter
    G.K vs Eli Manning
    Bounty Hunter vs Trippie
    Incognitoman vs BucketyBuck
    Morzadec vs eugenious
    Copper Pipe vs Redzerdog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

When abouts will the QF matches be drawn up do you think Bounty?

I'm heading away Tuesday evening for a week and I'm not sure I'll get Internet access while away, although at a scheduled time I can always try my best to do so.

Knex. wrote: »
    When abouts will the QF matches be drawn up do you think Bounty?

I'm heading away Tuesday evening for a week and I'm not sure I'll get Internet access while away, although at a scheduled time I can always try my best to do so.

Well as we can now add Eli & Redzer to the list the QFs are complete and I can do a draw at any time.

I'll probably do the draw today but no new games will be started until tommorow (Friday, remember I am several hours ahead too). Good to give the board a day without draft threads too. Thursday would still be 4 days before your heading away so you shouldnt have any issues but after the draw is made I can move your matchup to being one of the first QFs to guarantee now delay now that you have given notice. Should you win and not be around to oversee your teams progression because your going away perhaps we would have a Eli Manning type situation where we just put up your previous write up on your behalf.

• Advertisement

Well as we can now add Eli & Redzer to the list the QFs are complete and I can do a draw at any time.

I'll probably do the draw today but no new games will be started until tommorow (Friday, remember I am several hours ahead too). Good to give the board a day without draft threads too. Thursday would still be 4 days before your heading away so you shouldnt have any issues but after the draw is made I can move your matchup to being one of the first QFs to guarantee now delay now that you have given notice. Should you win and not be around to oversee your teams progression because your going away perhaps we would have a Eli Manning type situation where we just put up your previous write up on your behalf.

Perfect. Thanks again!

no worries Knex
    There were 8 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

Incognitoman
    Redzerdog
    Bounty Hunter
    Blatter
    Jax Teller
    Eli Manning
    Morzadec
    Knex

Timestamp: 2013-06-20 14:39:37 UTC

So after swapping the first and last fixture because Knex will be travelling the QFs read as

Morzadec vs Knex
    Bounty Hunter vs Blatter
    Jax Teller vs Eli Manning
    Incognito man vs Redzerdog

morza-incog-blat-Jax-BH-Knex-redz-eli
    abEWesLacr.jpgabEVPPXafg.jpgabEV9hValY.jpg
    Z4RMZbX.jpgabEVPtqaoy.jpgabEV9SBaiI.jpg
    abEYNJNahf.jpgabEYCBaano.jpg

Paired against a fellow Liverpool superthread poster for the second time. Should be fun :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

The quality of most of the teams left is going to make it nearly impossible to pick winners, it'll probably come down to who has the prettiest jersey.

I'll have my post for the quarter final up in a short while. Sorry for the wait.

Jax Teller vs Eli Manning
    Incognito man vs Redzerdog

congrats to Morzadec & Blatter too who will face someone from the above in the Semi's after eliminating myself & Knex respectfully.

the last 2 QFs will be posted today (but not till later), so heads up guys... i'll check if Eli is still about anyway before hand and give him time to make his own write up but if he isnt does anyone else want to be a caretaker for him. Maybe someone already eliminated who is still regularily posting here (like Knex for example) or someone who knows his team (G.K faced them last time)... if nobody puts their name forward and he isnt about again ill just put up his team like I did last time.

Now feel comfortable saying this as im out - Hummels was a brain fart on my behalf which I instantly regretted, was so close to picking Costacurta at the time

eli does seem to be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Yeah I'm ready to go. Bad luck GK in the last round. You picked a great team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Had 90% of my write-up typed up and then I xlosed it by accident :mad:

Will re-do again in the morning hopefully before 12

• Advertisement

Jax Teller
    Redzerdrog
    Morzadec
    Blatter

randomized =
    There were 4 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

Blatter
    Morzadec
    Redzerdrog
    Jax Teller

Timestamp: 2013-07-03 09:50:57 UTC

ha so the Semi-finals are as they were pre randomization and will be:

Blatter vs Morzadec

&

Redzerdrog vs Jax Teller

the first of which will be put up in the next 24hrs (if possible)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Had been following this thread right up till all the teams were picked have been away on holiday since then and like some other posters have mentioned I cant believe the omission of the great yugoslav/croat players of the 90s. A lot of them featured in the red star belgrade team that won the champions league and then yugoslavia 1990 WC and the croatia team that finished 3rd in 1998. Prosinecki and Stojkovic are two glaring omisions, arguments could be made for suker, robert jarni, boban to name a few more. Also surprised kevin keegan wasnt picked european player of the year twice in the 70s particularly when you consider the amount of english players picked.

As a matter of iNterest the daily fail has a piece on the "greatest 11 in history
    http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-2353806/Greatest-XI-history-football.html
    GK yashin
    rB cafu
    lb maldini
    cb b more
    cb f beckenbauer
    mf di stefano
    mf cruyff
    mf zidane
    md maradonna
    st messi
    st pele

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Cafu? Not a chance, the man couldn't defend.

Yeah, I've been surprised at the love Cafu got in this draft also, I wouldn't rate him nearly as highly as some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

That's 11 great players but It's a terrible team no balance to it at all .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Cafu? Not a chance, the man couldn't defend.

One of the most uninformed posts I've ever seen in the soccer forum.

Seaneh wrote: »
    One of the most uninformed posts I've ever seen in the soccer forum.
    Have to agree cafu is the best full back Ive ever seen.

If you're a full back that can attack, and you're from a Latin country, you can't defend it looks like. I saw someone say that Jordi Alba couldn't defend a few days ago.

If you're a full back that can attack, and you're from a Latin country, you can't defend it looks like. I saw someone say that Jordi Alba couldn't defend a few days ago.

In fairness, Jordi Alba is a crap defender. He's constantly out of position. He's not a fullback at all, he's a winger playing out of position. Great going forward, incapable of tackling or being in the right place defensively.

Seaneh wrote: »
    In fairness, Jordi Alba is a crap defender. He's constantly out of position. He's not a fullback at all, he's a winger playing out of position. Great going forward, incapable of tackling or being in the right place defensively.
    His tackling is one of his strong suits. Against Milan he made a fantastic tackle in a brilliant covering position that would have made it 3-1 on the night and had Milan going through, along with showing the discipline through the game to play as a centre back. I disagree entirely that he's a poor defender.

• Advertisement

And against Milan in the previous game against Milan he was the weak link that Milan exploited time and time again and Baoteng had a fantastic game because he was constantly left in acres of space because Alba was gone walk about.

Same for the Confed cup, Alba was constantly caught out by Candreva and Maggio in the semi and Italy got all of their best chances by going down their right (spain's left) because, again, Alba was gone walk about and Pedro has some weird fear of his own half.

Same in the confed cup final Brazil exploited the spanish left side time and time again.

It's funny, because I reckon everyone and their dog would consider Arbeloa to be spains weak link by a country mile (and he is their worst player) but it's against Alba that Spain and Barca's opponents get the most joy time and time again.

He's a very good player, he's a great attacker.

But he's not a fullback, end of story, he doesn't have the brain or the discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

You don't play for a dominant Milan team without being able to defend.

Cafu-Stam-Nesta-Maldini

That was a quality defence and I don't think the others were carrying Cafu.

Also Brazil conceded 3 goals in WC 94, and 4 goals in WC 2002, so he was part of a solid defence both times he won a World Cup.

Cafu is routinely named in these 'Best of All-Time teams', it shouldn't be much of a surprise he's in there.

Morzadec wrote: »
    Cafu is routinely named in these 'Best of All-Time teams', it shouldn't be much of a surprise he's in there.

I think it speaks a bit to the lack of really stand out right backs. Thats not to denigrate Cafu, but he is not nearly as good a defender as say, Maldini was on the left.

I think it speaks a bit to the lack of really stand out right backs. Thats not to denigrate Cafu, but he is not nearly as good a defender as say, Maldini was on the left.
    Cafu was so good going forward that he pinned back the oppositions winger. I cant ever remember him getting the run around defensively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

in fairness, over the last ~20 years no one is at maldinis level.

Advertisement