Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer draft legends discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Wasn't sure how much further Laudrup would slip and seeing as I'm last pick on the next round I thought I'd have to nab him now.

I honestly think the guy was a footballing genius and up there with midfield greats like Cruyff and Zidane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Morzadec wrote: »
    Wasn't sure how much further Laudrup would slip and seeing as I'm last pick on the next round I thought I'd have to nab him now.

I honestly think the guy was a footballing genius and up there with midfield greats like Cruyff and Zidane

Yeah, I was wondering how far he'd slip. Knew there wasn't a hope he'd be around by my next pick though.

He's a nice pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I was hoping top get Laudrup next pick but kind of knew he wouldn't last.

Out of interest, how did people rate Rivaldo in his prime?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Blatter wrote: »

Very good player. I personally think he went a bit high in the draft though.

Great player, however considering you already had Zidane I wonder is their other players that could perhaps have made for better value.

Interested to see how you line up with both of them.

Doubt it will be a pick you'll regret anyway as he was undeniably good. Racked up a load of individual awards in 99 I think so he was rivalling the likes of Zidane and Ronaldo at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Knex. wrote: »
    Great player, however considering you already had Zidane I wonder is their other players that could perhaps have made for better value.

Interested to see how you line up with both of them.

Doubt it will be a pick you'll regret anyway as he was undeniably good. Racked up a load of individual awards in 99 I think so he was rivalling the likes of Zidane and Ronaldo at the time.

Yeah not sure where I'll play them yet. Zidane played most of his football for Real on the left drifting in, played in the centre for France, was brilliant at both.

Rivaldo could play left, right and centre all at a high level. He was more of a forward than a midfielder whereas Zidane was more of a midfielder than a forward even though they could take up similar positions on the pitch. I think they'll compliment each other well in that regard.

Was considering him alongside Xavi, Laudrup and Ronaldinho for my 2nd pick (if they were available).

Don't see the problem playing Rivaldo out left and Zidane through the middle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Yeah not sure where I'll play them yet. Zidane played most of his football for Real on the left drifting in, played in the centre for France, was brilliant at both.

Rivaldo could play left, right and centre all at a high level. He was more of a forward than a midfielder whereas Zidane was more of a midfielder than a forward even though they could take up similar positions on the pitch. I think they'll compliment each other well in that regard.

I think people mostly think of Zidane as a central figure though as iirc I had him one year and had him on the left side of 3 AMs behind a CF and had many people saying all 3 AM were AMC despite the time he played in this position.

I'd have Rivaldo in one of the WF slots on your side if your formation at the end allows it and put Zizou central where as your no.1 draft pick and most likely best player he will also dictate things more and be your sides creative force stting the Rivaldo's etc on their way.

Garrincha, Xavi, Keane & Ronaldinho are gone from my 5 man if they make it to me in rd2 list, 1 person before me to nab the last name now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I was very surprised at how long it was before Xavi was taken. There are two players still there that I expected to be taken at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Michael Laudrup is a gem.

one of those that could easily have gone earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Was a toss up between him and Xavi for my 2nd pick.

Xavi being better known and more recent(therefore in peoples memories) was really the deciding factor. Both great players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I don't get the circle jerk regarding some of these players . Rivaldo & Laudrup both great players yes but there are some players that are just as good playing today that wouldn't get the same reaction from some of you's . I'm not going to mention any of them as that's generally what's done in these drafts .

Seems if your an older player you're automatically better than any of today's players & I don't buy that .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Jax Teller wrote: »
    I don't get the circle jerk regarding some of these players . Rivaldo & Laudrup both great players yes but there are some players that are just as good playing today that wouldn't get the same reaction from some of you's . I'm not going to mention any of them as that's generally what's done in these drafts .

Seems if your an older player you're automatically better than any of today's players & I don't buy that .

Rivaldo and Loudrup at their peak would stand out in any era. Aside from Messi and Ronaldo who are a different level, there are some players around today at their type of level, but so what? Those players will probably get drafted too. Xavi already has been.

the players of today are better. everything is faster, and everyone is stronger and fitter.

it was a different game completely.

but the talent of yesteryear can still be appreciated, and more than that, it is obvious that they had just as much talent as the players of today. it's only that today's players are so much fitter and stronger.

that is the only difference really.

Laudrup had more talent than Shaun Maloney (i'm assuming Maloney won't be picked!). but Maloney probably looks better than him because of the speed everything is done at nowadays. it's all about the speed. Laudrup kills him, and most other players that have ever lived, in terms of technique and vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

The romantic in me is hoping for Blatter to plump for a diamond and play Rivaldo as the LS. Never mind your worries about overlapping full backs, just think of the backheels! The intricacy!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Is there anyway to set up that when I get a pm from one of ye I receive an e-mail. Sorry about that delay today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Is there anyway to set up that when I get a pm from one of ye I receive an e-mail. Sorry about that delay today

EDIT: Completely misunderstood the question

Go into your Control Panel
    Click on Edit Options and its about the 6th check box
    The forum can send a message to your email address to inform you when someone sends you a private message.
    Receive Email Notification of New Private Messages

someone more helpful than me will hopefully come along soon :p but yes you can. Off the top of my head I can't say how to do it (must be in the boards settings) but when i get a pm i get an email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I'd say the best thing is to un-follow then re-follow and select the relevant email alert when the window pops up.

Ah I just want it for the private message

Edit: Its ok I got it

For anyone who wants to know its in Edit options on your user control panel then under 'Messaging & Notification' tick receive email for private message

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Bobby Charlton is a helluva pick imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Was wondering how long iniesta would take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I'm surprised to see Ronaldinho fall so far. He was almost universally lauded as the best in the World at one point. I'm not sure you could say the same about Carlos and Romario for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Baresi is already picked .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Baresi is already picked .
    apologies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Fixed

Amazed Carlos Alberto lasted this long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Seriously considered taking him in round 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I got home to find that those on my most wanted list are disappearing like flies. I wanted Figo badly, was hoping he would slip under the radar. :mad:

Cannavaro was one I was hoping for and considering taking in this round if available. Wasn't sure if he'd get the attention he warrants. Hopefully some of my targets slip down to me.

• Advertisement

Didn't think it would be so quick coming back around to me. Apologies for the delay.

Honestly that's who I was going to pick, will have a backup picked soon

2 of my CB choices just gone there. Good picks, the pair of you.

G.K. wrote: »
    2 of my CB choices just gone there. Good picks, the pair of you.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. A lot of the names I was thinking of for this round have been crossed off the list.

Still one in particular I would love, and another one or two that I'd be pleased if they were still available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Nesta's a great pick too. Quality centre-back, up there with Cannavaro imo

Morzadec wrote: »
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing. A lot of the names I was thinking of for this round have been crossed off the list.

Still one in particular I would love, and another one or two that I'd be pleased if they were still available

Bollocks Nesta was who I was talking about!

Absolutely, arguably better. Cannavaro has WC 2006 and a Balon d'Or in his favour, so I suppose you would have to say he shades it. But if Nesta hadn't picked up an injury that tournament...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Round 1:
    Pick|Player|User
    1|Ronaldo|JaxTeller
    2|Lionel Messi|Bounty Hunter
    3|Cristiano Ronaldo|Incognito Man
    4|Diego Maradona|Morzadec
    5|Johan Cruyff|G.K.
    6|Pele|Copper_pipe
    7|Zinedine Zidane|Blatter
    8|Alfredo Di Stefano|Moneymaker
    9|George Best|bucketybuck
    10|Franz Beckenbauer|Knex.
    11|Michel Platini|ITT-Pat
    12|Franco Baresi|redzerdrog
    13|Gerd Muller|eugeneious
    14|Marco van Basten|Eli Manning
    15|Paulo Maldini|whatawaster
    16|Lothar Matthaus|Trippie

Round 2:

Pick|Player|User
    1|Garrincha|Trippe
    2|Ferenc Puskas|whatawaster
    3|Eusebio|Eli Manning
    4|Zico|eugeneious
    5|Romario|redzerdrog
    6|Roberto Carlos|ITT-Pat
    7|Ronaldinho|Knex.
    8|Roy Keane|bucketybuck
    9|Xavi|Moneymaker
    10|Rivaldo|Blatter
    11|Bobby Charlton|Copper_pipe
    12|Jairzinho|G.K.
    13|Michael Laudrup|Morzadec
    14|Thierry Henry|Incognito Man
    15|Bobby Moore|Bounty Hunter
    16|Andres Iniesta|JaxTeller

Round 3:

Pick|Player|User
    1|Luis Figo|redzerdrog
    2|Andrea Pirlo|JaxTeller
    3|Giacinto Facchetti|G.K.
    4|Fabio Cannavaro |Copper_pipe
    5|Carlos Alberto|Trippie
    6|Ruud Gullit|Eli Manning
    7|Frank Rijkaard|Knex.
    8|Patrick Viera|Bounty Hunter
    9|Marcel Desailly|bucketybuck
    10|Fernando Hierro|whatawaster
    11|Alessandro Nesta|IncognitoMan

Scratch that, 3 CB's I were considering went. Have a pair firmly in mind now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Nesta at his peak was better imo. Not much in it though

• Advertisement

Christ, wasn't expecting all those CBs to be gone. Was hoping Hierro would slip through.

Have just the one left now from my original list!

there is one player I'm appalled is still available.

and there's a second, who i'm merely shocked hasn't been taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Haha, such sick value to be had right now!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Haha, such sick value to be had right now!

I think a lot of picks are being made with the final team shape in mind. For example, it might seem strange to be picking defenders when there are still legendary attackers available, but there is a long time between picks and if you want a particular player then you could easily take the decision to take him now. rather than another winger.

I also think that after 32+ picks, the absolute legends have now been taken and we are into the players who are still great, but for whom there will be alternatives who are also just as great.

Damn you Blatter. Damn you. Had hoped he'd sneek under the Radar till round 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think a lot of picks are being made with the final team shape in mind. For example, it might seem strange to be picking defenders when there are still legendary attackers available, but there is a long time between picks and if you want a particular player then you could easily take the decision to take him now. rather than another winger.

That is bad drafting strategy. You should pick on the basis of pure value rather than need until the last couple of rounds. It will always shake out better doing the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

That is bad drafting strategy. You should pick on the basis of pure value rather than need until the last couple of rounds. It will always shake out better doing the former.

I would of chosen gullit and rijkaard last two rounds if I went for positional desires. Still not the worst thing in the world to do

I have to disagree. Don't forget, people will be looking at two teams and looking for reasons to vote one or the other. If they see players out of position, too many similar players on top of each other in midfield, or a defense that appears to be in a different league to their attack, then human nature might mark that team down just enough.

I could have had George Best and the great Stanley Matthews in the same team if I wanted, but it wouldnt have been a good strategy either.

Man I was hoping to get at least one of those defenders, was hoping Hierro would slip through.

Stoichkov will do very nicely though :)

• Advertisement

There goes another on my list...

Advertisement