Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer draft legends discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Haha, such sick value to be had right now!

There's some great players still available but many of us have the positions they play in filled.

Need to strike a balance.

I'd be interested to know the players yourself and Slick think are great value - there are 2 in particular I think were top players but there's really no way i could fit either of them into my team

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I'd say if you counted up the commonly accepted "greatest players in history" then attacking midfielders and strikers would far out number other positions. You could end up with a very unbalanced team if you just picked on draft value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Stoichkov was sick value that late in the draft imo. There are still some others who should have been picked already imo.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Stoichkov was sick value that late in the draft imo. There are still some others who should have been picked already imo.

Imo there's a huge quantity of quality CF's still left, many of whom are as good as, nearly as good as or even better than Stoichcov.

Meanwhile the quality in the centre-back department is starting to wear thin...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Morzadec wrote: »
    Imo there's a huge quantity of quality CF's still left, many of whom are as good as, nearly as good as or even better than Stoichcov.

Stoickov was not a CF, he played on the left side most of his career.

I completely disagree with you about the CB's too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Stoichkov played most of his career as a left winger.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Stoickov was not a CF, he played on the left side most of his career.

I completely disagree with you about the CB's too.
    Moneymaker wrote: »
    Stoichkov played most of his career as a left winger.

Fair enough my bad. Remember him in '94 playing up front although I was 7 so I could have easily been mistaken!

I was 8 ^^

One of the first things I remember really clearly as a kid was him crushing souls at that World Cup, and all of Ireland going nuts when we beat Italy. :P

I was 8 ^^

One of the first things I remember really clearly as a kid was him crushing souls at that World Cup, and all of Ireland going nuts when we beat Italy. :P

World Cup 94 was when I fell in love with football. I watched every game I could and I have some really clear memories of the tournament despite how young I was. I remember opening my 7th birthday presents while watching highlights of Argentina's shock loss to Romania. Even remember watching the third place lay-off on an old black and white TV in the west of Ireland - Bulgaria were playing white and Sweden in yellow and I remember it was really difficult to tell them apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I wasn't even born during that WC. My first proper memories come from Euro 2008, because before then I was either going through one of my one or two periods of disenfranchisement with the game, or in bed when an interesting match was on.

Do remeber Ferdinand's drugs ban being announced, of all things, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Earliest memory is the 2002 WC, I remember Roy Keane being sent home and asking my dad can he play for any other country?!

Jesus and I thought I was one of the youngsters on this forum!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

There are a few players I had ear marked if I got a spot who haven't been sniffed out yet... gutted I left it too late :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Just to be pedantic but bucketybuck's desailly isnt the only player to win the cl in consecutive seasons with diffectent clubs. Pique and eto'o did it didn't they?

Just to be pedantic but bucketybuck's desailly isnt the only player to win the cl in consecutive seasons with diffectent clubs. Pique and eto'o did it didn't they?

Yeah Paulo Sousa also did it with Juve and Dortmund. Although I don't know if you can really count Pique, I'm not sure if he had much of an impact in United's win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I took that from Desaiily's wikipedia page. It cuts me deep that wiki lied to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

24 hours is too long to make your pick .
    ITT Pat isn't what I'd call a regular poster on the soccer forum either ,maybe his spot should have been given to someone else .

Jax Teller wrote: »
    ITT Pat isn't what I'd call a regular poster on the soccer forum either ,maybe his spot should have been given to someone else .

I left at 1 o'clock in the afternoon yesterday and sent a list of picks to BH cos I knew I wouldn't be back on til later in the evening (thought it would get round to me in the afternoon).

It's not that hard to just send a list of picks if you know you're going to be away.

This will take forever if people are taking 12 hours+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I see he's online now so should pick soon.

I agree that 24 hours is too long. If somebody doesn't have access to the internet at least every 12 hours, they shouldn't be in it or else they should be PMing somebody a list of picks beforehand.

The odd exception where a delay occurs is fine and that's all this time might be for Pat tbf. If this sort of thing happened regularly the draft would become quite tedious.

He's picked perfectly well in time in the first two rounds, I'm sure there's an explanation for the delay. No need to talk of kicking yet.

• Advertisement

G.K. wrote: »
    He's picked perfectly well in time in the first two rounds, I'm sure there's an explanation for the delay. No need to talk of kicking yet.

Maybe there is an explanation, but it is going to get very old very quick if we have to wait a day for one person to check his emails and go online. I think the question is what happens if this happens regularly with different people.

We all know in advance the pick order, it shouldn't be too hard to judge when your turn is coming up.

Pat out, Seán in, it's what the people ant, nay, it's what the people need!

Seaneh wrote: »
    Pat out, Seán in, it's what the people ant, nay, it's what the people need!

You've got about 2 and a half hours to wait...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Pat's gone offline again without picking.

That's a bit of a piss take in fairness. Let Seaneh take his place if he doesn't make the 24 hour cut imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I believe yurt was ahead of seaneh not that i have a preference plus in previous years there was a 2 strike policy with regards missing goes and being out but if the general cocensus is once would be better id be happy to go with that even though Personally I feel once is a lil harsh as anyone could legitimately miss 1 go, although yeah if your not sure you should pm someone your pick and if you are on lineline and thus can pick you obv should

Blatter wrote: »
    Pat's gone offline again without picking.

That's a bit of a piss take in fairness. Let Seaneh take his place if he doesn't make the 24 hour cut imo.

Was he definitely online?

Let Seaneh pick now imo if so.

Was he definitely online?

Let Seaneh pick now imo if so.

He was online more than once today, the last time of log in changed a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Apologies lads for the delay in getting my pick in. I was in over in London for the Ireland match. Was on the beer yesterday, and don't remember reading the PM that let me know it was my turn :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

ITT-Pat wrote: »
    Apologies lads for the delay in getting my pick in. I was in over in London for the Ireland match. Was on the beer yesterday, and don't remember reading the PM that let me know it was my turn :o

Pick again, figo is gone

• Advertisement

ITT-Pat wrote: »

You picked Figo, he has already been taken earlier.

No worries pat, good and all to see everyone so eager to play but its shy we have the 24hr rule. Pick again, ill edit out the mistake later when I get on a computer

haha, Crap, forgot Yurt was ahead of me, if someone does drop out, obviously, he gets in ahead of me, only fair.

Just so people know, Morzadec emailed me asking if I would post up his two picks after ITT-Pat posted, as he had to go out for a few hours.

Of course, as luck would have it, ITT-Pat then took one of the players he was going to choose, Ronald Koeman.

I could post up his other choice, but as he will need to pick an alternate I guess its better to just wait for him to come back online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Just so people know, Morzadec emailed me asking if I would post up his two picks after ITT-Pat posted, as he had to go out for a few hours.

Of course, as luck would have it, ITT-Pat then took one of the players he was going to choose, Ronald Koeman.

I could post up his other choice, but as he will need to pick an alternate I guess its better to just wait for him to come back online.

Fair enough. He's an active poster anyway so I'd imagine it won't be too late.

Lads I'm back online. Disappointed to miss out on Koeman but he was the 2nd of my 2 picks so no disaster. I'll get my picks up now

• Advertisement

I honestly completely forgot about Koeman. Class act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Cafu and Thuram. Damn you Morzadec!

Damn you Morzadec.

I honestly completely forgot about Koeman. Class act.

Yeah he looked great, probably the best free-kick taker ever and he could also hit a sweet long pass.

Anyway I can't be too disappointed about getting Cafu in there as there's a decent argument for him being the best right back of all time

Knex. wrote: »
    Cafu and Thuram. Damn you Morzadec!
    Damn you Morzadec.

Ha sorry lads!

• Advertisement

Thuram is an even better pick then Cafu because he can play right back or move inside. Quality players that are also versatile are so good to have in a format like this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Thuram is a great pick.

Sure is, had my sights set on him.

Curses, had my sights on both of 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Thing is he can't play Thuram at right back now as he has Cafu .

Well unless he has some tactical wizardry up his sleeve .

Two right backs in a lopsided formation, it's ingenious I'm telling you!

I always more or less planned to play Thuram CB, I think it's where he played the majority of his football and his best football. It's true that he would've been a good contingency if a lot of good right-backs suddenly went, but the plan was always Thuram at CB

No I just mean Thuram in general is a great pick because of his versatility. Like Maldini can play LB/CB equally as brilliantly, Di Stefano can play anywhere in the attacking area of the pitch rather then someone who only plays one position. Gives you more options late on and more tactical possibilities.

Thuram played RB most of his career iirc, he only moved inside when he lost some of his pace.

Yeah you'd have to think he will have Thuram at CB. I'd say almost everyone had those two in mind and Cafu in particular I'd say is great value as I couldn't see him lasting much longer plus in many ways he would be the guy I'd expect to see in a world XI from my lifetime as I'd not have seen as much of older (arguably better) RBs

No I just mean Thuram in general is a great pick because of his versatility. Like Maldini can play LB/CB equally as brilliantly, Di Stefano can play anywhere in the attacking area of the pitch rather then someone who only plays one position. Gives you more options late on and more tactical possibilities.

Thuram played RB most of his career iirc, he only moved inside when he lost some of his pace.

speaking of this what would peoples opinions on Messi be? Obviously he is versatile and can play a number of positions ans with a such vast array of eligable players this could be of benefit but would it count against me with some if I played him in certain positions (obviously not Def)

Has to be a false nine imo. Obviously he'll still be good on the wing but he's most deadly in a central position.

• Advertisement
Advertisement