Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer draft legends discussion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

If anyone wants I can randomise the draw for next round.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Has to be a false nine imo. Obviously he'll still be good on the wing but he's most deadly in a central position.

thought as much tbh, have considerd playing a CF infront of him if there was value to be had but a false no.9 seems the obvious choice

Scholes (just gone) is obviously a very solid pick too.

edit: sure why not G.K

Voila:
    There were 16 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

1. Moneymaker
    2. eugeneious
    3. Bounty Hunter
    4. IncognitoMan
    5. ITT-Pat
    6. Copper_pipe
    7. Jax Teller
    8. Trippie
    9. whatawaster
    10. Eli Manning
    11. Knex
    12. Morzadec
    13. Redzerdrog
    14. Bucketybuck
    15. G.K.
    16. Blatter

Timestamp: 2013-05-31 17:57:36 UTC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

So basically I am in full on Keegan mode in regards my team selection now.

Least the games will be entertaining :)

I was hoping to be above a certain other participant in the next round. May have to move my Round 5 selection forward if he doesn't get taken by anyone else this round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

G.K. wrote: »
    I was hoping to be above a certain other participant in the next round. May have to move my Round 5 selection forward.

I'm debating the exact same thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Knex. wrote: »
    Cafu and Thuram. Damn you Morzadec!

hahahaham the two best right backs of the lkast 20 years the bastard!

I can see him playing a 3-2-3-2 with 3 centre backs, 2 wing backs, 3 centre mids and 2 strikers to get the best out of both!

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Batistuta is a great pick imo. Was surprised it took so long for him to be picked and would have done so myself but couldn't fit him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

So basically I am in full on Keegan mode in regards my team selection now.

Least the games will be entertaining :)

Batistuta is a very good pick imo. I'm not sure how highly others rated him so I though he might fall a few more rounds. Also there's quite a lot of other very good strikers, but Batistuta is definitely the complete package.

2nd best striker of the modern era imo (after Ronaldo)

• Advertisement

speaking of this what would peoples opinions on Messi be? Obviously he is versatile and can play a number of positions ans with a such vast array of eligable players this could be of benefit but would it count against me with some if I played him in certain positions (obviously not Def)

I'd say playing on either wing or as a central attacker and you're laughing, playing him as a central attacking midfielder and you kinda stifle him I think.

Seaneh wrote: »
    I'd say playing on either wing or as a central attacker and you're laughing, playing him as a central attacking midfielder and you kinda stifle him I think.

He's been very effective there for Argentina in the last 2 years or so. Really doesn't matter where he plays, its still Messi, but false nine is where you'll get the maximum out of him.

He's been very effective there for Argentina in the last 2 years or so. Really doesn't matter where he plays, its still Messi, but false nine is where you'll get the maximum out of him.

When he plays behind another player I find he's far too easily negated by the opposition. Which why he tends to not do as good for Argentina as he does for Barcelona.

Play him as one of 3 attackers on either flank or as a false 9 and he's at his best. He does his best work finishing moves, not starting them, in my opinion.

There goes that Round 5 pick...

BLATTER YOU'VE TAKEN BOTH OF MY EARMARKED MIDFIELDERS I WILL DESTROY YOU ;P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Damn you Blatter.

I was considering taking. Redondo as early as round 2

Ah Fernando, the player Pep wishes he could have been.

• Advertisement

Excellent choice indeed. Amazing player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

I just started clutching my head and laughing halfway through that Batistuta video. Number #18 is just comical. Brutal power. He monsters Baresi as well FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The random draws are killing me. Late every round, and after my next pick there will be 21 legends gone before I pick again. There are a few gems left, but I can't see them lasting another 21 picks. Oh well, thems the breaks.

I just started clutching my head and laughing halfway through that Batistuta video. Number #18 is just comical. Brutal power. He monsters Baresi as well FFS.

In #1? Makes a fool out of him! I loved #18 as well. Some power on his shots. He could mix it up when he wanted too.

I admire him for staying at Firentina so long but it would have been great if we could have seen him more at his peak playing in a Champions League team.

Brutal power. He monsters Baresi as well FFS.

in #18?

Be doing well, Berasi retired in 1997, that game was in 1997/1998, I'd recognize Ibrahim Ba's stupid hair anywhere :P
    [edit] nevermind, you meant #1, hadn't got that far. Yeah, Franco was pretty bad there. He was about 38 and slow as feck at that stage :P

• Advertisement

in #18?

Be doing well, Berasi retired in 1995, that game was in 1997/1998, I'd recognize Ibrahim Ba's stupid hair anywhere :P

No I think he's talking about #1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

in #18?

Be doing well, Berasi retired in 1995, that game was in 1997/1998, I'd recognize Ibrahim Ba's stupid hair anywhere :P

Ba is the one left outside the box no? I'm on about the deeper defender, thought it was Baresi, but you'd know more about the league than me. Who was he?

Apologies for the lack of clarity, on about #1.

I just love whether he's 40 yards or 40 inches from goal he smashes the ball as hard as he could. Must have gone through some number of nets. :P

Was a shame he didn't join a top club but doesn't take away from his ridiculous ability. Remember how strong Serie A was back then and he just took the piss every week and scored a ton in the CL/UC too.

Ba is the one left outside the box no? I'm on about the deeper defender, thought it was Baresi, but you'd know more about the league than me. Who was he?

Apologies for the lack of clarity, on about #1.

Ba wasn't even playing for Milan when #1 was scored (some time around 1995/1996 season I reckon). It's Maldini at left full who is left at the edge of the box.

Making a monkey of the two best defenders of the modern era. Jaysus.

About time Baggio was picked.

I'd have gone for him many rounds ago but not the kind of player I was looking for. Absolute genius though.

I knew I shouldn't have left Charles this late, I knew it!

Best ever player for my club AND country. *sobs*

Must stop taking this so seriously...

Baggio was my next pick..So many players I've wanted have been scratched off the list in the last day or so.

About time Baggio was picked.

I'd have gone for him many rounds ago but not the kind of player I was looking for. Absolute genius though.

Baggio was one of the player I mentioned earlier when I was talking about quality players that hadn't been picked but couldn't fit into my team.

One of the first real stars I knew in football.

A great player, but with both Maradona and Laudrup already I was never going to be considering him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There was another player I really wanted, but with so long until my next pick I couldnt take the risk of missing out on Baggio. Not only is he a genuine legend, but I also needed a player exactly his type to tie a few things together. Delighted to have him.

Right, give me just a short while and I'll have my pick up.

• Advertisement

Happy to go with Nedved in the end. Toughest pick so far for me as there's a few players left that I really want, but think Nedved will fit nicely into my team. Versatile player as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Been following this eagerly. Moneymaker has got himself the bones of a serious attacking team, I reckon one of the strongest so far. Surprised there hasn't been many keepers picked yet. That can make or break a team

Knex. wrote: »
    Happy to go with Nedved in the end. Toughest pick so far for me as there's a few players left that I really want, but think Nedved will fit nicely into my team. Versatile player as well.

Nedved was unreal 2003 ish. Very good choice.

Generally people put off picking Keepers for as long as they can but when one person bites, usually everyone goes for them then. Plenty to choose from though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

As someone said there's an abundance of really good keepers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Baggio only just going is a disgrace.

a genius.

there's one more I'm in disbelief hasn't been taken.

There is a certain slav i am stunned hasnt gone yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

John Charles is unbelievable value at round 4. The Juve fans rated him higher than Platini who went in round 1 :eek:. Plus you can pick him at centre back or forward. Or do what Juve did and send him back to the defence midmatch after he gives you the lead :cool:.

Massive bias to modern players so far. Stanley Matthews is the only pre WWII player I think. If I was in this I'd be googling to pack my team with them and then blame my defeat on the ignorance of the masses :cool:. Still, there must be some real gems to pick up here.

Said I'd drop this in here for those following the draft.

yem6d5z.png

34 of 58 players picked played in the 90's :eek:. We know what the golden age of football was anyway!

Morzadec and Redzerdog have all 90s players. G.K. and Trippie are the odd ones out with none.

• Advertisement

Morte wrote: »
    34 of 58 players picked played in the 90's :eek:. We know what the golden age of football was anyway!

Morzadec and Redzerdog have all 90s players. G.K. and Trippie are the odd ones out with none.

Think its just GK so far actually. Matthaus played in the 90s as well.

He did of course. I knew I only counted one when I did it the first time.

I would call Thuram a 00's player and Maradona a 80s player. They both played in the 90s (like Laudrup played in the 80s and Cafu played in the 00s) but I wouldn't associate that decade with them if you look at their career as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Time difference and long day at work meant I wasnt around earlier. my planned picks took an absolute raping. Scirea is a great pick, had his write done and all, then did carlos albertos and finally went with the wrong one i think perhaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Team so far : Pele, B. Charlton, Cannavaro, gheorge Hagi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hagi was a god.

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    Baggio only just going is a disgrace.

a genius.

there's one more I'm in disbelief hasn't been taken.

Now that he's gone, was it Hagi you were talking about here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Morzadec wrote: »
    Now that he's gone, was it Hagi you were talking about here?

not Hagi.

and I may be overplaying the second one slightly. but I was a huge fan.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Massive bias to modern players so far. Stanley Matthews is the only pre WWII player I think. If I was in this I'd be googling to pack my team with them and then blame my defeat on the ignorance of the masses :cool:. Still, there must be some real gems to pick up here.

There's a certain player that any reader of Inverting The Pyramid should be sizing up that fits this mould perfectly. ;)

SlickRic wrote: »
    not Hagi.

and I may be overplaying the second one slightly. but I was a huge fan.

Would this Slav's reputation have be tarred somewhat by a move he made late in his career, despite coming back with a heroic swan song at the end?

I can see that Suarez pick causing problems in future.

"Why the hell are ye playing Suarez there ye ****in eejit ye?" :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement