Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer draft legends discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Would this Slav's reputation have be tarred somewhat by a move he made late in his career, despite coming back with a heroic swan song at the end?

nope.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

SlickRic wrote: »
    nope.

Different slav so. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

lads i am in work and cant pm for some reason will someone pm whoever is next for me please

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

redzerdrog wrote: »
    lads i am in work and cant pm for some reason will someone pm whoever is next for me please

tis moneymaker to start off the next round and tis sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Depending on the third midfielder Moneymaker picks up, it could be very, very hard going for other teams in there. A playmaking midfielder would see him have an ominous amount of ball. A shuttling midfielder would see him very hard to break down, he might end up hustling other teams out of it.

took Gento, too old for me to have seen at the time obviously and yet even still im surprised he lasted this long and dont think he woulda been available too much longer, reads like he would fit in perfectly on my side imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

It was between Edgar and someone else. Hopefully I made the right choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Dammit, my pick gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Pretty happy with most of my list staying intact this time, albeit only about 12 picks between my last. another 16 to go until next time. Hoping to have as many options open as I did this round. Delighted to get breitner who I had earmarked just after Scirea as knew I wouldnt get one of the top 2 defenders.

He brings great versatility to the team and will help with picking later on. Good with the ball at his feet, can launch attacks for me and will hack the crap out of anyone who come nears him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Considered Breitner myself back in the last round.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Swore I wouldn't read these threads for all the cringe generation comparisons and bull****ting about players people never saw. Lasted two minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Is it wrong that I sometimes read the picks thread and feel happy when I see somebody pick a player I don't rate at all?

Is it wrong that I sometimes read the picks thread and feel happy when I see somebody pick a player I don't rate at all?

Not at all I'm sure many do, no slight against those picked it just means that your more likely to get the guy you want
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    Swore I wouldn't read these threads for all the cringe generation comparisons and bull****ting about players people never saw. Lasted two minutes.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't on this ssue tbh not many would have seen puskas, di Stefano or even Pele play but I wouldn't begrudge anyone telling me how good they were

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I'd have thought the mountain of trophies and personal accolades would be proof enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Can someone please PM the next guy. It won't work for me.

he's not online now but gave me a list incase that was the case so 1min and ill post his next pic up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Sorry for the delay lads, was out all day and didn't think it would move so quick on a Sunday.

Disappointed to see Souness going as he was one I had in mind and thought he might drop a bit further.

There's not all that many good attacking left-backs left so decided to nab Lizarazu now.

Lahm is a great pick, would have been my planned next pick except I knew he would never last that long, argueably the best or at least in the top 3 of both RBs and LBs in the world atm

Yeah Lahm a very logical pick being able to play both full-back roles, and obviously one of the best in his position the last 10 years or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Lahm is a great pick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Lahm gives me great options for picks further down the line, was suprised he made it to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Surprised Lahm lasted until now. A good few other current players that I'm surprised are still left out, whether they're better or not people will this game picking players that people know and know of. Picking players that were, according to all sources great, legends even, is probably the right pick for your team, but may not necessarily be the best pick.

Sammer a great pick buckety - 1996 was my first Euros and he was the best player in that winning German team. I considered him in previous rounds.

One thing - you refer to him as a defender. I think he was more of a midfielder/sweeper so I'm not sure if he ever played a traditional CB role. From what I remember of him and glancing at his videos he looks more of a midfielder to me.

Actually, while we're on the topic, how would people describe the extinct sweeper role in modern terms? Is the current defensive midfielder a mutation of the old sweeper? A kind of 3rd 'defender' who allows attacking full-backs to bomb forward while also possessing some technical attributes (wider range of passing for example) than the traditional CB?

Busquets is often referred to as a 'tercero central' (a third centre back), with Alves and Alba playing as very attacking wing-backs, like in the old 5-3-2. Would Busquets have been classes as a sweeper if he played 20 years ago?

He did start as a midfielder, but he played as a sweeper throughout his successful years up until the injury ended his career. I'm more than happy to play him as a defender alongside Desailly, both because he would be excellent at it, and because in this fictional game I doubt he would be up against the likes of Niall Quinn or Andy Carroll, he will be facing skillful tricky players where his reading of the game will be far more important than anything else.

He's definitely a defender for me, though his versatility is a plus also.

Sammer was going to be considered for my next pick

• Advertisement

I have to say midfield is proving to be the trickiest. I have a few strikers that I will be glad to take from here but my centre midfield list isn't as long.

Still haven't got a player from the 90's, somehow.

And in one post blatter takes two off my full back list

Cole & Irwin. I know he's versatile but surely Irwin is considerd to be primarily a LB like Cole

Yeah good solid picks by Baltter as imo the full-back position looks complicated at the moment.

I considered Cole but in the end went for Lizarazu. Much of a muchness probably, both excellent attacking fullbacks who can also defend really well.

• Advertisement

Don't understand taking both Cole and Irwin. Irwin played right back a few times, but he was very much a left back.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Cole & Irwin. I know he's versatile but surely Irwin is considerd to be primarily a LB like Cole

Yeah, I was surprised with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Irwin played right back a lot for Oldham, Ireland and United initially. He played left back for United most of the time because they had other excellent right backs who were not as comfortable at left back.

Irwin was two footed and equally as good/comfortable in both positions.

Edit: I was fairly sure that it was common knowledge that he could play both positions equally well. Forgetting the fact that he actually proved it on the pitch, why wouldn't he have been able to given he was two footed?

Somewhat similar to Desailly. he was an incredible defensive midfielder in his Milan days, only moved to centre back towards the end of his career iirc.

anyone done the draw for the next round yet?

Trippie wrote: »
    anyone done the draw for the next round yet?

nope but feel free to, random.org has been used so far, ill copy and paste it into the other thread when its done too

I have already done one before so didnt want to push it too much.

There were 16 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

Redzerdrog
    Copper_pipe
    Bounty Hunter
    eugeneious
    ITT-Pat
    Trippie
    Eli Manning
    Bucketybuck
    whatawaster
    Morzadec
    Jax Teller
    Blatter
    Moneymaker
    G.K.
    IncognitoMan
    Knex
    Timestamp: 2013-06-03 13:35:28 UTC

Gaak.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

G.K. wrote: »
    Gaak.

Never heard of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Damn you bucketybuck! Really thought Zanetti would fall to me!

• Advertisement

Would be cool if someone did one of those grid thingies and showed all the picks so far.

ITT-Pat wrote: »
    Damn you bucketybuck! Really thought Zanetti would fall to me!

Sorry. I wasn't actually going to take him in this round, I was going to go for Gerrard instead, but as I said in my write up I think when people are analysing the final teams they could see some legendary wingers up against relatively poor fullbacks, and make their votes with that in mind. I decided I wanted a quality fullback now, and Zanetti was a no-brainer.

I see Gerrard has now gone, I am curious where he will be played. I was going to take him, to play on the right side where Rafa always played him. He was never a central midfielder, I wonder if he will be deployed there?

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Would be cool if someone did one of those grid thingies and showed all the picks so far.

Like so?

Draft_Legends6.png

No colour coding I'm afraid.

I see Gerrard has now gone, I am curious where he will be played. I was going to take him, to play on the right side where Rafa always played him. He was never a central midfielder, I wonder if he will be deployed there?
    He is best as an attacking midfielder Imo. He will need cover behind him

Who's holding this up this time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Eli Manning has the next pick so he's holding it up .

He was online about an hour ago and didn't pick so maybe Knex never pm'ed him ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

No never got a PM and am on my phone so I've no notifications for the draft thread. Ill pick now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

G.K. wrote: »
    Like so?

Draft_Legends6.png

No colour coding I'm afraid.

Interesting thread some great picks all round. I like the look of morzadecs side two great full backs, alonso to dictate the play and to top it all off Maradona.

Thought Shevchenko would be gone by now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

finally, Weah is gone.

are there no other Football Italia nuts from the 90s on here?

being able to get him in Round 6 is shameful IMO.

Advertisement